August 2008 mamas: where are you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

Can you believe our babes are almost two? I am flying by the seat of my pants right now, but loving these days...: filled with lots of new discoveries, new words, and personality.

It's funny having a second baby, because I've caught myself so many times thinking I knew what was coming up, or how to deal with something, and then realizing that what worked for Kid A wouldn't necessarily work with Kid B! Although there are days that are so tough, I am so loving this stage.

So how are you and your little ones? Some of you must be pregnant again? Or (gasp) have already had another babe?? Any special plans for birthday celebrations?

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#2 of 13 Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM

*waves*
Hey there!
I can't believe 2 is coming up in....10...days...eep!
Xander is a great little guy. Such a character. So affectionate. And he's such a talented artist! He's drawing faces! It's amazing! We're having some trouble with screeching and throwing, but I assume it's normal toddler-y stuff.

We still don't really have plans for his birthday, although we did get his big present yesterday: a wooden play kitchen (from kijiji....LOVE kijiji). I'm hoping I can find/make some felt food and accessories before his actual birthday.

We don't have another baby, and I'm not pregnant, much to the chagrin of my stepmother-in-law :-P. We're just not feeling the urge yet. My official answer when someone asks is "When the idea of another baby no longer horrifies me." (Not slagging those who DO have another one, merely indicating *my* current lack of interest).
#3 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Mine is 2 today! We have another on the way in November

DS is very musically inclined and also likes bike riding and being outside. He seems to be doing a self-directed potty learning thing currently so we are going with that! He had a fun bday party yesterday.

Thanks for the thread, I'm excited to see the other mamas!
#4 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Megamus, I felt the same way about a second! We weren't ready til DD was about 2.5, and started asking us for a brother or sister. We figured since she was ready, we should be too, hee hee...

It's cool hearing what your kiddos are up to! We are in a screeching phase too (NOT FUN), but I know it'll pass once the novelty wears off. Ro is just starting to put some words together that others can understand easily, and is repeating everything, so I know it won't be long. He is really physical too
(maybe it's a boy thing???) and climbs well, everything. He loves being in the water and on his trike too. We do a lot of drawing and painting, since DD (5 tomorrow!) loves arty stuff too. Left to his own devices though, he would nurture his obsession with cars and construction vehicles and farm equipment (and motorcyles, and trucks...), all day long. He lines up all his little cars by colour and moves them along in little intricate lines. He cocks his head when he hears a car (or garbage truck, or tractor, or motorcyle...) come down the road and names the vehicle. He is SUCH A BOY!!! And it's totally not modeled/encouraged. So funny how much of it is nature.

He's been out of diapers since 20 months, except for night time, with not too many accidents. It's funny to see the similarities and differences between kids. Mine are so similar in terms of physical developments (teething patterns, walking, self-weaning, toilet training all within days of one another) but SUCH different temperaments. Ro is so laid back. It's funny now that we approach the terrible twos, and he is starting to assert himself. We are so unused to seeing him freak out!! I am looking forward to him talking more, because I know a lot of his frustration comes from not being able to express himself (Oh, and his big sister tormenting him, of course, but that's not going to end anytime soon...)

Mostly I am just loving his still there baby chub and soft skin and giggle. This is such a great stage! Happy 2nd birthday, babes and mamas!

#5 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

and congrats, tinyactsofcharity, on a new babe to be! Yahoo!

#6 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 PM

We're here! Planning a party this year for ds's birthday this year. Last year we didn't do much, just the 3 of us at home. This year he has friends to invite over!

It is amazing how fast this second year has gone by. He's really caught on to language this spring/summer. He's up to 3-4 word sentences, with easily 200+ words. We've been dealing with a lot of deliberate defiance, and asserting himself lately. Wanting to be very independent. A few tantrums here and there. He's all but given up naps (this was harder on me than it's been on him). And is finally *knock on wood* sleeping a little better at night. We had to move him to his own bed, and now he sleeps 6 and 7 hour stretches most nights, before coming to our bed for early morning nursing. I miss his snuggly little self in bed next to me, but we're both getting more sleep this way. So it was time. PL is not going very well yet. I'm not really pushing it though. Another ALL BOY here too! dirt, climbing, water, tools, anything with wheels, airplanes, turns everything into a gun or weapon of some sort. very macho, just like his daddy!

We are ttc for #2, this will be our 5th cycle to try. Really, the closer to 3 ds is, I think the better it will be for us, so we're not in a huge rush. We had hoped to have a spring of 11 baby though. I don't want another hot miserable summer pregnancy if I can avoid it!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#7 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 AM

Well, my girly-girl who starts conversations about clothes at the playground with total strangers, "shirt! bu'erf'y! bubbles! Pants?", heads straight for the toy trains at the Children's museum and points out every passing truck, car, van, "MO-CYCLE!!". Second favorite toy is her babies, but the best thing to do with them is give them rides on/in something with wheels.

Nursing's still going strong and is a convenience when she's sick.

She's recently started being willing to climb up the playground structures alone to go slide down the big slides. She prefers to put her feet down and slide slowly, though, even the times when I stand at the bottom to catch her.

She never walks when she can run and never runs when she can jump.
#8 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Hey there! My DD will be two in 12 days .. we're doing a day on the beach with family to celebrate. Though I say this about every stage, this is thus far my favorite. I love how confident she is becoming, I love watching her puff up with pride when she masters a new task or a new phrase .. I love how she is more and more able to communicate her thoughts, questions, and concerns with us ... I don't love the fussiness when she is tired and can't get her way, or the constant refrain for "pops" when I've only given her a lollipop a handful of times in her life ... but all in all, life is very good! No little one in sight for us, DD may be an only child.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#9 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 AM

Hi! I was in the Sept DDC, but as you can see DS came early!

My little guy is such a sweetheart. He's still not talking much, maybe a dozen words? And a lot of them are probably only recognizable to me and DH. But he understands EVERYTHING and tries to be so independent! I ask him to feed the dog and he gets her bowl, pulls out the container of dog food, opens it up and scoops, then puts everything away again. Then he goes to wash his hands by pulling the stepstool out of the closet, turning it around the right way, washing, soaping, and drying, then putting everything away again. At the store he likes to push the cart and when you point out an object on the shelf, he loves to throw it in the cart.

The more independent he gets, though, the more room for tantrums. He has an ear-piercing screech / scream that just drives me insane. It makes my brain shut down.

His diet is also soooo bad. I mean, how many chicken nuggets can one kid eat? And while I offer vegetables at pretty much every meal (lunch and dinner, anyway) he never eats a bite. I'll ask the doc for advice at his 2 year WBV.

But other than that... he is just such a happy, sweet-natured little boy. His tantrums, while frustrating, are pretty short-lived and easily fixed. His favorite self-soothing activity when he's upset is to hold mama's hand.

The sound of his laughter just makes my heart melt. It's going to be sooooo hard to go back to work (I'm a teacher).

No plans for a bday celebration- I have to work full days that whole week and his regular daycare doesn't start until the end of the month, so we're cobbling care together with grandma. I don't even know where he'll be sleeping that night.

He's my love!! I've been really paranoid lately for some reason about horrible things happening to him- probably due to me going back to work. And the increase in bumps, bruises, and falls he's had since becoming so mobile. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to him.

Yay 2-year olds!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#10 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post

His diet is also soooo bad. I mean, how many chicken nuggets can one kid eat? And while I offer vegetables at pretty much every meal (lunch and dinner, anyway) he never eats a bite. I'll ask the doc for advice at his 2 year WBV.
I'm glad we're not the only ones having trouble with veggies. He gets so offended if I suggest he eat a vegetable. The only way I have been successful is to hide them pureed up in spaghetti sauce, because "sketties" are something I can almost always count on him eating. He's gotten better about fruit, but for a while he would hardly touch fresh fruit either. He still nurses like a little bear, so I try not to worry about his lack of green food too much at this point.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#11 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM

DS turned 2 on Thursday! He is just so much fun right now (minus the screaming). He loves to repeat what we say and even asks questions to himself "what color is this? (he answers himself), Red". He loves to play with letters and numbers and I'll hear him saying "where is G, oh there it is"...it is just soooo cute!

He is on an eating strike, but weighs 30lbs and 36" tall so I don't worry too much, he is obviously getting calories from somewhere.

He loves to draw right now. Sidewalk chaulk is fun and so is coloring. I've been working with him on making letters. He can almost make the letter "H" - sloppy, but he is working at it.

We have NOT started PL - DS has no interest in it and so we've decided to keep talking about it and start when there is an interest. Our DCP will start working with him too, so hopefully it won't be long. I would love to get out of diapers...although I'm getting pretty good at changing him while he stands up

Oh yeah - he is really into the Signing Times Video. We're up to volume 6 and he knows most of the signs. He doesn't really use them to communicate with us, but loves to do them for fun.

We are pretty set on just having him for right now. We may look at adoption down the road, but for now it's just the 3 of us.

Happy Two's Everyone!!!
#12 of 13 Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM

So glad I found this thread!
DD is officially 2 now and is trying to live up to the idea of them being terrible. Lots of "Mine!" and "NO!"
We have started potty learning and are doing great at home. Out of the house is another story.
She looks EXACTLY like I did at that age. People cannot tell our pictures apart.
I had to cut her bangs finally because they were poking her in the eye continually.
Marispel, mine is recognizing letters now, too. I am shocked by this because ds(6) has been so slow to pick up anything involving language. I'm pretty sure he was almost 4 before he recognized letters.
We are loving puzzles, counting, coloring, and shopping. I was such a tomboy growing up. How did my daughter get so girly? She loves purses and shoes and jewelry. Just nuts.

Oops gotta go, duty calls.
#13 of 13 Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

hi i'm still around too! Allison will be 2 on the 18th and we are expecting #2 at the end of January. the run-down: she has been an easy kid from day one and we are having the greatest time. she didn't walk or talk or do anything extra-early, but nowadays we get lots of comments about her being advanced for her age (to which i shrug my shoulders, thanks?) no potty training attempts yet. i am thrilled to hear her sing on-key (every so often). she is obsessed with fruit, yogurt, and any grilled meat. she is fabulous in public. i think she has been waving and smiling at everyone since she could sit up. still napping great, sleeping all night, loves helping me around the house, and looking at pictures of everyone she knows on facebook. we work the hardest on the need to be gentle with toys, friends, and mommy's face. as for me, i'm not exactly the crunchy mama i imagined 2 years ago, but have found our happy medium on everything, and feel i must be doing something right!! love to you ladies and your babes!!

Jenny

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page