How much cow milk does your BF toddler drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All the advice I've gotten about giving cow's milk to toddlers assumes that they are no longer breastfed and treats the cow's milk as a necessary addition to their diet. But if your toddler is still breastfed, do you give her/him cow's milk too? And if so, how much? Are there good nutritional reasons to add cow's milk as a beverage at this point?

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
None; my kids won't drink it. Pedi just said to make sure I give them a multi vitamin.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM

DD loved cow milk by 18 mos or so, even though she BF till nearly age 3.

DS, however, is 15 mos, still BF, and hates cow milk. I have tried to get him to drink it for when I'm at work, since I no longer pump, but he won't drink it at all. I don't worry about it, as he loves other calcium foods (cheese, yogurt etc).

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM

We don't drink milk in our household, but we eat cheese and yogurt. So, I don't give dd milk and never will. That being said, if I did drink milk, I still wouldn't give it to a breastfeeding toddler. I figure why would I give her baby cow's milk when she's getting baby human milk?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM

None, DD does not like milk. She eats lots of cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. We also give a multivitamin.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM

None. DS is 18 months old and still breastfeeds pretty frequently. He does eat cheese and yogurt.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Milk is a treat here. If we're out and a drink comes with the kid's meal, then we pick milk to drink. I very rarely offer it to drink at home.

I suspect that one of my older kids needs more calcium. the other eats a ton of yogurt, and the youngest still nurses.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM

DD 18months has literally just started cow's milk and she is a total addict. We give it to her 1-2 times per day (we call daddy's milk so she doesn't confuse breastmilk, which we call mommy's milk, and cow's milk). We don't give her a ton maybe a couple of tablespoons and then she's ok. She's always really, really loved dairy, though, and is constantly asking for butter, cheese, and now milk.

I should say that we'd like for her to wean around 2 and she's a nursaholic. Nothing wrong with that but I'm getting very exhausted and am back at work so I need a break. We don't want her to wean totally right now but just cut back a bit and giving her cow's milk has helped with that. So... if you're happing with your nursing relationship, you probably don't need any but if you're like me and want to gently wean over time then it doesn't hurt to introduce it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM

A couple of ounces at day care, two days a week. Otherwise, none, she's just not interested at home. She eats lots of cheese and yogurt though. She does get a multi-vitamin.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
b12

none. DS sometimes eats yogurt and cheese. DD eats no dairy. ( she doesn´t eat much of anything besides BM)

DS(3/2008) DD(4/2009)

SAHM to DS (3/2008) and DD(4/2009)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS 26 months. Still breastfeeds. No cows milk and never will as we are vegan. No "alternative milks" either except occasionally from grandpa's cup.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

None. i'd give her milk if I could get my hands on raw, but otherwise even once she stops breastfeeding, I'm not comfortable giving her any cow's milk bought at the store.

She likes it though... she is allowed to taste almost anything we drink but I don't give her anything except water and my boobies for a real drink.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM

None. DD doesn't like it even though I've offered it to her several times. I like it though we if she wants it she has the opportunity to try again.

She's just starting to like cheese and she's hit or miss with yogurt.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM

None. Pediatrician said that's fine just make sure she has a healthy portion of yogurt/cheese throughout the day for Vitamin D and what not.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 PM

None. We don't drink it (I can't stand the taste). We have plain yogurt on occasion, and a variety of cheeses. We do daily Vit. D3 supplements and also eat lots of leafy greens from the garden for extra calcium.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No. It is unnessecary when they are nursing. Even my buy the apa-book peed agreed. Of course, it is such a rarity in her practice she looked it up .

I work full time and pumped/ frozen milk until around 19 months. We weaned shortly after I stopped pumping and wouldn't drink cow's milk. He did eat a super great diet at that age and ate a lot of plain yogurt instead.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 AM

My 30 mon DS nurses when he wants (well as long as I can find a semi-comfy spot to sit as he is heavy now )

He drinks cow milk when he wants to and it is usually anywhere between none-2 cups a day. He eats really well and I only supplement with D during the late fall-early spring.

I do try to give him a multi-vitamin but I forget

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 AM

My DD is 27 months. She typically gets vitamin enriched rice milk daily. No dairy in our diet yet.

Momma to one munchkin
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Almost none - though he does get yogurt and cheese as he likes. We'll have a "milk box" occasionally if we're out, like at Starbucks or something, but most often he has water or sometimes almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened) as a beverage.

He's also been taking a multivitamin and a Vit. D supplement (both gummies) since he turned two.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My older dd never liked cow's milk and has never had it. The one who is still a toddler still nurses but also likes cow's milk and has probably 8 oz a day. Or there abouts. I don't measure or worry about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Hardly any but she eats yoghurt like a crazy baby. She would eat 10 - 12 oz easily, though we don't have it that often. She doesn't like to drink much milk. I think she knows it's a replacement for nursing.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Wow, I'm surprised at all the none answers. Maybe it's b/c I work, but 16 month old DS has gotten used to and now loves cow milk. He gets about 6 oz right before his nap and another 6 oz in early evening time. My supply dropped when I stopped pumping so I feel good that he's getting another source of milk. We call it "leche," and mine is "milk." He also eats about 4 oz of yogurt and a good amount of cheese in the day. But he is a good eater of solids so gets a well rounded diet.

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM

We BF till 3 yrs and DS had very little cows milk. He did eat yogurt and cheese but very rarely drank milk. Now and then he will want some of the milk I use for my cappucino.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hmm, not a lot. Maybe a centimetre in the bottom of a glass, once a week or so. She has kefir a few times a week though, and yoghurt occasionally, and HEAPS of butter and cheese. (She's 2.5, still BF).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 AM

My LO is 14 mo old. What form and what multivitamin can I give her? This sounds off-topic (apologies) but there are so many moms here who are talking about giving their LOs' multivitamins that I thought to ask....
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsandfeet View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at all the none answers. Maybe it's b/c I work, but 16 month old DS has gotten used to and now loves cow milk. He gets about 6 oz right before his nap and another 6 oz in early evening time. My supply dropped when I stopped pumping so I feel good that he's getting another source of milk. We call it "leche," and mine is "milk." He also eats about 4 oz of yogurt and a good amount of cheese in the day. But he is a good eater of solids so gets a well rounded diet.
We did not push it because both boys reacted to milk proteins when they were younger infants (I was completely dairy and soy free for about 8 months until they 'got over it'). I did not give either of them dairy until after a year, and then we started with cheese and yogurt (proteins are broken down more than in straight cow's milk). By about 18m they did try drinking milk, but I was cautious about it. Even now (at 2y3m) my DS2 will get a little rashy around his mouth/cheeks if he has too much dairy (like 2+ servings in a day).

It's not really *necessary* for toddlers to be getting so much dairy, but it tends to be *easier* since they do have specific needs and alternatives like rice milk/almond milk aren't as fatty. If you are relying on one of those alternatives and you're not breastfeeding as much/at all, you'd need to make sure that the rest of his diet had higher fat foods as appropriate (good stuff like avocado, nuts - if not allergic, adding flaxseed oil to a smoothie, etc.).

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

I started giving 14 mo DS some because he saw me drinking it and was interested. He REALLY likes it. I'm only drinking it because I'm pregnant and I know my supply is way down, so I feel comfortable giving it to him. He also has a big appetite. He's probably drinking about 2 cups per day--a little less. He would drink more, but I don't let him!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Neither of my kids will drink milk. They'll have other dairy - yoghurt, cheese, etc. but they both dislike actually drinking milk.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM

DD is nearly 30 months and she drinks milk about half the time. Some days she will have none, but if she hasn't had any in a while or just has a taste for it, she'll ask for some. She probably drinks 4-6 oz when she wants it. She still nurses about 2 times a day, but hasn't had any expressed milk since she started refusing it at 11 months. I WOHM, and we did use milk a bit early on, but not as a staple... Now cheese on the other hand is a whole different story.

signature currently in transition
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM

None. We don't consume dairy. I am not comfortable giving her milk from another species when mama milk is available. She has had a little bit of coconut milk in a cup and liked it okay.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09

User Tag List