Unhealthy habit - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this should be in GD or here... but it's definitely a toddler issue so I'm going to start it out here.

DD just turned 3. She's had a bad habit for at least 6 months to a year (frankly, as long as I can remember) of sliding her hands down the back of her pants and poking at her bottom.

Many times it's an unconscious gesture. We always gently tell her to take her hands out of her pants and wash her hands.

Lately, though, she seems to be doing it knowing that we don't want her to. Tonight, we were reading stories before bed and I noticed she was doing it. I checked her hands and, sure enough, they were stinky.

I told her that we don't put our hands in our bottoms. That she could get sick. Let's go wash our hands.

Then she started laughing at me. Clearly, she thought it was funny... and perhaps (although I hope this wasn't the case) did it on purpose. And my blood started to boil (DD laughing at me when I try to correct her royally pushes my buttons - and I'm sure she knows it). I had to step out of the room.

How can I get her to stop this? I can't really ignore it - it's not healthy or sanitary. Aaaargh!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM

I have no advise, but wanted to give ya a . Toddlers can be so frustrating. This will pass and hopefully someone will come along with the answers you need.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 01:30 AM

The more of a power struggle it becomes, the longer it will last. I think in this case, because it's an issue of cleanliness, I would just wait til her hands come out and then take her to wash her hands. Avoid trying to make her stop, and she'll grow out of it.

And the laughing at you--she has discovered this little bit of power over you. The only thing to do is NOT LET IT BOTHER YOU. When it no longer represents power over you, it too will fade away.

Button-pushing only works when there's a big red button out there begging to be pushed Once the button is gone, it can no longer be pushed.

And this is a good reminder to me right now

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#4 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 AM

My DD2 did this. She's also 3. I agree-- the more attention you draw to it, by asking her to stop, the longer the habit is likely to persist. And the more likely it becomes that she'll start doing it deliberately TO push your buttons (3 year olds are MASTERS at that!)

I had a hard time ignoring it, though, because i have two other young children, so I'm not always paying attention closely enough to catch DD as soon as she takes it out, to wash. And she's also a finger-sucker. So what I finally started doing is using safety pins to pin her shirt to her underpants, from the inside. It means she needs help in the bathroom, of course, and it looks a little funny- although I can manage to pin it so it's barely noticeable-- but it saves me a lot of EWWWW moments, and saves me having to hassle DD. She just CAN'T get her hand in there, so she's moved on to other things. And now I don't have to pin anymore, because the habit is broken.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
So what I finally started doing is using safety pins to pin her shirt to her underpants, from the inside.
Would a onesie work like this, I wonder?
#6 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM

The safety pin tip got me thinking about another clothing option. We were just at Target this morning I saw a bunch of rompers like this one for little girls. They had a super cute one that I don't see online but it was brown poplin material with little white dots and a pink fabric flower at the top by the strap. I actually wanted one for myself. Also, you could try finding one piece jammies. I know Hanna Andersson makes some up to size 3.
#7 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN View Post
The more of a power struggle it becomes, the longer it will last. I think in this case, because it's an issue of cleanliness, I would just wait til her hands come out and then take her to wash her hands. Avoid trying to make her stop, and she'll grow out of it.

And the laughing at you--she has discovered this little bit of power over you. The only thing to do is NOT LET IT BOTHER YOU. When it no longer represents power over you, it too will fade away.

Button-pushing only works when there's a big red button out there begging to be pushed Once the button is gone, it can no longer be pushed.

And this is a good reminder to me right now
I know you're right. Sometimes, I just don't know what to do, how to show that I'm not affected by it while at the same time not giving approval for the behavior. Do I simply ignore her when she laughs at me? Walk away? Obviously, showing my frustration (even if it's only by my expression) only makes it worse.

#8 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I had a hard time ignoring it, though, because i have two other young children, so I'm not always paying attention closely enough to catch DD as soon as she takes it out, to wash. And she's also a finger-sucker. So what I finally started doing is using safety pins to pin her shirt to her underpants, from the inside. It means she needs help in the bathroom, of course, and it looks a little funny- although I can manage to pin it so it's barely noticeable-- but it saves me a lot of EWWWW moments, and saves me having to hassle DD. She just CAN'T get her hand in there, so she's moved on to other things. And now I don't have to pin anymore, because the habit is broken.
Ick! Yeah, it's hard when you have more than one little one. Sometimes I'm distracted by the baby.

I like your safety pin suggestion - I may have to try that!

#9 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
The safety pin tip got me thinking about another clothing option. We were just at Target this morning I saw a bunch of rompers like this one for little girls. They had a super cute one that I don't see online but it was brown poplin material with little white dots and a pink fabric flower at the top by the strap. I actually wanted one for myself. Also, you could try finding one piece jammies. I know Hanna Andersson makes some up to size 3.
Love that romper! DD may have some of those in her future!

#10 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Is it possible that her bottom could be itchy/uncomfortable somehow? I have heard of some kind of intestinal worms or something (gross I know) causing itchiness and she may just be trying to relieve the itch??? Just a thought, in case you hadn't considered medical causes... Otherwise, I am thinking the safety-pin idea + ignoring it (not ignore but don't react emotionally ya know?) may be the best solution...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Is it possible that her bottom could be itchy/uncomfortable somehow? I have heard of some kind of intestinal worms or something (gross I know) causing itchiness and she may just be trying to relieve the itch??? Just a thought, in case you hadn't considered medical causes... Otherwise, I am thinking the safety-pin idea + ignoring it (not ignore but don't react emotionally ya know?) may be the best solution...
I've thought about this, but I don't think that's the case. It's almost an unconscious gesture on her part. She doesn't do it all the time, but at least several times a day. Sometimes, she's just sliding her hands down the back of her pants, other times she's poking.

#12 of 30 Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Onesies will also work well for this purpose, if your LO is still young enough that you can find them in her size. DD2 is in size 4, and they're harder to find in that size. That's actually how we solved her other EWWWW habit, though, which was sleeping with her hand jammed down the front of her diaper. Every once in a while, she'd poop, in her sleep, while the hand was in there. OMG it was gross. She was younger then-- like 12 to 18 months.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#13 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 04:07 AM

Oh! I hope my 22mos butt rubbing habit doesn't last until she's 3! She's still in diapers and we litterally have to tape the diaper on her so she won't take it of and put her fingers in her butt.

I have no advice but I commiserate. This is so gross and I just can't wait for it to go away!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#14 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM

I would talk to the child and ask her why she likes doing it. If it is because it feels good, explain about private time to touch private places and about the cleanliness factor of her hands (and cross contamination of the vagina with germs from the anus and how it can cause her vagina to be sick). When you see her doing it, ask her if she needs private time and if she says yes, draw her a bath and tell her that is a good place to have private time. She may just enjoy it and IMO there should be nothing wrong with that. If she is clean, there should be no problems about germs either, or at least no more than normal everyday life. I have my children bathe after a bowel movement to help with any lingering problems that wiping didn't catch.

The worms someone mentioned is pinworms and many children do get them. From playgrounds or daycares or anywhere. The way to find out if your child has them is simple. Before they get up for the day, you take a piece of clear tape and stick it on their anus then pull it off and look at it- across not through. If you see things like hairs that are wiggling, chances are they are pinworms. To avoid any trauma you should explain beforehand that you are doing a health test, or do it as they are sleeping. I have not had to perform this test on my dd, but heard of it long ago. It may be more comfortable for someone (the parent) to have a doctor take a swab and use a microscope.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#15 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
I would talk to the child and ask her why she likes doing it. If it is because it feels good, explain about private time to touch private places and about the cleanliness factor of her hands (and cross contamination of the vagina with germs from the anus and how it can cause her vagina to be sick). When you see her doing it, ask her if she needs private time and if she says yes, draw her a bath and tell her that is a good place to have private time. She may just enjoy it and IMO there should be nothing wrong with that. If she is clean, there should be no problems about germs either, or at least no more than normal everyday life. I have my children bathe after a bowel movement to help with any lingering problems that wiping didn't catch.
DD is a late talker, so asking her why she likes it isn't going to work well. She's not yet able to really express herself when we ask her questions like that. I have tried explaining why it's unhealthy, but she doesn't really seem to get it (or care?). That being said, I like the idea of drawing a bath for her. Great suggestion!

#16 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 PM

A night gown or dress would make that type of thing difficult to do.

Kids do this sort of thing. Try to let it go as best you can. Maybe having some wipes in each room so you can just have her wipe her hands clean afterwards would help.

Tjej
#17 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
I told her that we don't put our hands in our bottoms. That she could get sick. Let's go wash our hands.
If she has something in her bottom that could make her sick, then she would already be sick. Touching her bottom won`t make her sick. Things that end up in our bottoms come in through our mouths. The only thing she might do, like someone else said, is cross-contaminate her vagina.
My 16 month old touches her privates when she goes potty (we EC since birth). She thinks it`s the coolest thing that liquid comes out of her and into the toilet, and then makes splashing sounds to boot! I just tell her to be gentle so as not to hurt herself. Maybe your DD touches her bottom after passing gas? Perhaps making sure it`s not poop? If it really bothers you, using onesies or overalls might break the habit. Good luck!
#18 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DS does this, too. He's discovered where the poop comes out, and likes to feel around in there. He also likes to investigate others' holes, including our dog's and the neighbors' dog's..... I have no advice, but I am strongly considering switching to anti-bacterial soap in his bathroom...
#19 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM

I would check for worms first thing! It sounds like maybe her bottom is itchy or maybe it once was and was irritating her. If there are worms or not maybe get her some sort of soothing creme that she can put on her bottom and then leave it alone? Definitely wash hands often and the onesie idea sounds great too. Although I imagine that she will get around it if she really wants to

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#20 of 30 Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenaAZ View Post
If she has something in her bottom that could make her sick, then she would already be sick. Touching her bottom won`t make her sick. Things that end up in our bottoms come in through our mouths. The only thing she might do, like someone else said, is cross-contaminate her vagina.
My 16 month old touches her privates when she goes potty (we EC since birth). She thinks it`s the coolest thing that liquid comes out of her and into the toilet, and then makes splashing sounds to boot! I just tell her to be gentle so as not to hurt herself. Maybe your DD touches her bottom after passing gas? Perhaps making sure it`s not poop? If it really bothers you, using onesies or overalls might break the habit. Good luck!
You can get sick from touching poo it is called e coli and can cause some nasty stomach upset.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#21 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
You can get sick from touching poo it is called e coli and can cause some nasty stomach upset.
Yeah. There are bacteria that live in your lower colon that are quite at home there, and relatively harmless, but if you get them into your upper digestive tract they can cause some pretty serious upsets.

#22 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
This is false. Very much so false.

The bacteria that help us digest food live in our colon. It may make sense to you that to be there they once had to go in through the mouth, and that's true, but once they set up a colony they multiply to levels that are healthy in the colon and very unhealthy to eat. We have an aversion to the smell of feces for a good reason.

Just to mention ONE possible cause of disease, E coli is present in many of our colons as normal flora but E coli is potentially lethal when consumed. Cross-contamination of human feces in food lead to many millions of deaths before we figured out that poop has bad buggies.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#23 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

The bacteria that help us digest food live in our colon. It may make sense to you that to be there they once had to go in through the mouth, and that's true, but once they set up a colony they multiply to levels that are healthy in the colon and very unhealthy to eat. We have an aversion to the smell of feces for a good reason.

Just to mention ONE possible cause of disease, E coli is present in many of our colons as normal flora but E coli is potentially lethal when consumed. Cross-contamination of human feces in food lead to many millions of deaths before we figured out that poop has bad buggies.
This is what I thought. Ick.

#24 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

Escherich coli has many strains. The ones that live in our digestive system are harmless to us. Newborns have them in their digestive tracts within 48 hrs from birth. Most of the time, their first ingestion comes as they pass through the birth canal and their faces are exposed to maternal fecal matter. It is not just by chance that the most common presentation for babies is occiput anterior (baby`s face looking towards mom`s anus).

The harmful virulent strains are the ones that can make people sick, such as the ones that have been found in hamburger meat and spinach recalls, both sources from animal manure that was a vector to virulent strains. Hamrless E.coli is also found in the human mouth, pharynx, nose, among other areas. The reason for washing hands after defecating is to not spread the harmful virulent strains from sick to healthy individuals.

I`m not in any way promoting poop eating. Just pointing out that there are different strains that do different things. Some can kill us, and some are part of our regular bacterial flora and are quite beneficial.
#25 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It is not just by chance that the most common presentation for babies is occiput anterior (baby`s face looking towards mom`s anus).
I'm not weighing in on the poop debate because I am not that well versed in whether or not your OWN poop can harm you, though I tend to think that one's own poop is usually probably okay and it's poop from sick people and animals that tends to harbor the killer stuff...but I do think that the reason for occiput anterior presentation is due to the shape of a baby's head and a mom's pelvis, rather than the poop denominator. Just sayin'. Cuz I know how painful it is when your baby comes out occiput posterior. horrible!

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#26 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post
I'm not weighing in on the poop debate because I am not that well versed in whether or not your OWN poop can harm you, though I tend to think that one's own poop is usually probably okay and it's poop from sick people and animals that tends to harbor the killer stuff...but I do think that the reason for occiput anterior presentation is due to the shape of a baby's head and a mom's pelvis, rather than the poop denominator. Just sayin'. Cuz I know how painful it is when your baby comes out occiput posterior. horrible!
angelachristin, you are right! And in nature`s wonderful plan, the least painful way to birth for mom is also the best for baby`s GI tract colonizaiton.
#27 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 PM

It isn't just pinworms that cause this, which is why parasites are often overlooked as a cause if there are no results on the tape. I would treat for parasites, because if she eats meat, chances are she has them regardless.

Medical treatment is albendazole, very effective, but you need a prescription and I personally avoid medications altogether.

Herbal treatment is black walnut hull and wormwood tincture, but it must be constant dosing throughout the day for a couple of weeks.

The best treatment, in my opinion, is MMS (chlorine dioxide). I love this stuff, it treats everything... so any other issues she has will also go away magically - and I do mean everything. I used it with my son when he was a baby and I would use it on a newborn in a heart beat. Very safe, and degrades into sodium chloride when the work is done (table salt). You can get it online, and I can tell you how to dose or you can follow the site of the man who discovered this. Look around the site on how to dose, but basically, I would start with one drop every hour for a day and then two drops the next day each hour... continue increasing until she is at one drop per 11 pounds of body weight. Watch the poop, it may get runny, full of worms, or she may vomit but these are detox symptoms.

I would treat for parasites and then reevaluate if she is still poking around in there. Although, I like the previous post that suggested offering private time in the bath.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#28 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so we've made a few changes in the last few days that have helped a bit.

First, we started bathing her every night instead of every other night. She's not a dirty kid, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Second, she's no longer wearing underwear to bed at night to help air things out a bit. (I've been meaning to do this anyway.) Third, we stop whatever activity she's in the middle of working on and take her to wash her hands when it happens.

She's pretty much stopped doing it during the day (yay!) but has taken to doing it right before bed to get attention. So, the problem is not completely eliminated but it's gotten a lot better.

#29 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 AM

That sounds like a quick improvement!
#30 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
That sounds like a quick improvement!
It is! Although I could do without the before bed, "I'm poking my bahbam! Hehehehehe!"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page