dentist- when is a good time for a visit? fluoride? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been afraid to ask this question but when is a good age to take your toddler to the dentist? When can they start using fluoride? I am living in Paris right now and it's incredibly hard to find toothpaste without fluoride- is a small bit okay before bed time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM

I don't know about the dentist or fluoride (we haven't been yet) but we use the Weleda Children's tooth gel and I know that Weleda products are available in France. My DD loves the anise flavour and it seems to get her teeth clean when she lets me brush them!

http://www.weleda.fr/fr/les-produits...nts/index.html

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Earlier the better for the dentist so they get used to the idea. I know she was under a year at the first visit.

My dentist recommends fluoride toothpaste but our water isn't fluoridated.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM

ODS went to the dentist for the first time at 16 months. He will be going again soon. He got teeth quite early, and had 16 teeth by the age of 1. I personally prefer taking my children to places like the dentist when they're quite young so that they can get accustomed to it.

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

Old 06-12-2010, 05:15 PM

I think the first "real" visit to the dentist is about 2. But i used to work at a dental office and from about 6 months, they liked you to bring the baby in when you had your cleaning (every 6 months), just to watch at first, then go for a ride in the chair, and then count the teeth.
That way when they are 2, they are more familiar with the whole thing. I have no idea how common this is. My current dental office that i go to thought it was a bit weird when i asked if my son (age 1) could ride in the chair after my appt. But then i talked to then about how we did it at my old office and they all thought it was a really good idea!

SAHM to 4 cats, DS 5/09, DD 3/12 and 3# due 4/15. Home birthing, non vax, anti circ, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, real food eating pretty darn crunchy mama.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post
I think the first "real" visit to the dentist is about 2. But i used to work at a dental office and from about 6 months, they liked you to bring the baby in when you had your cleaning (every 6 months), just to watch at first, then go for a ride in the chair, and then count the teeth.
That way when they are 2, they are more familiar with the whole thing. I have no idea how common this is. My current dental office that i go to thought it was a bit weird when i asked if my son (age 1) could ride in the chair after my appt. But then i talked to then about how we did it at my old office and they all thought it was a really good idea!
Yeah, that's how it worked when my son was little. Granted, he also inherited HORRIBLE teeth from Daddy, and had two cavities filled and one pulled all before he was three. I'll also add that not all pediatric dentists are equal. The one we went to for the cavities to be filled was awful. He was terrified and cried, and they were not very understanding (I should have realized something was amiss when there were no toys in the waiting room of a pediatric dentist...) The other one was wonderful - no tears, and that was more serious dental work!

Fluoride: I don't like it much. I feel bad about not using it in my son's toothpaste, since he already has tooth issues. But, I also don't like the way the human body and fluoride react with each other. So, we compromise. Our water is fluoridated, our toothpaste is not, and we don't mention it to the dentist, but only get a fluoride treatment every other visit because that's what insurance pays for (and I don't want to pay for something I'm not sure I want in the first place).

Just my two cents' worth!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post
My Ped suggested this to us. He said DS should watch both Mommy & Daddy get their teeth cleaned first & get accustomed to the idea of the whole process. Our Ped also said a dentist is not needed until betw 3 & 5yo unless there is a problem.

Fluoride is a NEVER in this house for any of us. Simply put it is a poison. Do a lot of research before you choose to ever give it to your child. There is even a lot of great info here on MDC just do a search. Also on utube.

I used to work in a water treatment plant that didnt use fluoride, but we were all well aware of its dangers bec it was always a concern that we were going to have to start working with it. Let me just say that almost everyone there did not give it to their DC - please educate yourself!!! Even our Ped said no to Fl at a young age (until they are very proficient at rinsing & spitting)

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 01:06 AM

I think the official recommendation is to schedule a visit after they get their first tooth.

IIRC, there is some limited proof that topical fluoride will strengthen enamel, but very little proof that it will help if ingested (and I have some concerns about fluoride from a bone-health pov). I would use fluoride topically before drinking fluoridated water, though we don't do either.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM

The CDC has a new-ish article on their website regarding children and fluoride. Basically, it states that children should not use fluoride until they can control swallowing, and not swallow fluoride toothpaste. It also says that fluoride is only beneficial as a topical treatment, not to ingest, as some dentists (including mine) believe. The article states that if your water has a lot of fluoride (there are measurements in the article, and links to find out how much your locality has, though probably not Europe), you should not use any fluoride treatments with your child, even adolescents.

The Academy of Pediatric Dentists or whatever suggests visiting the dentist within six months of first tooth. That said, I took DS at like 13 months, and the dental staff didn't know how to handle a toddler. The dentist was good, but the hygenist had unrealistic expectations of his age. Which I think means not many kids go to the dentist (at least this one) as young as we did. And, none of my friends have been yet, and their kids are all 4-12 months older than my DS.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoirseC View Post
I think the official recommendation is to schedule a visit after they get their first tooth.

IIRC, there is some limited proof that topical fluoride will strengthen enamel, but very little proof that it will help if ingested (and I have some concerns about fluoride from a bone-health pov). I would use fluoride topically before drinking fluoridated water, though we don't do either.
This is the kind my ped recommended. I should have said that in my pp. He does not recommend ingesting it.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 AM

just a thing to look into-here, they have a dentist chair at the local health unit. So you can take your baby/toddler in to get a check up and a trained health nurse will do it and refer you to the dentist if need be. but, they are really child friendly and help your kiddo get used to someone looking in their mouth.

not sure if they would have that in paris?

erica.mommy to korbin (july 11/07) + taylor (june 21/09)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM

The major dental organizations in the states like the ADA recommend taking kids in by age 1. However, it used to be age 3. My dentist (who by the way is the most awesome dentist in the whole entire world ) says she sees no reason to start until around age 3. This is in line with what all of my friends with kids have said their dentists recommend as well.

I took my daughter when she was about 3 1/2. She had never been to the office or anything, and she did fantastic. Of course the staff there is super, and we had talked a lot about what was going to happen in the weeks leading up to it. She was actually really excited to go. All they wanted to do was to get her used to the chair and looking in her mouth. They weren't going to make her do anything she did want to. But she let them examine, scrap, floss, and brush. The only thing she didn't like was the polishing thing, so we skipped it. She did that at her next visit though no problem.

It's my understanding that kids should not use fluoride toothpaste until they can reliably spit it out 100% of the time. That's at least what our dentist recommends. I started my daughter when she was around 4, maybe a bit before. Before that, I used Weleda Children's Toothgel for her, and I still use it for my one year old. It's a European (Swiss?) company, so if I can get it here, I seems like it would be available in France.

coolshine.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

This is one of those things that simply varies *hugely* with your dentist... I need to make DS1's first appointment here before august so he can goto preschool. He's 3, and thats the age at which my/our dentist starts seeing kids, assuming theres no obvious problems (ie tooth knocked out or something).

User Tag List