dairy-free suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (age 15 months) is coughing a lot, particularly when lying down (so when she naps reclined in the pushchair during the day and at night when I'm feeding her down to sleep, and when she's asleep in her cot or in our bed). We have determined that whenever she has ice cream during the day she coughs, retches, chokes and is usually sick when I'm breastfeeding her to sleep at bedtime. That is a definite pattern. Tonight we had cheese sauce for dinner (amongst other things!) and she did this again. She wasn't actually sick (hasn't been yet anyway, but I can hear DH is having difficulty putting her down in the cot so that may happen later) but I could hear liquid coming up her throat into her mouth. Also, I had ice cream at dinnertime so could that be affecting her through my milk? I don't know how long it takes for my food to get into the breastmilk. Anyhow I've decided we need to try her (and therefore me) on dairy-free. So I'm looking for suggestions. Particularly on what could replace yogurt in her diet as she really enjoys this. When we've tried going dairy-free in the past I've found we waste a lot of milk as you can only buy dairy-alternative milks here in 1 litre cartons and it doesn't get used up quickly enough. I've been told not to give her rice milk because of arsenic and I thought that soy milk isn't so good either? Almond milk whilst it's very yummy is also very expensive! And coconut milk is quite fatty so not good for me and my wobbly tummy And I can't stand goats milk (taste or smell). I'm not keen to express my milk because I don't find it easy to hand express and I could do without the hassle of pumping and sterilising. So I would welcome any suggestions please. Hope I'm not asking the impossible. Thanks and sorry this is so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 AM

At our house we use Almond Milk. It is a bit expensive but we find it to be worth it, and I use it for cooking and everything. So we most definitely drink it up.

Also, it sounds like your child gets a lot of congestion from the dairy (pretty common I think), so I am wondering if perhaps you could put a humidifier in her room??

It works wonders for DS and also for DH and me as well.

Oh, also, we went dairy free but kept yogurt in, because it's great as a probiotic, and it metabolizes a little differently than regular milk. So she might actually be able to tolerate it if you cut out the other dairy. Just a thought. It works for us.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 AM

my lo eats coconut milk yogurt. Its really good. In general we don't do lots of milk here either but she is doing better w/ it now then she was 4-5 months ago.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 AM

we're mostly dairy free. ds can tolerate cheese well, and yogurt, but not much else. I'm also allergic to milk protein, but can handle a little cheese now and then. I cook with an organic, gmo-free soy milk, and I put it on my cereal occasionally. However neither of us drink it. Ds just gets breast milk and water to drink. Sometimes what I do to keep our milk from going bad before it's all used up is divide it into smaller containers, then freeze portions of it, then I just thaw it when I need some more.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM

If you really want to go dairy free, almond milk and coconut milk are how we have done it.

Applesauce instead of yogurt, maybe?

Tjej
Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I second the coconut yogurt suggestion. It`s really good.

As for milk.....make your own almond milk. That way you know what`s in it. You can even add vanilla, dates, cinnamonn, whaetver you like. It`s super easy too. Just soak the raw almonds over night, rinse, put in blender with water, and strain through cheese cloth. Add any extras if desired.

Milk increases phlegm production, so it makes sense that your little one experiences this after having dairy.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your suggestions. I have never seen coconut milk yoghurt here (UK), but I will keep my eyes open and visit our healthfood shops tomorrow to see what there is. Making my own almond milk is something I will look into, but it seems more of a luxury than something to use on a daily basis. DD doesn't drink milk. We use it on cereal in the morning and in sauces when cooking - would it be okay to use soya milk sweetened with apple juice for such occasions? I am concerned from reading about hormone changes attributed to soy milk use.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 PM

I've used apple juice alone on cereal. Depending on the cereal, it can be quite good.

Tjej
Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Try hemp milk. My son is being raised vegan and he made a seamless transition from breast to hemp milk. Hemp milk is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and has more fat than rice milk. I think the taste is pleasing, too. Make sure to get UNSWEETENED milk. I prefer Tempt Unsweetened and it is carried at Whole Foods.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM

I understand what you're saying about not using a whole container of non-dairy milk. I am dairy free and like to have it on hand but can't use a whole container before it goes bad either. But you can portion it out and freeze it and just take out what you need at a time.

As well as making your own almond milk you can make your own rice or oat milk. I am not a supporter of soy milk but that is just my choice, I know a lot of people that like it and use it.

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!

User Tag List