Help with naked to underwear transition - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody else have trouble with this transition? My 28mo dd has been using the potty nearly 100% during the day when nakey bottom at home... for about a month. So this past weekend, I thought I'd get her some panties. Well, for the most part she just pees in them. It's not easy for her to get them off and on, but most of the time she doesn't even try or let me know that she needs to go or even go towards the potty. And even when she's nakey bottom now she's having accidents . We've tried to be really gentle with the whole process... and she seems to do best when she has a lot of information about something new, a lot of time to think about it for a while, and then it still seems like it has to be her idea. Any ideas how to deal with this regression other than just wait??? Do I put away the panties for a while unless she asks for them? Do I keep her in them and just clean up accidents til she gets it?
#2 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

We have done underwear from the beginning however DS still has trouble getting them up and down so I told him that if he feels he needs to pee or poo that he should yell "I need to pee/poo" and I will come and help him. This has worked well. Also having a lot of underwear handy

I have read that some kids have a hard time with underwear as it makes their bodies thing they have a diaper on.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#3 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM

I am there too and thinking that it would be easier if ds was a girl so I could just put him in skirts or dresses without the underwear.
#4 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Probably not going to the most popular suggestions here...but this worked for us...

1) after a couple weeks of naked (& potty success), we went to Target & she was allowed to pick out her own panties. she picked all of them...Tinkerbell & fairies, Dora, Minnie Mouse, Elmo & Princess & the Frog. we have never encouraged any of the character stuff (especially Disney) but she has cousins & we have a lot of friends with kids so she gets the exposure. turns out it was really great to have all the extras because the 1st week wearing panties, she had a lot of accidents. 2nd week, almost no pee accidents but she wasn't pooping on the potty at all.

2) this is where stickers came in handy...we used an old party favor tiny spiral notepad which became her "sticker book". i told her when she did poop on the potty, she got a sticker. after a few reminders, it worked.

she has had a handful of accidents but has done really, really well. and like some other big transitions we have had, what worked for her was her having some "control" in picking out special things to go along with the transition. (eg: her own room/bed-she got to pick out sheets)

she wanted to sleep naked but with a baby to deal with at night, i just couldn't deal with nighttime potty stuff, washing sheets etc. i found Dora & Disney Princess pull ups & she loves wearing them to bed now. the compromise was she didn't have to wear pjs.

she has even woken up on her own in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom & got back in her own bed. we only knew about it because in the morning, there was pee in her little baby bjorn potty.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#5 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 PM

I'm interested in these responses also! My 26mo DD has been diaper free all day at home for months, but as soon as her beloved panties are worn she'll pee in them. She doesn't like it, asks for help changing right away, the whole nine yards-but still pees in them. Naked, however, she's at 100% success for pee and poop. Go figure.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#6 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I call this transition time.

esp for kids under 3 years old.

this is my conjecture but i found it true with my dd. she would do naked and then uw. and she would forget she had uw and thought she had pullups on. she would be shocked to see pee dribble down her legs.

so i think for some kids they need the transition time and once they catch on things will be ok.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 22 Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 PM

Well, we've never done pullups-and she HATES diapers, so I wonder why they pee in their underwear when they have the control to get to the potty?

We don't make an issue of it, I mean she's barely 2 and this was entirely her idea, so it's no biggie really. I'd just like to finish the transition if at all possible

#8 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM

DS1 is 3 and frequently goes w/o undies - just pants/shorts. That way he rarely has accidents. W/ undies its way more often (though its gotten less as time goes on), but mostly I just don't bother w/ them and thereby largely avoid accidents
#9 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM

We saw this with DD too. Honestly, it just took some time adjusting (and occasionally asking if she has to go but not too often because then she gets annoyed). Ironically, now we're currently in cloth diapers (but without inserts) but that's purely because her underwear were driving her CRAZY and she was scratching her butt to death. Now she isn't scratching anymore. I just need to find little kid underwear that feels like the lining in cloth diapers!
#10 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM

dd did the same thing of peeing into her underwear even though she was having good success when naked. so we did pants without underwear before we started with the underwear.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#11 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM

We went commando for a month or so ( ok a couple months) just looser fitting shorts with no undies

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#12 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I am there too and thinking that it would be easier if ds was a girl so I could just put him in skirts or dresses without the underwear.
That what we do with ds. At home he is often just in a dress or a skirt and no underwear, he's very successful that way. He also enjoys pants with nothing, or only underwear and no other clothes.

And we just take him to the bathroom A LOT. I have found that he can be quite successful, but doesn't always remember to ASK to go to the bathroom, if I take him (not ask if he needs to go, but say "time to go potty") he has fewer accidents.
#13 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 02:37 PM

I've got the same thing going on with my youngest. Thanks for all the suggestions.

He starts preschool in august and I don't think they'd let me send him pant-less

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 PM

No, but they might be OK w/ him going w/o undies!!
#15 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM

I ha this issue with DS. I did something a little weird to get him used to the undies...

I put a panty liner in it, so he could feel the wet, but it wouldn't make his whole trousers wet. It bought him just enough time to tell me he needed to go pee and then we would run to the potty and he'd finish the job.

Took him about a week to transition from that to nothing...but FTR, I still had to be the pro-active one reminding him to go to the toilet, taking him every hour or two, just in case, especially at the playground where it was often too fun to remember.

I had to religiously pack an extra pair in my purse until he was 4 just in case, and there are still accidents now and then. He still has a rubber sheet under his bed sheets to protect the mattress at night for the once in a while whoopsies.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#16 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the ideas, mamas. I'm just starting to wonder about wearing undies more as dd's been 100% for a bit with a naked bottom. Getting rug burn tho, so undies might be nice.

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#17 of 22 Old 07-02-2010, 01:05 AM

We tried pants with no undies today and she did great! That seems to be a step in the right direction

#18 of 22 Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, thanks ladies! These are some great ideas! So we tried to get dd to TELL ME when she needs to go so I can help pull the panties down, but that didn't work ... I think she's just really going to have to wait till she can do it all own her own. I also tried putting her in loose shorts, but she just goes in those too, without even trying to pull them down. Today we tried going nakey bottom again and she's gotten back in the potty habit, so I'm thinking we'll try nakey bottom another week or so and then try the panties again. It's such a pain to keep any consistency though since we're out and about some nearly every day and not at home all the time... I think it would probably mortify her and set her back if she had an accident in public, so she's in pull-ups when we go anywhere. Any other ideas?
#19 of 22 Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and we've tried reminders, suggestions, and trying at regular intervals, but these have been unsuccessful too... I think she either feels too pressured or needs it to be her idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
hehe... maybe you could make him some training kilts. that would be darling.
#20 of 22 Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 PM

What?

I was really glad to see this thread pop up, because this is EXACTLY what we are going through right now, but that last post is weird.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#21 of 22 Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 AM

We just went through this last week with my 22 mo DD. We had great success with nakey time, but not so much with panties or the padded training underwear. We have a potty that DD brings into whatever room we are in and will go potty on her own if naked. She hates to be taken to the potty and even just reminding her that it's there annoys her a bit. I was having a hard time figuring out the transition as well.

Last weekend we needed to run a couple hours worth of errands so I just said the heck with it, let's try doing this w panties. I packed three or four backup panties and pants and the portable potty seat. She fell asleep almost immediately and peed at some point between stops one and two. I changed her into dry clothes and we went to grab a bite to eat. At home she hates when I sit her on the big toilet, so I wasn't sure how it was going to work out in public, but I took her to the bathroom right away and sat her on it and waited a bit, but got nothing out of her. So we went back to the table to eat. At the end of the meal she pointed to the bathroom so off we went. I sat her back up and she went! I was so happy. She then stayed dry until we got home. Over the next couple days she would still pee as soon as I got her dressed. I would wait until the last minute, but she would be wet by the time we got to the car. We would still be naked 100% of the time at home. By the end of the week we were out of the house for a few hours and she was dry the whole time. We spent a lot of time in public restrooms, but it's working. I'll take her every hour or so and she will pee in the restroom most of the time. We are just starting to introduce panties at home and it's been going well. No accidents yet and she even started pooping in the potty by herself. While I imagine there will be some accidents, I feel pretty good about saying that she is potty learned!

I think it worked out like this because she is more independent at home than she is in public and more willing to let me help her.

Eta: sorry about the novel!!!

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#22 of 22 Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM

We had the exact problem. No accidents AT ALL when naked, but as soon as we put the undies on it was like an invitation for accidents. I just stuck it out and after about 5 days we were completely accident free with them. 
It is frustrating, but it worked!

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page