2 year old hasn't peed in 9 hours - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to wait another hour and then take him to the ER. I just had him drink quite a bit of coconut water and I want to see if it helps.

I am a non-medicating mom and would rather not have to take him to the ER for antibiotics and fluids to be put into him. Please help if you have had any similar experiences.

DS caught a bug on Tuesday while he was with his cousin. The cousin has just gotten over a virus but was still healing, and no one cared to tell me about it... gotta love that!

Wednesday morning woke up with a fever and vomited once. Fever went to 103 the highest without medication. Fever broke on Thursday morning and DS had some diarreah and didn't eat or drink much. Plenty of breastmilk though.
Friday (today) DS peed (dark yellow) at 8:30 this morning. Threw up his breakfast around 12. Drank about 2 cups of fluids since and some breastmilk. Not sure how much breastmilk because its hard to measure that.

He's congested and keeps complaining that his lower back hurts. I now he needs to go to the ER, but if I could get some kind of idea of what we might be dealing with first, it would be helpful...

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your son sounds really dehydrated.

I know you don't like ERs, but for dehydration, they would give him an IV with electrolytes. He'd only get meds if he had an infection, which may also be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
I'm going to wait another hour and then take him to the ER. I just had him drink quite a bit of coconut water and I want to see if it helps.

I am a non-medicating mom and would rather not have to take him to the ER for antibiotics and fluids to be put into him. Please help if you have had any similar experiences.

DS caught a bug on Tuesday while he was with his cousin. The cousin has just gotten over a virus but was still healing, and no one cared to tell me about it... gotta love that!

Wednesday morning woke up with a fever and vomited once. Fever went to 103 the highest without medication. Fever broke on Thursday morning and DS had some diarreah and didn't eat or drink much. Plenty of breastmilk though.
Friday (today) DS peed (dark yellow) at 8:30 this morning. Threw up his breakfast around 12. Drank about 2 cups of fluids since and some breastmilk. Not sure how much breastmilk because its hard to measure that.

He's congested and keeps complaining that his lower back hurts. I now he needs to go to the ER, but if I could get some kind of idea of what we might be dealing with first, it would be helpful...

#3 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 PM

My mom who is a nurse said you should go to the ER. 9 hours is way to long for a 2 yr old to go without urination and the back pain really bothers her, along with the earlier dark urine. Severe dehydration sounds possible.
#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 PM

You need to take him in now, not later. The back pain really worries me as dehydration and kidney damage are very real risks.
#5 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM

I agree. Please take him in. Hope he feels better soon.

Live and love with your whole being.
#6 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. After hearing from Beebliss, I rushed to get us dressed. Got all packed up for the ER and then he peed! He peed alot, actually, and he seems ok now.

When I ask him how his back feels, he says "good".

I think he may have been dehydrated. But Im a little confused. I don't think he's getting as much breastmilk as he needs. He's nursing constantly, because he's sick- and I thought he was getting all he needed. He is a two year old and maybe my supply is dwindling.

Im still keeping a close eye on him to make sure he drinks and pees. And I'm not relying solely on my breastmilk to hydrate him. Is there any way I can tell how much he is drinking? When he's on the breast, he's constanly pinching the other and sometimes he ends up switching sides like every 5 seconds.

I feel so naive...

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#7 of 10 Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 PM

I like Dr. Sears guidelines on vomiting and dehydration... my daughter at 2 had a virus where she was only peeing once every 12-18 hours. I was freaked out but honestly she was mostly herself other than the lack of peeing. Anyway.. I checked out Dr. Sears' website and followed his thoughts and practices. He's not into scare tactics and fear mongering.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081300.asp

He's really quite informative and breaks it down into mild, moderate, severe...

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#8 of 10 Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Demeter, the site was helpful. I think he had mild dehydration.

His lips were dry but mouth wet. Eyes wet, and lots of tears.

But I do remember thinking that his heart was beating pretty fast (one of the signs of severe dehydration).

I didn't know how to figure out his heart rate. I counted the beats of his heart, which was about 80 beats in 30 seconds, but I'm not sure how that relates to taking a pulse.

Of course, I had no idea that would be a sign of dehydration at the time... so it wouldn't have helped me too much.

#9 of 10 Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 AM

80 beats in 30 seconds would be 160 beats in one minute, or 160 beats per minute and is his heart rate. That would be elevated for a toddler.
http://childrensheartinstitute.org/e...t/beathome.htm
But also note that a fever will cause an increased heartrate as well.

It'd be most accurate to count for 10 seconds a few times (note the number for each time) to see that you're getting about the same count each time, and then multiply that number by 6 to get the heart rate. Just because the longer you count, the more chances to miss a count or think you have and add extras.
#10 of 10 Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sapphire Chan - I will try that. You're right, it's easy to miss a few beats the longer you count. The ten second counting makes sense.

Hopefully, my poor DS never has to go through this again. But in the event that he does I feel much better equipped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page