How many of your toddlers use bibs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. How many of your 2 and 3 yr olds still use bibs? Dd2, who will be 3 in August, still used one at most meals. She is a very messy eater and I don't feel like changing her clothes 3 plus times a day so we use a bib. I've recently noticed though that most of our friends with children the same age do not.

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#2 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Ds ( 3 in august) asks for a bib sometimes. ESP with yogurt and pasta if he asks we give him one no problem. But I usually forget to offer so his clothes are just flithy
#3 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll echo the filthy shirt reply of the previous poster. My DS just turned 2 and hasn't used a bib since maybe 18 months. He is actually pretty good with eating but if he spills on his shirt I just wipe it off with a wet cloth and into the laundry it goes at the end of the day.
#4 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 PM

DS wears a bib when he eats yogurt. Otherwise he is a neat eater and does not need one.

I wish my 15 year old nephew would wear a bib. He always gets food all over himself.
#5 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM

I always put one on my almost 3 year old so we don't have filthy shirts!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#6 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 PM

My 26 month old still uses one most of the time at home. I don't bring one when we eat out anymore, though...although sometimes I regret that...LOL!

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#7 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM

lol - if there is messy food, the kids eat sans shirts. In public or with company we try to have them choose non-messy foods.
#8 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 PM

DD hasn't used a bib since she was about 18 months old. She loves to eat and most of it goes into her mouth. No guarantee our next one will be like this though.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#9 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 PM

My DS usually just eats without a shirt on at home. He's always hated wearing a bib.

When we are out, I just have something to change into ready for him in case.
#10 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Ds2 has basically never used one. DS1 used one until 15 months or so. If we are eating something very messy he may go shirtless. I find it less bothersome to wipe off a person than to add laundry and don't mind stains here and there. Overall my youngest is neater eater than my almost 5 year old. sigh.
#11 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 AM

He hasn't used a bib since he was about 10 months old.

We just do shirtless meals. If we're out in public or at someone's house who isn't a grandparent we just choose non messy foods.

Sometimes the shirt stays on. I just wipe it off if it gets anything on it. We don't really have a problem with stains.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#12 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 AM

My oldest wore one at that age if she was eating anything messy and we were at home. I didn't usually worry about it if we were eating out unless it was something I knew would seriously stain.

My 21 month old still wears one unless he's not got on any clothes. I don't see that ending any time soon because he's very messy. He loves to play with his food. Actually, when I've forgotten lately he's demanded I put one on before he starts eating.

I just don't like taking the time to change clothes multiple times a day, and honestly we don't have enough clothes for that unless I did the laundry every couple of days. Also, it kind of bums me out a little when clothes get stains that I can't get out because I like to try to keep them decent enough that I can sell them or donate them when we're finished with them.
#13 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM

I wish my 19 mo DD would wear a bib to avoid so many messy clothes, but she just pulls them right off!
#14 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM

We bib! Oh yes.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#15 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM

DS is 26 months and still wears bibs. If I forget he taps his chest and says "Bib!" He hates messes and freaks if food falls on his shirt : His bibs have pockets too, so they make for easier cleanup (rather than cleaning the seat and floor).

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#16 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM

bibs never did me a bit of good. I hardly even bought any this time around for dd and I have yet to use one (shes only 2 months though).

When my ds wants to be neat, he is neat. If he doesn't feel like being neat, then the bib isn't going to do anything because he will still have food in his hair, down his pants, inside his socks, behind his ears....you get the picture.the bib would just be something else to wash. besides, he always pulled them off, even as a baby.

my philosophy is that as long as he gets bathed/sanitized once a day and looks decent in public, I let the rest go. He wears playclothes at home that I don't care that much about, and I use so much oxyclean I should have stock in it by now.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#17 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM

dd is 17 months and hasn't worn a bib since maybe about 9 months. Most the foods she eats are not too messy and we have stain remover for the times when she does get a bit on her clothes!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#18 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM

We've never used bibs all that much. We either go shirtless or just accept a messy shirt. I figure washing a dirty shirt, washing a dirty bib... whats the difference? Either way, I'm washing an item of clothing, and if it's just shirts, they all get put away in the same place, rather than having to sort out all the bibs, find a place for them in our already overburdened kitchen drawers/cupboards... not to mention buying enough of them to have a clean one available at every meal. Ripping off his shirt after the meal (if it gets dirty; sometimes it doesn't) and tossing it into the laundry (as opposed to taking off the bib and tossing it into the laundry) seems to work just as well, without having to invest in a fleet of bibs.

We go shirtless for spaghetti or other staining foods, but mostly just accept it and throw shirts into the laundry. Bibs dont seem to help all that much, anyway... if DS is eating something messy, it's going to be EVERYWHERE (arms, lap, dog's head, etc...), not just the little patch that the bib covers.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#19 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
We've never used bibs all that much. We either go shirtless or just accept a messy shirt. I figure washing a dirty shirt, washing a dirty bib... whats the difference?
We use the bumkins bibs, so if they get dirty, we just have to give them a quick wipe with the sponge and we're done! Much easier than filling the laundry basket, wasting more water to wash extra clothes, and having to fold more little shirts :P We also don't have room to store "home clothes" and "outside clothes". We often leave the yard to go walking in the street, I don't want his clothes to be all stained when we meet up with people.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#20 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
We use the bumkins bibs, so if they get dirty, we just have to give them a quick wipe with the sponge and we're done! Much easier than filling the laundry basket, wasting more water to wash extra clothes, and having to fold more little shirts :P We also don't have room to store "home clothes" and "outside clothes". We often leave the yard to go walking in the street, I don't want his clothes to be all stained when we meet up with people.
I don't really make a distinction between home and outside clothes. Clothes are clothes. Maybe I've just had good luck with washing, but we rarely get stains and I've never used stain remover or anything.

But, like I said, anything with tomato sauce gets eaten shirtless and/or nekkid. Yogurt, which is the one ridiculously messy food DS eats on a regular basis, gets eaten for breakfast (before getting dressed) or as a bedtime snack (nekkid, right before bath). Using a bib with spaghetti or yogurt wouldn't help because I have yet to find a bib that covers the hair, ears, entire shirt, pants, and chair. He'd have a nice clean patch on his chest and explosive mess everywhere else .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#21 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
We use the bumkins bibs, so if they get dirty, we just have to give them a quick wipe with the sponge and we're done!
We have those too in addition to a couple Mimi the Sardine ones which are similar. Very easy clean up. Good coverage too.

This thread is kind of funny. Bib wars! It's the new WOHM vs SAHM.
#22 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM

We don't use actual bibs, but I do cover DD up. I knot one of those huge white flour sack dish towels around her neck. It covers her entire torso and her legs. Even if she's eating clothes-less it keeps me from having to wipe her torso and diaper cover off.

obstruct livery vehicles

#23 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM

I guess another reason we never went the topless eating route is that we're in Quebec - we need to wear sweaters in the house in winter unless we want a whooping Hydro bill So we're saving money on heat and preserving water

#24 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM

We stopped around 12-15 months, I think? Honestly, DD isn't that messy of an eater. (Totally strange, I know.) Oftentimes, I wipe her hands and face and a few dabs on her clothing and she's done. I think it helps that our messiest meals are dinner and so it's at least getting dark if I bring her out with a couple of food spots then . But when we did "bib her" we loved the Bumkins with sleeves. Those are fabulous bibs.
#25 of 46 Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM

I sometimes put a bib on DD who's 2yrs and 4 months. Mostly I forget, I don't always need to, but sometimes I sure do.

signature currently in transition
#26 of 46 Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 PM

DD will be three in August and still uses a Bumkins bib. The kind that covers the arms and torso. She hasn't complained about it, and it definitely saves us a lot of laundry; we just rinse it after eating and hang it up to dry.

I feel a little silly putting it on her when we have other kids over who are much younger and not using one, but they seem so practical to me. I could probably use one myself, as it drives me crazy when I get an oil stain on a shirt I love!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#27 of 46 Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM

we've actually never used a bib with dd. We do have a couple of old plain tee shirts that we keep in the dining room and we pop one on her when it is meal time. She is really into trying to keep it clean all of a sudden, but it is not a big deal if she spills.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#28 of 46 Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM

we've actually never used a bib with dd. We do have a couple of old plain tee shirts that we keep in the dining room and we pop one on her when it is meal time. She is really into trying to keep it clean all of a sudden, but it is not a big deal if she spills.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#29 of 46 Old 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM

My 2yo wears a bib nearly always. And to combat the problem of food getting into her lap and stuff, I started wrapping a big cotton lightweight tea towel around her chest (with the bib over the towel) and draped over her lap. It catches what the bib doesn't and makes clean up really easy. Well, it means we only have to usually clean the table and sometimes underneath.
#30 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Mine is 14 months and we have to use bibs. But most of his mess is on his lap and beside him in his high chair. I now tuck a flat diaper in his shirt and drape it over his lap. And then I put the bib over that. Clean up is easy except when he grabs the bib or diaper before I get to it.

I also leave him in his pajamas for breakfast and he takes his bath right after dinner. So lunch time is the only time his clothes matter. But the bib and napkin are really to keep his high chair clean more than anything.

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page