furniture - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be buying DD some bedroom furniture soon so I'm wondering where I can get cute furniture that isn't going to off gas for months??? DH wants pottery barn but I'm like No way it's full of chemicals!!!!

any ideas??
#2 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 PM

craigslist/ second hand stores! get the cheaper things that have already off gassed in someone else's home.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#3 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
craigslist/ second hand stores! get the cheaper things that have already off gassed in someone else's home.
I will try craigslist. We are out of state till September so I wanted to have furniture there before than so second hand stores won't work. I was hoping there might be a website that I could order from and have sent to the house. I google
#4 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM

well dear you can get stylish and modern furniture from online retailer shops are stores but the main thing that you have to select your best option in that

bunk beds

#5 of 6 Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 AM

This End Up! Solid wood and great and last for decades. They are designed after shipping crates and my kid loves his. We happened to get a set from freecycle. They go fast on craigslist and freecycle - we drove an hr to get them and they were totally worth it!!!

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
I will try craigslist. We are out of state till September so I wanted to have furniture there before than so second hand stores won't work. I was hoping there might be a website that I could order from and have sent to the house. I google

I don't really get what you are saying. You are moving out of state, or you will be gone until September but want to get the furniture in that time? Heh?

Anyway I second the idea to get something on eBay or Craig's List. We have gotten so much furniture second hand. For us it's more about saving money but the off gassing and reuse thing is a bonus. Even if it means your child will have a somewhat empty bedroom for a month after you get back in the time it takes you to find what you need second hand (try flea markets too!), is that such a problem? We just moved and I really wanted to have DS's room all set up for him before he ever even saw it....but alas there was too much to do and it took about a month to get everything all set up and you know what? He was still excited about having his own room and didn't care at all....and got excited as each new item or decoration appeared. Maybe just wait til you are back and get the furniture then, second hand. If the off-gassing thing is really important to you then maybe that's a compromise (which IMO isn't even really such a big sacrifice) you have to make. Honestly, I find even FSC wood products often have a weird smell. The only way I know of to bypass off-gassing for sure is to buy used. Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page