May '09 - It's August! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
I've pretty much decided that leaves & wood chips are edible, but rocks are not.
that is so funny!

Miasmama- That pic was too cute! We had horses growing up and I really miss them. My parents had to auction two, and took the other two to south Dakota.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#32 of 56 Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Hey all!

Just checking in... we are down to one nap here most days, which has led to a later bedtime. Which is okay, because it mostly leads to a later wakeup in the morning!

We have had some major fussiness this week. Not sure what is going on (assuming molars??) but Olivia has been super clingy to me. It seems to come in waves with her. The past two days have been better, but at times I feel as though she's a bit in the high needs category. She can be quite intense, and demanding of me.

Speaking of, I think bedtime is nearing! I'll have to update more later!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#33 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Anyone deal with some sleep regression type stuff at 14 months? We are having a 3am party every night! She goes to sleep fine, gets up to nurse after several hours (fine) but then 2:30-3 rolls around and she's grunting, arching her back, staying latched on as long as possible and then waking up as soon as she unlatches (this is not typical). She often doesn't fully wake up, but cries out like she is uncomfortable. Could it be molars coming in? I can feel them mostly under the skin but poking through in several places.

Off to get more coffee!

#34 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM

JPI - I would suggest that it's teething or some other growth change, maybe growing pains. It will return back to normal.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#35 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 PM

absolutely teething Erin. Since Griffin got his last molar in about a month ago he has been sleeping great. As in all night most nights, with maybe one early morning nursing session. Its such a relief!! Although I know those eye teeth are not far behind!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#36 of 56 Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks mamas. We had one glorious night of great sleep and last night were back to restless/wakefulness. I do think it's teeth, I feel around in her mouth when she's asleep and I can feel multiple areas where teeth have broken through just a tiny bit. Top and bottom, left and right. It must be terribly painful! At least she's getting a nice long nap today!

#37 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Ack, we're in the sleep-regression club too! For more than a week now! Between 4 and 6 am it's a constant battle -- flopping, rolling, whining, crying, nursing incessantly. I can't take it much longer, but I don't know what to do. I can't figure out a gentle way to nightwean her that will allow anyone in the house to get any sleep. Plus, she has become more and more emphatic in her refusal to return to her crib after her first night-waking, so she's spending more & more time in our bed. She always sleeps at least part of the night with us, but it used to be just a few hours in the morning. Now, we're lucky if we get an hour or two without her!

DH is totally beside himself about it, and I don't blame him; he can't get back to sleep after she starts fussing at 4 am or so, so he's really sleep-deprived. Every night he says to me, "can she sleep in her own bed tonight???" But I do all the nighttime parenting, and I'm not about to argue with a screaming toddler at two in the morning, YKWIM?

How on earth do I get this squawking, flopping, whining, kicking small person OUT of my bed so I can get some sleep???

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#38 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Comtessa - what is with that two hour window? Ours is typically between 3-5. We have the crib in a sidecar position to the bed, so I think that helps get her back in her own space. At this point she sleeps in her crib from about 9pm until 1-2am, then nurses, then back to the crib. Then 3-3:30 rolls around and it's just as you describe. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, just commiserating!

The good news here is that her days have been great! Olivia has become quite a daddy's girl recently, which is uber cute. She's also totally into hand-holding (unless we're at the grocery store) and practically demands we walk around the house hand-in-hand. She's eating lots more and trying all sorts of different foods, always makes me feel a little proud when she dives into a curry or something like that! I didn't get too adventurous in what I ate until I was an adult.

She is also working on developing more words. She is such a curious girl with a sense of adventure. Minus the toddler parties in the middle of the night, I am really having fun with her.

She is doing great with redirection these days, and I feel like I'm really getting the hang of "discipline" (for lack of a better word... I guess it's more like redirection and teaching). DH struggles with Olivia's neediness sometimes, and I suppose it can be a bit overwhelming if you don't have the right mindset (as in he's quite tired from work or something). She likes to be involved in what you are doing all the time, likes to be held, etc. She has a lot of my personality, so it's easier for me to see her as sensitive and loving versus needy. DH's biggest pet peeve is when she throws food overboard from her highchair. I am still working on figuring out how to help sway her from doing that... although at this point I think she'll grow out of it before that happens

#39 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Greetings!

What we use is Gripe Water. There is an organic brand at Walgreens. When she starts fussing like that during the night whether it's teething or growing pains or tummy issues, we give her the 10 ml plus water and she slurps it down. That seems to work some times, but not all the time.

Trying out the share feature of shutterfly.

http://cheryllynn44.shutterfly.com/pictures/153

both hypnobabies births

#40 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Cheryl--I love those pictures! I keep wanting to post pictures, but I can't even get myself motivated to upload them from the camera, let alone put it on photobucket!

Oh, the sleeping. Our most recent sleep adventure is that he's gone from waking up at 9 am to waking up at 6 am. Over the course of one day. But I'm not going to complain too hard because at least he sleeps pretty well during the night. He still nurses before I go to bed, but then he usually sleeps until 5, comes to bed with us, and goes back to sleep for about an hour. 6 hours in my bed without a small person kicking and punching at me? Hey, I'll take it!

I've been wondering lately how much of our speech he understands. Of course, he understands things like "Do you want to eat?" or "Are you ready to go night-night?" but lately, he's been responding to things that I figured were way outside of his comprehension. A lot of times, when DH and I are talking to each other, Luke will say or do something that just makes me wonder whether he actually understood what we were saying. (I wish I could think of a concrete example right now!)

He put his first 2-word sentence together today. Of all the things in the world, he said "Bye-bye, Bug" to an ant as we were leaving the playground

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#41 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I've been wondering lately how much of our speech he understands. Of course, he understands things like "Do you want to eat?" or "Are you ready to go night-night?" but lately, he's been responding to things that I figured were way outside of his comprehension. A lot of times, when DH and I are talking to each other, Luke will say or do something that just makes me wonder whether he actually understood what we were saying. (I wish I could think of a concrete example right now!)
I swear they do! I was reading a magazine to Sirius the other day. He just wanted to sit on my lap, so I figured I could read out loud. There was some mention of a porta-potty and when I read over it he started signing "potty" and "shhhh"-ing I thought it was to cute!

He doesn't say much, just a few words that all kind of sound the same. I can't wait until he starts talking

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#42 of 56 Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I definitely have this feeling all the time. Sometimes I'll try her out on stuff to see how she responds. It's even weirder I think because she doesn't talk, but at this point she'll indicate or respond to things that I haven't actually taught her, that I guess she picks up on her own.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#43 of 56 Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
...she doesn't talk, but at this point she'll indicate or respond to things that I haven't actually taught her, that I guess she picks up on her own.
Olive does this too! Lately she's taken to hauling cloth napkins around the house. When I ask her, "what do you do with that napkin?" she'll wipe her mouth and hands with it. I'm sure I never taught her that; she just watches us use them at every meal! She'll head for her chair when I ask "Are you hungry?" Or if I even mention food. And if I say "potty" she'll pull at her diaper and head for the bathroom. We've had to start spelling the words "cookie," "ice cream," "playground," "walk," "stroller," "outside," and "bicycle," because if we SAY them and don't DO them she will pitch an astonishing temper tantrum. She understands a LOT! It's spooky!

She's also become obsessed with what we're wearing. The shoe thing I already talked about (I'm glad we're not the only ones!), but now it's other stuff, too. Socks, for one thing. And she points at our eyes when we aren't wearing our glasses and goes looking for them. And this morning, when I was getting dressed, she went and found my bra and handed it to me to put on. My little fashionista!

She's only saying a few words, but yesterday she added a new one. A motorcycle went by the house and she looked up, pointed out the window, and said, "Voom voom!" She was terrifically proud of herself. I suppose that isn't technically a new word, but I'll take it.

As for the middle-of-the-night toddler parties, I hadn't thought about using gripe water, but that might have helped last night. She was arching her back and flopping around and whining in discomfort for a couple of hours - but earlier, like 12 - 2 am. I finally got up and checked her diaper -- sure enough, she was struggling to poop that whole time (and then probably whining 'cause her diaper was dirty). Once I changed her and brought her back to bed, she slept the rest of the night (bliss!). I don't know how much gripe water can help, though. What does it do? Anything? I've considered using Tylenol for what appears to be teething pain, but again, I don't really want to give her medicine if I don't know what's wrong.

We're trying to figure out how to get her sleeping in her own bed at night, and sleeping through the night. I think it's possible, by now, but I'm not sure how to go about encouraging it. I'm comfortable night-weaning her now, but I'm not looking forward to it. DH wants to get her into her own bed first, then night-wean, but I think that we're not going to get her into her own bed until we night-wean, because if she's in her own bed first, she'll still be getting up in the middle of the night wanting to nurse, and then I'll get less sleep because I'm then going to be up for an hour nursing her, then convincing her to go back to sleep in her own bed. I explained this to DH and he didn't seem to see why that was a problem. (Probably because if I'm doing all this in her room, it means he gets more sleep.) I don't know what to do! But he is really getting tired of toddler-in-the-bed, and he's getting cranky about it. We have to do something.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#44 of 56 Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Comtessa-- yep, that's the kind of stuff Em does. And I'm ROTFL at your mention of the napkins, because Em has this weird thing with her cloth diapers-- she'll go to the clean stack of prefolds on the changing table shelf, and take them-- one at a time-- into the kitchen, then lay them out on the floor. If they are at all folded over, she'll pick them up and do it again to make sure they are flat. Then she'll go get another. I have no idea what is up with that, but it's kind of hilarious how focused she is in completely covering the kitchen floor with prefolds. Very ritualized.

Em is also way into clothes-- if you say an item like "pants" she'll go to every person in the room and touch their pants leg, then point to her own pants, etc. If I have a basket of clean laundry sitting on the floor, she'll find one of her shirts and bring it over to me wanting me to change her shirt and put the new one on. I have to hide her shoes or she wants me to take them off and put them on over and over and over again. And WHAT is up with bracelets? I am not a jewelry person, the only jewelry I wear EVER is my wedding rings. But my mom and my sister both wear some rings and some bracelets. I guess she got it from them, but ANYTHING she can put on her wrist is a bracelet and she is obsessed. Like those little link-able rings? She's all about putting those on her arms. She found some old shower-curtain rings that I had laying out while I was changing the bathroom around, and totally confiscated those to be bracelets. If she sees someone wearing a bracelet she just attacks and tries to take it from them and put it on. It's so weird.

Em is night-weaned and sleeping through the night well, 7 pm - 6 am, but not in her own bed yet-- which is making me panic because she is too light a sleeper to have her in the bed when the new baby comes. We'd been trying to get her in her bed, with no luck, when it dawned on me that it is too hot in there. We only have two A/C units, one in the living room and one in the bed room, and even with a fan blowing in the kids room it is noticably warmer. So I don't know what to do, maybe just wait a few weeks for summer to be over.

Looking forward to a new arrival pretty soon... hanging out right now at 2 cm, very effaced, at only 35+5 (but baby still kind of high, not engaged)... but since Em was a 36-weeker I didn't really expect to go overdue with this one either... supposedly I could go into labor at any time now, but it would be nice to have another 2-3 weeks to finish my to-do list.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#45 of 56 Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Kelly--Wow, I can't believe how close you are! I hope he stays in there for a couple more weeks for you though so you can do what you need to!

The clothes thing must be a phase right now because Luke is obsessed with what he wears. DH is usually the one who dresses him in the morning and every day, he asks Luke what he wants to wear & Luke will tell him what he wants on his shirt. Usually, he says "Croca" for crocodile, but sometimes, it's dog or fish. Luckily, he has lots of outfits with crocodiles, dogs, and fish on them, but the other day, he was absolutely certain he wanted a shirt with a flower That took some searching!

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#46 of 56 Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM

Was just looking for you all. haven't read only skimmed
M has cut a molar and is working on his second.
Kelly hold on a couple weeks baby!!
We put ds2 in a toddler bed (converted crib tbh) when M came. I spent the first month or 2 on the couch, with ds3 sleeping on me and ds2 slept in the bed with dh then he got transitioned to his bed.. he still crawls into our bed in the morning and wakes ds3

eta: they totally understand more than they're given credit for
ds3 is climbing now- knows how to follow simple commands (get the ball, bring the ball to me, get down! ) but chooses to pretend he doesn't sometimes

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#47 of 56 Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Super excited for you, Kelly!

I have two sick little ones today. DH brought home something from work on Friday. They started sounding stuffy last night and both were running a fever overnight, I gave them Motrin and Laine proceeded to sweat all over me until her fever broke and she finally fell asleep around 3. She's currently snoozing in my arms in the recliner and Liam is laying on the couch. I feel a little stuffy and drained so I don't think it's hitting me as hard, DH started feeling better yesterday.

Today is our wedding anniversary. I don't think we're going to do much, maybe order pick-up from Olive Garden. We have another military ball on Friday to go to, my MIL is flying down to watch the kids so I guess that will be our anniversary "date".

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#48 of 56 Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Katie - happy anniversary! Sorry you are all sick, what a bummer. Hopefully it'll pass quickly!

Kelly - how exciting, can't wait to hear your news!

Olivia understands A LOT as well. It's actually pretty amazing. She knows simple commands but the most recent (and cutest one!) has been when I say "I love you, Olivia" she gives me a kiss back!

We're still struggling a little in the sleep department. It's a bit better the past couple days, but her schedule is all over the place. I'm just trying to roll with it, hoping those teeth will come in soon. I'm beginning to feel teeth poked through in all four spots, but they seem a little forward for molars? Could it be eye-teeth before molars? If so... we probably have a while to go

#49 of 56 Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Hi All -

Comtessa - Gripe water is for colic, teething and restless babies. This link is what I buy and has a great description: http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku3908202

And homeopathics for teething:
http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php

I would stay away from any tylenol as it is hard on the liver.

I do believe that our babies understand a LOT more. My favorite still is when we suspect Olivia has something in her mouth all we have to do is put our hand by her chin and say Spit It Out, and if she has something it gets spit into our hand.

Her interpretation of 'Olivia come here' means turn around and run away from mommy as fast as she can.

Although when she was by the BBQ last night, both dh and I said in very stern voices Come Here and she did turn away from the grill and pranced back to the deck. Prance is a good term. She is so light on her feet she seems to skip across the ground like a stone across water.

We're heading to the state fair tomorrow and looking forward to seeing how she does there.

Kelly - Good luck ! Looking forward to hearing about the new baby.

Time is going by fast. In just a few days our group will start saying 16 months old.

both hypnobabies births

#50 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 AM

Goodness, I only just found this thread and it's the last day of August! Darcy has been keeping me busy for the last 3 months with a super fussy, super clingy phase that she *touch wood* just about seems to be coming out of. I'm seeing signs of my happy little soul coming back.

BREAKING NEWS: Darcy started walking a few days ago!!!!! Better late than never
She's not talking yet at all, except for Dada, but hopefully that will come soon also. Her big brother is a non-stop talker, so she doesn't get much of a chance to squeeze a word in while he's around.

She is also obsessed with shoes! Putting shoes on is the very first thing that has to happen after she wakes up in the morning, followed very closely by her morning nursing session (at least 2 times each side, sometimes 3). If she's in the middle of a tantrum and I say "Where's your shoes" she'll immediately stop tantrumming and start giggling and looking around for them. Socks are pretty funny too

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#51 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Hi everyone! I haven't gone looking for this thread in months; the summer has flown by for us.

I had to laugh at some of your descriptions of what your babes are up to, because they sound so much like the things Jake is doing. Like the ritualized laying out of the diapers; DS does a similar thing, only he is obsessed with STACKING everything.

DS is still not very verbal at all. He says mama, dada, da (that), nana (nurse) bababa (dog) meowmeow (cat), voom voom voom (car). Waves bye bye. That's about it really. He occasionally repeats words, but not often. DD was very verbal and was speaking in short phrases by this age, so it throws me for a loop sometimes. But his actions make it clear that he understands and is listening to everything we say. Like if we're visiting someone, and in passing I say to the person, "Well, I think we're going to hit the road soon," he will RUN to the door and grab his shoes. Cracks me up! I think part of it is picking up on my tone of voice to know that we're about to leave.

Mostly he is into pointing to communicate- points to the fridge and then to exactly what he wants, hands me his cup when he needs a refill, brings me a book to read, etc.

DS has actually slept through the night several times lately- yay! Last month sleep was horrible, as he was getting 4 canine teeth at the same time.

ETA: Mostly it's climbing and tantrums around here- those are the two big issues lately! Can't leave him alone for half a minute!

Good luck Kelly, with your very soon new little one!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#52 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
DS is still not very verbal at all. He says mama, dada, da (that), nana (nurse) bababa (dog) meowmeow (cat), voom voom voom (car). Waves bye bye. That's about it really. He occasionally repeats words, but not often. ...Mostly he is into pointing to communicate- points to the fridge and then to exactly what he wants, hands me his cup when he needs a refill, brings me a book to read, etc.
Olive is doing the same thing! She has very few words, too, but I know she understands everything, so I don't worry too much about her. Mom says she'll break into sentences without any warning some day soon.

We have big news in our world this week too: Here we go again...!!! (Not quite so soon as Kelly, but a bit sooner than we were expecting!!)

#53 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Kelly is a Mama X 2!!!!!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#54 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Congrats to Kelly!!!

And congrats to Comtessa, too!!! We've got a lot of good news on this thread today

And Peppermint, Yay for Darcy walking!

I can't believe it's the last day of August already. It was two years ago on this day that I got my BFP with Luke...how could it already be that long ago?!

I've spent the past 2 days tallying his words because I was curious and could never get an accurate count because I kept forgetting some of them. I wrote them all down so that I could put them in his baby book, too and it turns out he has 97. Yikes! We're at the point now, though, that I don't always understand him right away because so many of his words are mispronounced or shortened and I have to go through the whole mental list to figure out what he's trying to say. I'm starting to just enthusiastically say "Uh-huh!" when he points something out if I don't understand what he's saying.

Unfortunately, he's been having some tummy trouble for the past week-and-a-half and we can't figure out what it is. I'm inclined to think it's a food intolerance of some kind, but the only thing he's ever reacted to this way was cow's milk and he hasn't had any of that recently. We haven't introduced anything new to his diet, either, so I'm not sure what it could be.

We're going camping this weekend with DH's family--it'll be the first time for me and for Luke! I'm a bit nervous about it, but excited too.

#55 of 56 Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Congratulations Kelly!!!!! Awesome news. Enjoy those lovely new baby snuggles and long nursing sessions.

Comtessa - congratulations to you too!! Olive will be pleased to have a little sister or brother to play with in 9 months time

Novus - have fun camping. We love camping too, but haven't tried since DS was born (he's nearly 3 and a half now). I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Where is Luke sleeping while you're camping? I hope his tummy clears up before your trip.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#56 of 56 Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

New thread!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page