Bedwetting from stress...we leave to visit relatives tomorrow! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 3.5 and he's been completely potty trained since last October. We're heading out of town to visit relatives tomorrow and he's very nervous about it. He's a big homebody and asks to go home even when we're out running errands for too long. He just doesn't like change. So the idea of going somewhere else and having to sleep there is completely stressing him out.

He's wet the bed twice this week, and then last night he wet the bed AND pooped in his underwear when he was sleeping. We EC'd, so the only time he pooped in his diapers when he was little was when he was stressed out. So that's when I made the stress connection. Obviously, I can't let him pee in DH's cousin's bed. But he's been out of diapers for so long with no accidents, it would be such a big blow to his self esteem to wear a diaper. I don't even know how it would go, as I said, he HATES change, and wearing something different on his butt is change to him. He's a very spirited child.

What do I do? He already pees right before he goes to bed. He's a big tosser and turner so I don't think I could lay him on a waterproof mat.

Help, please, I would appreciate any suggestions that you have! I hate to make my sweet boy's "vacation" any more stressful than he's already seeing it!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#2 of 3 Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh no, that sounds really stressful!! Well my little boy is only 15 months, so I don't have any great experience to impart, sorry. But I do commiserate. He has been out of diapers since 12 months (we practice EC) but the times we've traveled to see family, I end up having to put him back in diapers. It's frustrating.

One idea is to could consider buying one of those child travel beds. Some are air beds, and they generally have sides to prevent rolling out. I've seen them on Amazon (there are several -- here's one example: http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fry-Desi...7404562&sr=8-8) and they're not too expensive. It might seem like a new, fun place to sleep, and that way you can contain his tossing and turning so that a waterproof pad underneath him would stay put. Just a thought...

Good luck!!!

Edited to say: I just noticed you're leaving tomorrow so obviously don't have time to wait for an Amazon order...maybe you have a Toys R Us store (or something similar) nearby? I am not sure who would have something like this in stock, but it's worth checking.
#3 of 3 Old 06-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about some special "traveling" underwear that are actually a pull-up of some sort. Tell him they will help him not wet the bed at night or something perhaps?

I know Hyland's makes a homeopathic bed wetting tablet that worked well for my sister's boys too and that may be worth a shot.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page