It's not just me...Behavior changes in 2.2 year old DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I was just hormonal from recently weaning and just really overheated from the hot spell we're having here on the east coast. But this week my DD is acting so different. She is way whiny and didn't used to be...maybe a tad, but not like this. Just now, getting her down to nap, she keeps coming up with ways to get me back up there..."another song, another story, hugs and kisses, blanket on". I used to be able to say how many stories, how many songs and she was all set...hugs and kisses and she would go to sleep. She's saying "no" more. She's being defiant when she didn't used to be. I know, I know...this is pretty typical bx...but I can't help but blame myself. Is it because I weaned her? I nursed for 25 months. But I was just ready. How selfish. She wasn't ready. She still asks for "milkies" and I remind her they're all gone. No fits, no tantrums. She's supposedly cool with it. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells around her now. She used to be so adaptable, so easygoing. This past weekend she was up later a lot and did different activities every day with family and friends in town. Could that be it? I find myself getting enraged...something I felt awhile ago...I am not a spanker, hitter, but I can yell, though if I do, it's like once a month. That's still too much for me. My mom yelled...a lot. I don't want to fall into that genetic become your mommy groove.

She can tell when I "shut down", like when I feel like I'm about to go off and yell. I try to deep breathe and become neutral face mommy and she will hold my face and say "sorry". Crap. Have I already made her feel guilt? I'm trying to use a firm voice when I feel like yelling.

Life otherwise is good. Why does that mommy rage come so easily? It is hormones? I read how we don't go from 0-60 in a matter of seconds. We often start at like 58 which life stuff (finances, relationships, works, household) and one thing will push us quickly over the edge. I haven't this need to yell and slam doors in ages. But hitting doesn't even occur to me. I try to picture spanking and it seems so absurd and pointless and I think of how she and I would feel after. So, that's not a concern for me. But I don't want to be Old Yeller. Esp., when I haven't felt that urge in such a long time.

We're going swimming and to the playground to cool off when she wakes up. Planning to grill tonight with DH and lots of fun stuff this weekend. So, I just need to breathe and acknowledge her: frustration, anger, sadness, etc. and let her know nice mommy is here for her when she's ready for a hug. I feel a mantra coming on. Any good mantras out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
It's not just you. I haven't weaned my 25 month old and I'm getting the same stuff. My mantra is, "This too shall pass." I say it a lot.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in a very similar boat. DD is just shy of 2 and has become a serious whiner. Some afternoons, she just whines and cries until bedtime. I don't know why. We go outside, read books, see friends, she naps well... I too have been having a hard time w/ it, especially since I am in school and all ready stressed out. I had a low point a few weeks ago. DD was getting worked up and told herself to "stop whining." : ( I felt like such a jerk. Then she told her 5 y/o cousin to stop whining. : ( : ( : ( Then I REALLY felt like such a jerk. I've since stopped telling her to stop whining and try to just talk to her and distract her. Being a mom is such a learning process. My mom used to say terrible things to me and yell all the time, and when I heard her say "stop whining," I felt like I had gone back 28 years to my own childhood.

I guess i just wanted to write and comisserate a bit. I think we've all been there.

Working student, Doula, wife and Mother to my little nugget, Rowan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page