Sleeping arrangements when tenting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you go tenting with your toddler, what are your sleeping arrangements?

I had one mom tell me her 2.5 yo slept in a playpen in their tent, but we'd need to upsize to a MUCH larger tent for that to work.

While we don't normally co-sleep, I was considering it but can't see how it would work with a mummy-type sleeping bag.

We have a queen-size air matress that fits in the tent we have now and I'm pretty sure we could all sleep on it with DS in the middle, but do I get him a full-size sleeping bag for himself or what? I just can't quite sort this out and we're supposed to be going camping in a couple weeks!

(Oh, and I'd really like to try and avoid shelling out a whole bunch of $$$ for a new tent this season if at all possible. The tent we have is a three-person tent ... so acutally fits two adults comfortably, lol!)

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#2 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM

We did not use mummy bags. We made a mat on the floor each had their own blanket but these blankets were large enough to cover at least 2 people.

It can drop and night. If each has their own blanket they can control how much. If it gets to cold 2 people snuggled together under 2 blankets than 1 person in a mummybag. Especially if one of them are small.
#3 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM

We don't use sleeping bags when we camp. If it's cold, a nice thick blanket under us (on the air mattress), then blankets on top, and of course warm clothes.
I don't know about an air mattress with a little one between you though - I guess it depends on everyone's sizes. When DH and I used to sleep on an air mattress together, I tended to get kind of rolled into him & squished since he was nearly 2 1/2 times my weight.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM

We usually just unzip a full sized sleeping bag and sleep on it with the kid(s) between DH and me, and another unzipped sleeping bag or blanket on top. We live in FL, though. I'm not sure what we would do if camping where it was very cold at night.
#5 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM

I would not try to share an air mattress with two adults and a toddler, because of the rolling/squishing aspects for the lightest member. I also wouldn't get a sleeping bag yet. I might borrow one, but not purchase. You might find a big blanket works as well.

I put my toddler next to me in her own blanket when we camp. I stay with her until she's sleeping, rejoining her when we're ready for bed ourselves.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
mtm

we do one sleeping bag opened under us, one over us. I sleep with my dd (2) and my dh sleeps in the other tent with my older boys. Have fun!
#7 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have two four-inch foamies that we roll out horizontal (if that makes sense). That means that our upper bodies are all on one, and our lower bodies are all on the other. We got them at an outdoor surplus store, for about thirty dollars each, but MAN are they ever worth it!
They are super comfortable, and we sleep just as at home, with our toddler between us. We use blankets, and not bags.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#8 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM

I am going camping next weekend with my son (he'll turn 18 months while we're there!) and I bought a 4" foam pad which I will make up with sheets and blankets. I was unsure about using an air mattress because I figured he would just be rolling into me all night.

Starling - I'm glad to hear you like your foam mattress. I bought a double size one and it was about $60, I figure it will be a good investment

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#9 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
We have two four-inch foamies that we roll out horizontal (if that makes sense). That means that our upper bodies are all on one, and our lower bodies are all on the other. We got them at an outdoor surplus store, for about thirty dollars each, but MAN are they ever worth it!
They are super comfortable, and we sleep just as at home, with our toddler between us. We use blankets, and not bags.
This. We use roll out mats horizontally, a polar fleece blanket under us and unzipped sleeping bags (possibly plus a blanket if it's cold) on top. We've camped this way with just DD and also with 3 year old DD and DS who was 5 months. Still very comfortable with four of us. The other advantage is that if the temp does drop overnight you can easily rearrange to have the two littlies in the middle & the adults keeping them warm.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#10 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM

We have 3 self inflating sleep mats that are about 4 inches thick with straps that couple them together. Then we use our feather matress on top of the mats and a light feather duvet on top with our feather pillows. I love it! Last year DS sleep on the outside mat with his sheep skin on top of it and him in a sleep bag. Our feather bed is the size of a double so it is just a bit bigger then two mats but too small for the 3 mats. This year I want to figure out a comfy way for him to DS to sleep between us as we are camping for 8 nights and I like to be comfy!

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#11 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM

When we tent we use a futon and sheets and blankets. DD sleeps between us just like she does at home.
#12 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've done quite a bit of backpacking with my 17 month old. We put him in between us like at home, with thermarest inflatable mattresses underneath (just 2, but we can squish the 3 of us fine onto the two mats - two mats horizontal also sounds like a good idea). We sleep in a modified extra big sleeping bag that's basically the same as having a big quilt on top of the three of us. Haven't found any squishing issues with the inflatable pads, but these are the extra-light ones, so there's not a lot of air or thickness there in the first place.
#13 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 PM

we got ds his own sleeping bag at Target for like $20, but I don't plan on doing any freezing cold camping in the near future, so its not a particularly nice bag. Although the night we bought it and camped (bc we didn't get it until the day we were going) it went down to 30degrees!

Anyway we have a queen size air mattress for us and then ds sleeps on another mat next to us (smaller than a twin) and sometimes comes up in bed in the night/morning sometimes not.

When its cold I usually end up cuddling him, but when its warm he stays on the other mat
#14 of 24 Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM

We always cosleeped when we camped when dd was little. Depending on weather it was either 2 regular sleeping bags zipped together or one unzipped on the bottom with sheets and blankets on top as needed.
#15 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
I would not try to share an air mattress with two adults and a toddler, because of the rolling/squishing aspects for the lightest member.
I hadn't considered this, so thanks for the reminder. DH & I are pretty evenly weighted, but I think DH would still be concerned about DS rolling into him. The full queen air matress is a pain, so it'll be nicer to go with our thermarests anyway.

Quote:
We put him in between us like at home, with thermarest inflatable mattresses underneath (just 2, but we can squish the 3 of us fine onto the two mats - two mats horizontal also sounds like a good idea).
Does the person in the middle not just end up on the ground? Our tent is rectangluar and DH is tall, so I don't think the two mats horizontal would work for us...

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#16 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Does the person in the middle not just end up on the ground? Our tent is rectangluar and DH is tall, so I don't think the two mats horizontal would work for us...
The person in the middle is the toddler. He ends up a little bit on the ground sometimes, but we always put some extra clothes underneath, and he's so light he never seems to notice whether he has as much padding or not.
#17 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Exactly this set-up for us as well! We went on a 3-week primitive camping adventure throughout the western U.S. with DD about a month ago, and we had a blast!! Hope you have a great time!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#18 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM

We don't camp when the temp drops below 50F with DS. If we did, we wouldn't use an air mattress (hypothermia concerns).

We've slept with him on a Coleman airmattress since he was 7mo or so, but I'd not do it again with a kid that young as I didn't sleep well (worried about the divots in the air mattress, plus I screwed up my shoulder by sleeping with it under my head while sidelying). Anyhow, we've slept on it a lot since then with no problems.

We zip together two adult bags (not mummy bags) into a double sleeping bag. Kiddo hates blankets, so he ends up sleeping on top of the bag, between us. If it's chilly at night, we put him in footie pajamas. I recommend a crib pad (flannel, wool) because pee soaked sleeping bags are horrible. We have a sewn together sheet set we use as a liner sometimes.

We now have self inflating mattresses. We don't have the straps to keep them together, so kiddo tends to sleep on the ground between us as the mattress shift through the night. I've thought about buying a short pad for him, but we like how it keeps him contained (3yo). He sleeps atop the bag, between us.

Before DS started STTN, I couldn't sleep on the thin pads. I needed an air mattress because of the frequent nursing. My hips and sciatica would keep me immobile the next day if I slept on a thinner pad or thermarest.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#19 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM

We just got a double sleeping bag recently and it worked great. We figure we could use it for ourselves when dd wants her own bag.

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#20 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM

I don't find it very comfortable sharing a queen air matress with 3 people. I guess it depends on the matress though. We had a king size that was close to the ground and the queen version of that would have probably been ok. The air matresses we have now are the ones that are high off the ground and they are the worst for dipping in the middle etc... If we were going to sleep all three on one matress, I think the best would be to take 2 sleeping bags and zip them together so that 3 could fit inside. Is there any room at all for you to make a tiny soft bed on the floor for your ds? Or slip in a twin matress? Also when we were camping as kids with mom and dad, we never even used air matresses. We had these thin blue pads, I think they were called aerolite or something like that.

caffix.gif

#21 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

I'm sure this has been mentioned but sleeping with a toddler and another adult on an air mattress could be very dangerous. Even one adult and a baby is dangerous. I did it for about an hour with DD when I was visiting a friend once and I didn't sleep a wink and ended up grabbing her and sleeping on the firm floor because the air mattress was way to soft.

Blankets work well too. We have an extra large sleeping bag (for 2 people) that we open up all the way and then lay on that under some blankets. We are actually camping next weekend and this will be our setup...We have co-slept from day 1 though, I'm not sure if that would make a difference if you don't normally do that?
#22 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 PM

I just came back from camping, my dd started out on her own air mattress in her own sleeping bag, halfway through the night she joined me on my twin sized air mattress and we snuggled together and slept just fine. We shared my sleeping bag ( not mummy like) and I'd throw the bag she was in on top of us if it was cool

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#23 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM

we have a tent large enough for a pack n play so that works for us best, but if we didn't, we would just bring blankets and sleeping bags and set up a regular style bed rather than sleep IN sleeping bags. i dont' like to be in them anyway... freaks me out. I just unzip them all the way and cover up. I'd probably forgoe the airmattress though. They are annoying alone, much less with a little one causing divets and junk. I just would have extra sleeping bags/comforters to make the ground softer
#24 of 24 Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

We had the same issue, our tent holds a queen mattress but 2 adults and a 2 year old who takes up as much room as a full grown adult...it wasn't going to work.

We managed to borrow a larger tent from friends and put the queen air mattress next to a single, it filled the entire tent. DD normally sleeps by herself but wants to cuddle up with me in the tent, so she and I sleep on the queen and DH on the single so that she won't fall in the crack. We live near the mountains but we are only camping in warmer, low lying areas while she is so young, but it's still fuzzy jammies and socks. I zip 2 sleeping bags together so the bed surface is as smooth as possible, but I unzip them about half way so we aren't entombed inside. It works out pretty well.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page