Durable Toddler shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I'm not even sure if DD is wearing toddler sizes anymore. Is 9/10 a toddler size still?

All I know is my usual shoe outlets for DD stop at 7 or 8.

I need decent shoes. Yeah, Target is cheap and has the sizes, but the shoes are crap.

Stride Rite is expensive but their shoes don't last either. I paid $45 for shoes there once and the colored leather peeled off!

I liked the angel squeakers and supporting a charity at the same time, but they are always out of stock and their sizes stop at 8.

So, where are you finding durable shoes? I love Robeez but they never have stock of the bigger sizes.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#2 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM

My boys have worn keens after the first wobbly toddler days are over. They are incredibly durable, cute and washable. The foot bed is nice and wide for my kiddos and they are very stable shoes, especially for sandals. They wear closed versions during the winter.
#3 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

OOooo great suggestion. Found a great tennis shoe for her. Knock on wood her feet are growing a bit slower right now so hopefully she'll use them for 4-6 months.

Okay, so now I need a 'dressier' shoe and I didn't see anything on Keen. I'm thinking brown leather and we like cutesy but tasteful designs.

Thoughts? Please?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#4 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM

The Pediped Flex shoes go up to 13.5. Super cute and durable shoes. I get great deals on Amazon and during their Make-a-Wish promotions. I also love See Kai Run, but they only go up to 9 in their toddler sizes. They recently had a great shoe of the day promotion with 50% off one boy and one girl pair each day. I find that the leather is not as durable on the SKR as it is super soft, but I love them anyway and don't mind a bit of scuff, we just don't wear them to the playground.

Also, I know you aren't looking for tennis shoes still, but I find that Converse has some cute and super durable shoes.
#5 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Great suggestion.

Are you sure the pediped don't scuff easily/peel--they remind me a bit of the Stride Rite shoe that scuffed on Day 1 and peeled by Day 5.

V

#6 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM

We've been happy with the See Kai Run line of shoes and they have a line I think called Eleven that extends the size of the shoes past toddler size.

They've been fairly durable. Scuffs, which I think are a part of toddler shoes, happened but not immediately. I would say my kid is right now wearing SKR for 3 months before her feet grow. They usually look fairly decent at 3 months. The only exception was her first pair but she was also learning to run at the time and there were alot of tumbles.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#7 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My little one is a 5.5, but he's active, and falls a lot. We really like vans, and Converse. We have a pair of stride right like this Grandma bought and they are holding up pretty well.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM

I think the Pedipeds hold up pretty well for a toddler shoe (a shoe that will probably take some abuse.) The leather upper is a little sturdier than her SKR, almost nubbier (does that make sense?) DD isn't really hard on her Pedipeds, though. She is wild at the playground (usually in Converse), but not as much out and about running regular errands or attending events.
We have had these:
http://www.pediped.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=146
and these:
http://www.pediped.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=149
and both held up very well and still looked great after months of wear. (Especially the polka dots.)

But there are no guarantees with toddlers and their shoes.
#9 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

This thread has been so helpful!

#10 of 21 Old 07-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Great suggestion.

Are you sure the pediped don't scuff easily/peel--they remind me a bit of the Stride Rite shoe that scuffed on Day 1 and peeled by Day 5.

V
DD has a pair of pediped mary janes & they scuff pretty easily, but they are shiny & shiny shoes seem to wear faster. They still look wearable & there is no pealing.
they are these, but red
http://www.pediped.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=279

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#11 of 21 Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm loving Livie and Luca for my toddler and preschooler right now.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#12 of 21 Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM

I wear Keen sandles and although they are comfy, I always get rocks in them. I wonder if my DD would too? Once the rock goes in I have to take them off to get it out.
What a pain!
We may try the shoes in the fall though.
#13 of 21 Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM

DS wears SKR shoes. I really like them. They do scuff, but he wears them everywhere and pretty much any leather is going to scuff if you're running and jumping in them, yk?

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#14 of 21 Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Another vote for Pedipeds. We love those shoes! They seem to take endless abuse and they have some adorable styles.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#15 of 21 Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Soft Star shoes are wonderful! We even stomp in puddles in them and no peeling or fading! They are hand made in Oregon. Sizes go through adults... I want a pair for me!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#16 of 21 Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Soft Star shoes are wonderful! We even stomp in puddles in them and no peeling or fading! They are hand made in Oregon. Sizes go through adults... I want a pair for me!
That's great to hear! I was considering a pair of their boots for dd last winter.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#17 of 21 Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
ssh

I'm surprised about the stride right shoes. My DDs outgrown old pair still look good after 8 months wear. Did you call or email the manufacturer? I had a pair of See Kai Run that the insole came unattached and they replaced them. Maybe your specific shoes were defective. We also got DDs stride right shoes at an outlet store so the first pair was $34 and the ones she's wearing now were on sale buy one get one half price, so at $14.95 the second shoe was $7.45. The outlet stores always have some styles on sale. We like them because they come in extra wide. We love the SKR shoes but the Eleven brand is just too expensive and may not be wide enough.
#18 of 21 Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
That's great to hear! I was considering a pair of their boots for dd last winter.
I got a pair of ss boots for dd last winter and they are still going strong. The leather is dyed (azo free dye) so even if the do scuff it is still the same color, there isn't a layer that peels off. I'm considering getting a pair for myself this year.
#19 of 21 Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 PM

See Kai Run has a line for bigger kids called "Eleven." They use a somewhat tougher leather than for the original SKRs, and the shoes last much better. (Plus a little colored polish can work WONDERS...)

Pedipeds have been getting better about wear. In the new fall line more of the shoes have e.g. rubber toe caps -- we've had some in the past that got bad scuffing, but only on the toes. I wonder how long they'll keep expanding the size range? DD1 had their baby shoes when they first started, and so far every time she's been about to outgrow their size range, they expand it... just got her some 30's, and they only just introduced 30 and 31 this month.

Those two brands have been the only ones that fit comfortably out of the box, no blisters, no complaints... and the shoes hold together structurally, so I think I'm mostly willing to live with the scuffs.

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
#20 of 21 Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Our Pedipeds went through about 6 months of near-daily use with a 19-25 month old. They still look nearly new. I'd definitely spend the money for that brand again.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#21 of 21 Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Another Livie and Luca fan here. DD wore a pair of their boots all winter. They still look great.

''''

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page