UPDATE #10 -- possible whooping cough at my daughter's preschool---what would you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin (and the assistant director of my daughter's preschool) just called me to say they have an unconfirmed case of whooping cough in a child who attends my daughter's preschool but on different days than my daughter. My dd goes T & Th mornings, this other child MWF. My concern is the risk of my dd contracting it from a child who goes to the school M-F.

I also have a 10 mo ds (at home w/ me).

Both of my kids are unvaccinated.

I don't know if I should keep her home tomorrow (what about next week, etc.) Or just make sure we're giving her her vit d supplements....what?

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#2 of 14 Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My daughter was diagnosed with Bronchitis yesterday. I noticed a boy was coughing at her daycare about 10 days ago and she too doesn't go full time. In a few days she was coughing but it was nothing serious as she was v. active. Finally we took her to the doctor yesterday. I don't like the idea that they allow sick kids to be there but I guess that's the way it is with daycares. One time there was an older kid in dd's class at daycare. She said she was there because she was sick. I was mortified to say the least. If I had the same issue as you, I would not send dd until I find out the child with the whooping cough has recovered.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#3 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Neera,
Thank you for your response. I am also bothered by the number of sick kids at my dd's preschool. I keep her home when she's sick, but as a sahm I guess I have a luxury other parents don't. If the truly sick kids were kept home though, I think all the kids would be healthier. But, it might be the nature of little kids in big groups...they just don't have a handle on hygiene yet!

Potato,
Actually, that's not the only factor in the rise of whooping cough.

According to the mayo clinic:

Quote:
Whooping cough is thought to be on the rise for two main reasons. The whooping cough vaccine you receive as a child eventually wears off, leaving most teenagers and adults susceptible to the infection during an outbreak — and there continue to be regular outbreaks. In addition, children aren't fully immune to whooping cough until they've received at least three shots, leaving those 6 months and younger at greatest risk of contracting the infection.
and the NNii notes that the DTap is only

Quote:
59-89% effective in preventing pertussis
And you know, I'm a parent trying to make the best decisions for my children and family and community just like any other parent. There is no call to disparage me or my choices.

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
#4 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM

clemrose, pay no attention to asinine comments. We all do our best to care for our families, and sometimes that includes not vaccinating. We understand you came for advice on what to do with your current daycare situation, not your vaccinating choices.

Since you are a SAHM, it wouldn`t be too difficult to keep her home for a while. But know that the incubation period for pertussis is 7-10 days, so while you may keep her home for a week, there may already be other little ones incubating and ready to spread it when you decide to take your LO back to daycare. My LO went to daycare starting at 9 months and parents send their kids when they should be in the hospital, even though the rules say otherwise. I`ve seen kids taken to daycare who coughed so hard they would vomit from all the straining....really sad. But that`s what happens when we live in a society where you might fear loosing your job if you take a day off to stay home with your sick child. My daughter got sick a bunch of times (ear infections, cold/flu, and whooping cough) and I stayed home with her because I just couldn`t send her feeling so crappy (it felt inhumane). It sucks seeing them sick, but they rebound just fine. My daughter`s never been sick enough to take antibiotics, so I just chalk it up to childhood and daycare occurences. Hope you DD doesn´t catch it!
#5 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
Neera,
Thank you for your response. I am also bothered by the number of sick kids at my dd's preschool. I keep her home when she's sick, but as a sahm I guess I have a luxury other parents don't. If the truly sick kids were kept home though, I think all the kids would be healthier. But, it might be the nature of little kids in big groups...they just don't have a handle on hygiene yet!

Potato,
Actually, that's not the only factor in the rise of whooping cough.

According to the [URL="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whooping-cough/DS00445/DSECTION=risk-factors"]mayo clinic[

and the NNii notes that the DTap is only

And you know, I'm a parent trying to make the best decisions for my children and family and community just like any other parent. There is no call to disparage me or my choices.
I am not doubting your choice. I am just saying that you may want to look into a whooping cough vaccine or at least the statistics whooping cough is on the rise. And one of the reasons for that is many people are choosing not to vaccinate their children for it, with the understanding that the rest of the children whom are vaccinated will protect their child by not getting sick. Does this work, yes mostly. Can this fail, definitely. Now we have chosen to vaccinate our son with some vaccinations, not all. This was our choice, as it is your right to make the same choice.

As for the question at hand. I would keep her home, especially with her not being vaccinated. And I would be very cautious about taking her back for about 2 weeks, that way you can give the other children time to develop symptoms. And you will be able to decide if you feel comfortable sending her back at that time. You do what you think it right to keep your child safe.
#6 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Vaxing doesn't prevent transmission of pertussis so the kids who are vaxed are just as likely to be carriers then non-vaxing children. The whole "your non-vaxed child is rising off of my vaxed child's coat tails" thing just is not correct. Yes, pertussis is on the rise, many reasons play into that but if you look at the data, many, many vaxed children get it as well. We did get a few years back, and almost every that did get it then were vaxed for it, except us of course.

OP, I wouldn't freak out yet. It is unconfirmed so far, I've known a number of children who have had severe coughs that were tested for WC over the years, and they have all been negative. Wait, see if it is actually it and then decide.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 PM

My vaxed kid brought Pertussis home from public school and my unvaxed two year old didn't have much of a problem with it. The teenager's grade point average didn't recover from missing so much school, but it wasn't much of a health crisis for either kid. My parents didn't have much trouble with it either when they had it in the '40s. Pertussis is dangerous for kids under 3 months old, but your 10 month old should be fine if he catches it.

If you're in CA, this might be of interest:

http://drtenpenny.com/default.aspx

I'd send her and not worry about it, just keep an eye out for symptoms and keep them at home while it runs its course if they catch it.
#8 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM

I had whooping cough a few years ago and it was HORRIBLE. I was in good shape before I contracted it, eating well, and I just could not fight it. I coughed until I vomited and coughed up mucous full of blood for WEEKS.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it. I will be MANIACAL about keeping my DD away from that nastiness. I realize my experience was probably abnormal, but I don't think I've ever been that sick. Advice: keep her home for 2 weeks and check back to see if anyone's been sick.

The thought of it makes me . Whooping cough was horrible.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#9 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd keep her home. We've had six infant deaths in california in the last few weeks. Whooping cough can be very serious for infants. My husband and I are getting boosters. We vaccinate but the baby doesn't have it yet and toddler goes to preschool too.
#10 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I'm still not sure if we're sending our dd to preschool tomorrow or not. The case has been confirmed as WC, and the preschool is requiring that all children with symptoms that could be WC not come to school until they have a drs note stating that they don't have it.

My mom is an RN & nursing instructor and says she sees no reason not to send her (I'm only partially vaxed & my two younger sibs are unvaxed so you can see my mom's view isn't auto vax or not--she kind of lives in both worlds). From her perspective there is no way to keep my children away from it all together unless we just never go anywhere. She approves of the preschool's preventive measures. And I'm taking measures to boost our immune systems. My DS is still breastfeeding, so he's got that on his side.

My husband is inclined to send her, and I'm honestly ambivalent at this point. Part of the reason I don't vax is because I believe my kids will have stronger immune systems w/o vaxing and that a lot of things that are vaxed for are treatable. I have a great midwife w/ a homeopathic background who I can always call for treatment advice too.

I guess at this point I'm almost on the fence between continuing preschool and pulling her out altogether. Tough stuff this mommy gig brings with it!

#11 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 AM

If I were you, I would keep my child away from the daycare for a while. A year ago or so, my almost 90-year old grandma warned me about WC and daycare. She had her three young children come down with it and she said it was really miserable.
#12 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Eh. I'm 50-50 on this. In your particular circumstances, it sounds like you have the resources to perhaps keep it (WC) at bay or deal with it if your DD should catch it. Since you're home, you might keep her home for the rest of the week and see what Monday brings.

Leaning more toward keeping her home, now that I see you have a younger one. You wouldn't want two to be exposed if you could avoid it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#13 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM

I was under the impression that if you have a vax preventable disease in your school, any unvax'd children must be excluded, not a voluntary thing at all. So you might want to check into that first. This issue is the biggest reason for schools to have vaccination records.
#14 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
I was under the impression that if you have a vax preventable disease in your school, any unvax'd children must be excluded, not a voluntary thing at all. So you might want to check into that first. This issue is the biggest reason for schools to have vaccination records.
It depends on the definition of "outbreak." I'm not sure how consistent the definition is, it's not usually just one person with the illness but it's possible that could be used in some circumstances.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page