Can I just brag on my kid? lol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is almost 15mo. He has such a great natural helpfulness about him. This is all him, too! Like, I nurture it and whatnot but I don't force him to help.

Examples: I taught him to help unload the dishwasher. He was always so interested in what I was doing and would grab flatware so I started saying, "Thank you, Franklin!" and reaching for it when he did. Now he will pick up one (or two) pieces of silverware (sharps removed, obviously) and hand them to me while I put them away. He recently started wanting to help with plates and whatnot as well (basically anything on the bottom shelf) He loves doing it so much that he will open the dishwasher repeatedly if there are dishes inside until you come help him.

I was putting away towels the other day and he walked in, saw what I was doing, and started picking them up to hand to me. This was totally new.

Just now DH was moving furniture back into place (we cleaned the carpet today) and DS came up and started to "help" push a larger piece. He had a huge grin on his face the whole time and just looked so proud of himself.

He also loves to share food. Like, if he's eating and notices that you don't have any (like if he's having a snack or starting dinner a bit early) he'll hold out a bite for you to have.

It's adorable. I hope this keeps up (or gets better!) for when the next little one gets here!

I just had to brag

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Sophia likes helping too! She's about to be 14M, she loves helping with the dishwasher, but still getting the hang of it. She likes to help unload the dryer and loves helping me give dss a bath, she grabs the rag and scrubs his head haha

She likes to help water the plants and feed the cat too. It's super fun, I know exactly about the grin you speak of.

Hooray for little helpers!
#3 of 14 Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM

So cute! Mine is 13 months and also interested in helping. We put toys away together (usually they end up right back out though ), "fold" clothes, unload the dishwasher, etc. A new favorite is giving the dog a treat! She has also started soaping up her belly and hair in the bath.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#4 of 14 Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 AM

So adorable! I love my little helper too!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#5 of 14 Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM

how sweet and fun! I love a good brag story!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#6 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Brag away - that is so cute and wonderful! My son is the same way and I treasure it. I credit his Montessori daycare, I otherwise would have had no idea that a toddler could empty the dishwasher without breaking everything. Hope it lasts and can't wait till he can mow the lawn!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#7 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Brag away - that is so cute and wonderful! My son is the same way and I treasure it. I credit his Montessori daycare, I otherwise would have had no idea that a toddler could empty the dishwasher without breaking everything. Hope it lasts and can't wait till he can mow the lawn!
It's funny because DH and I wanted to do Montessori style teaching at home...mostly just making him feel included. It's the way I was raised (I went to a Montessori preK apparently) and I have great memories of learning fractions by baking and whatnot. I was discussing this post with DH and he laughed and said, "Montessori at it's best?"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Awesome! I like having a helper too.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM

I was just thinking the same thing -- Montessori at work! We're VERY Montessori inspired here with DD.

Here's a couple blog posts I wrote about her and 'helpfulness' and 'housework'.

http://motherbynature.ca/2008/12/tod...of-the-action/
http://motherbynature.ca/2009/02/vid...ooking-skills/

Like JessieBird, it would never have occurred to me that a 2yo (and younger) can help with cooking or so many other things. I think in general, we're way too "helpful" to our littlest ones -- with the best of intentions of course, but we get in the way of their natural development because we think they must be molly-coddled with 'safe' plastic dishes and they're "too young" to do so many things, when actually they're just fine...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#10 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM

AFWife - thats SO cute!! DS likes to "help" me too - he'll pick up garbage and hand it to me - right after he threw it on the floor! He also "helps" me fold laundry - by taking it all apart of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing -- Montessori at work! We're VERY Montessori inspired here with DD.

Here's a couple blog posts I wrote about her and 'helpfulness' and 'housework'.

http://motherbynature.ca/2008/12/tod...of-the-action/
http://motherbynature.ca/2009/02/vid...ooking-skills/

Like JessieBird, it would never have occurred to me that a 2yo (and younger) can help with cooking or so many other things. I think in general, we're way too "helpful" to our littlest ones -- with the best of intentions of course, but we get in the way of their natural development because we think they must be molly-coddled with 'safe' plastic dishes and they're "too young" to do so many things, when actually they're just fine...
I wish I could trust my LO with glass dishes. He likes to watch them shatter (its only happened once - since then I don't trust him!) - he thinks its funny!
#11 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I think in general, we're way too "helpful" to our littlest ones -- with the best of intentions of course, but we get in the way of their natural development because we think they must be molly-coddled with 'safe' plastic dishes and they're "too young" to do so many things, when actually they're just fine...
I agree completely! It is so hard not to automatically do everything for them and to exclude them from what we think of as chores. I have to remind myself that DS is far happier when I let him do things for himself and "play" at adult tasks even if that means a few surprises when I find things put away in funny places. I swear 9/10 toddler meltdowns in our house are caused by DH or I trying to do something for DS when he knows full well that given a little time he can do it himself.

I have a friend IRL who finds my stand-back approach and Montessori philosophies to be "sad" because they don't allow babies to be babies. Her kids are awesome so I certainly don't fault her different opinion. But this sure works for us and I feel like I am following DS's lead as far as his development and interests go.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#12 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM

We have always let DS help with everything, and he has little tasks that he really likes to do, like packing his toy bag for road trips, or his bag for music class. He just turned 2. He is a good help. He likes to be challenged with difficult things and he always helps me cook. He made pancakes with DH yesterday, and he helps me cut the vegetables (with a blunt knife). He usually eats a lot of veggies this way.
Today I caught him trying to help his friend to use the potty. "E you need to pee, not on the floor, use the potty". He showed her by peeing in the potty himself, and tried to convince her to try it as well. He potty learned himself two weeks before his 2nd birthday.
#13 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM

my boys (17 months) recently started opening the drawer where i keep the dishtowels, grabbing one, and getting down on their knees to wipe the floor

too cute!!!
#14 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

I have been having a hard time using the dishwasher with my 9mo daughter around... she is fully walking and climbs into the dishwasher constantly if it is open... I am going to teach her how to help... amazing how closed minded I was constantly, gently trying to re-direct. When she has just started playing the out-in game.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page