DS 1.5 refuses a bib. ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fairly often.

I have an Emily Post book from the 40s saying that children should wear bibs at the table until they are 5. She presents it as a GD thing-- so they won't get in trouble for messing up their clothes.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 PM

My DD1 used a bib till about 3 1/2 yrs. With the other 2 kids I never used bibs. Mainly because I could never find ones I liked. They all had tiny pieces of cheap velcro that never stayed on the child and just drove me nuts.

If you and your DD still like using bibs I would keep using them. I see nothing wrong with it. Saving clothing stains is worth it!

If we have having something really messy I will lay a towel in their laps though and take off their shirts.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM

My 26 month old still wears a bib. I do enough stain removal as it is.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM

Wanting your children to wear bibs while eating is a matter of choice or need, but consider the following: I am a mother with five children who are five to 10, including boy, girl twins who are seven. They are not messy eaters, but they all occasionally spill or splash something when eating. The problem is that I never know when that will happen, unless it is something that is naturally messy, like spaghetti. They all have bibs to wear, just in case. They do not object; they all rather wear a bib then get an item of clothing stained and they enjoy their meals much better because they are not worried about spills or splashes and they are not hearing me telling them to be careful, sit up straight or lean over their plates. Their bibs are a clear vinyl smock style without baby drawings or themes on them. They cover all of their fronts down to their waist with a pouch along the bottom. Teasing has never been an issue either. All have had friends join us for a meal, some have refused to wear a bib initially but then asked to wear one when they see my children with them on. Also I had one child tell me she wished she had worn one after spilling something on her dress. I always wear an apron when cooking or cleaning and will keep my apron on when eating something messy. Maureen
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Wow, questions for the non-bib people: 

1. PLEASE teach me how to do laundry.  Because, even WITH wearing bibs, almost everything DD owns has a stain.  We're trying to pass this stuff down to a baby cousin with picky parents, so this drives me nuts.

2.  Doesn't the child get cold if you go the topless route?  Our house is so cold all the time that I have DD and I bundled up in big sweaters all day.  We remove the sweater for meals, but I feel like she would freeze without the shirt. 

So, to answer the actual question, DD is almost 2 and most definitely still wears a bib.  Apparently she's on the messy end of the eating spectrum :)  I lay a towel over her lap, too.  She's so used to it that she has a fit if she doesn't have her towel and her bib.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

newmamalizzy- I think the answer to the laundry question is to do a lot of laundry often! I know it is not the most environmentally friendly thing (though I do use organic biodegradable sopas only) but I do a ton of laundry- so if something gets dirty it gets cleaned pretty quickly before the stains can set. I mean- usually one large load a day, sometimes two.

Or, if something gets spilled that will stain, I wet it right away and put soap on the spot and rub it out somewhat- and then throw it in the laundry basket to be washed later that day.

Ds wears a bib when he lets us keep it on- and we usually change his whole outfit after eating also.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My LO is only 19 mo but she eats shirtless most of the time.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Felt like I had to add this to the discussion...this was six or so months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x89YlrzsY3I

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM

My almost 3yo son uses a bib when he eats yogurt, soup or ice cream, etc. He asks for his "yogurt bib" in those cases. Otherwise, he doesn't use a bib and hasn't for a few months. He's fairly neat when he eats.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM

My 2y 4m son uses bibs for liquidy foods- yogurt, soup, oatmeal, etc. but not usually for crackers and dry foods like that (or fruit) although he does crumble things all over the floor. I like the big kinds with the pockets on the bottom.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM

we gave up on bibs here.. got to the point the kids front of their shirts were clean, but their pants, sleeves and everything else was dirtehhh. yay laundry hahaha

Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My little Lu is 2 years old. We have a bunch of cloth bibs and we were using them up to a few months ago. She still needs them ... she likes to feed herself ... but I tend to forget to put them on her now. BUT I definitely appreciate a bib; I rarely used  them with my son.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 AM

My toddler is also 24 months old now and still uses bibs. One per every mealtime, so for the whole day we end up bibs but that's for mealtimes only. I use those type of bibs that has a crumb catcher so the food that will drop won't go directly in her lap and in her cloths.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best bibs are at IKEA!!! I don't know why all bibs are not made like this...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70179754/

My daughter is almost 4 and I almost always put one on her.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I think DS has worn a bib maybe five times ever. I think it's mostly due to laziness - I found that even if we used a bib the clothes still got something on them somewhere, so if he was eatingn anything remotely messy I'd just strip him to his diaper. We live in a warm climate and I never saw the need for him to wear clothes unless we were leaving the house. Now he's 3.5 and is still usually naked unless we have company or are leaving the house. Less laundry, fewer stains, clothes last longer.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List