My mother fed my vegetarian toddler hamburger : ( - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmama59 View Post
Tell her about all of the heavy metals, antibiotics, and synthetic hormones that infest all of America's meat. Let her watch some of those horrific PETA slaughterhouse videos (Meet Your Meat, I think?). Maybe a little explanation and 'proof' that it's not such a radical thing will help her to understand more.
Respectfully, this is not an accurate statement. There are meat eaters out here in America who eat only ethically raised/slaughtered meat. I buy my meat directly from farmers who engage in practices I 100% agree with and they are slaughtered under very humane conditions. It is possible to be a meat eater and do it in a way that is not about synthetic hormones, antibiotics, heavy metals, or inhumane practices.

That said! I believe that it is a very reasonable choice to be a vegetarian and I think that the OPs mother was completely and totally over the line. That is unacceptable behavior and that would be grounds for severing contact for a good long while in my opinion.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grrrrrrrrrr this makes me so mad for you!

I think given her 'history' of being toxic that it would be appropriate to only allow supervised visits, or if that's not cutting it, no visits at all.

My family respects my choices (though they don't agree with all of them) but I still don't leave DS alone with them because they don't fully UNDERSTAND my dietary choices. Until they can understand them (meaning understand what 'no meat' & 'no eggs' etc. mean, not necessarily the reasons behind them), they won't be watching DS alone -- wouldn't even go to the bathroom if there's food around. (I should also add there are other reasons for not leaving him with them, not just diet).

But I am incredibly strict with diet. I don't believe it's OK for DS to have "just a little" whatever -- to me, the things we avoid are toxic, I'm not willing to have them put 'just a few' toxins in his body, anymore than I'd allow them to give him a sip of vodka or something. I don't understand the impulse to feed kids foods other than what the parent has OK'ed, unless there is a severe lack of suitable foods & the kid would go hungry or something. *sigh* I'm getting more & more frustrated just typing this response...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page