What pool gear do I need for a 2.5 yo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to take my 2.5 yo to a pool for the first time and have no idea what gear (except the swimsuit) do I need for her. Can you please advise?

Thanks
Sophie

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#2 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Depending on what type of pool, watershoes/socks, a nice hat, and I like those rashguard shirts to protect against the sun. Sunscreen. And that's about it. We don't use any flotation devices because I am in the water with him and I would be holding him even if he had something on.

If it's a place with fountains, splash pad, etc... we bring a sandbucket, he likes to fill it with water and then dump it.

Mama to three

#3 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think you "need" anything besides the swimsuit. Anything else is just to add to the fun.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Swim diaper? Either cloth or disposable (you might need to check w/who runs the pool).

Other than that, nothing else you really need. Toys or tubes, or noodles will probably be provided. I would be in the pool w/a LO that age, so no safety flotation devices really needed. Sunscreen if it's outdoors...maybe bring your own towels?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Even if you don't otherwise use cloth diapers, get a cloth sim diaper. The disposable swim diapers just get sogged out and horribly uncomfortable for baby, and start to sag so they can't actually catch any poop, which is their only purpose (the pee comes out in the water). The cloth ones fit snugger and are much better at containment. Nobody wants to swim in poop soup.

As far as flotation devices, you and your baby will figure out what you're comfortable with. My son was very timid of the water at first and putting a (properly fitting) life jacket on him helped him build the confidence to do more. Now he's fearless in the water, and I'll let him go without the life jacket only if there is another adult there with me, so someone's attention can always be on him. With DD, we started with an inflatable swim ring, which she liked at first, but then always wanted to be out of it. She is absolutely fearless (at 16 months) and was at the point where she was just jumping in without caring whether I was watching or not, so we put the arm swimmies on her, which keep me sane. When she is big enough that a life jacket will properly fit her, we will get her one, too.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#6 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM

My DS loves to dump water, so I bring a variety of containers for him to play with. He stands on the first/second step and just dumps water from one to the other. He also likes squirt guns (small ones).

Our subdivision pool has a bench that runs the width of the shallow end. It is perfect for DS to walk back and forth. I do plan on getting him some type of floatation jacket though....last weekend both my DH and I were right there in the pool with him and DS stepped off the bench...down he went. We were right there, but it happened so fast. He wasn't hurt, didn't cry or anything, but it scared the beegeebees out of me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page