pacifier damaging teeth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter became super addicted to her pacifier after she got an ear infection. She used to just need it at night but seem to need it 24/7 now. I notice her front upper teeth seem to be pushed forward... is this from the pacifier. Does anyone have suggestions on how to wean her off- I've heard tobassco sauce (which seems unhealthy on the stomach) and cutting the pacifier so she can't suction as well.
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM

My daughter uses a pacifier. We plan to take it away in the fall, shortly before she turns 2. I don't have any concerns about her teeth.

My older brother used a pacified until he was two. He has PERFECT teeth, not even one is even slightly crooked. Hate him

I did not use a pacifier. I sucked my fingers, for far too long. I mean really really way too long.

I had some sort of orthodontic piece and/or braces in my mouth for almost four years before I got my nice teeth.

And I know people who did none of the above who had nice straight teeth and some who have very crooked teeth.

I don't think you need to worry.
#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 AM

yes long term and frequent paciifer use can damage the bite. Open bite ( where the front teeth dont touch) is the most common issue.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#4 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 AM

relatives always cut a little hole (or maybe big one) in end of pacifier and say "all broken" when weaning from it.. they no longer wanted it after that but the kid could see it was broken and could try using it for a day or so but I guess it worked for them and they were much older like age 2 or 3.. Mine was never attached to anything but the boob so I didnt have that problem

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 AM

My son has been very attached to his binky since 8 weeks. It is a newborn one, not the orthodontic kind. It has brought his 4 top front teeth forward and created a gap in his bite. Our dentist told us it isn't a huge deal until 2.5/3 when the adult tooth buds start forming in the gums. Which is why we're in the process of weaning him off of it. He uses it now only for nap and bedtime.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page