16 mo wanting to potty train? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16mo DS is very interested in using the Big Boy Potty....He sees his big sister go in and potty so i guess he thinks he should to. He looks at me and points to the potty and says pee pee. So i ask if he wants to use it and he says "yea"...He hasn't actually gone while on it but knows that is where to go. When he is in his diaper he will say uh-oh, then do the shiver pee and then say pee pee...So i think he knows right before he goes...anyway..is this a fluke? i heard boys were so much harder to train. DD was day trained by 2...or maybe a little over..Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? I don't know if i should pursue this or just leave it alone til he's older..
ugh
Thanks!!

blowkiss.gif

Man+Woman= <3

Result= Girl(9/20/07) and Boy(4/3/09)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedayMaybe3 View Post
My 16mo DS is very interested in using the Big Boy Potty....He sees his big sister go in and potty so i guess he thinks he should to. He looks at me and points to the potty and says pee pee. So i ask if he wants to use it and he says "yea"...He hasn't actually gone while on it but knows that is where to go. When he is in his diaper he will say uh-oh, then do the shiver pee and then say pee pee...So i think he knows right before he goes...anyway..is this a fluke? i heard boys were so much harder to train. DD was day trained by 2...or maybe a little over..Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? I don't know if i should pursue this or just leave it alone til he's older..
ugh
Thanks!!
My daughter (now turning 5) was potty learned at 18m old. It happened very quick (within like 3 weeks) and I really didn't push it. She was just ready to learn
If he is willing to sit on the potty let him sit on it. I would just start putting M on the potty when I went. We'd sing a song, read a book and when I was done, I would take her up and if she went we would get excited. If not, then nothing. After a week of that, I would start putting her on after she woke up, before her nap, after her nap, 20 min after lunch and then another time during the day, then after dinner and before bed. I would only sit here there for a minute or two and that was it.

Once she started peeing on the potty and she could hold herself and wake up dry from sleeping of a night time the diapers came off and we went straight into undies. She never had a diaper on again after that.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#3 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM

My ds has been using the potty during the day consistently since he was 18 months old. That is, as long as he's naked. If he's naked, he only needs a diaper for nap and bedtime otherwise we're good to go!
I figure that even if it is fleeting, who cares? We bought 3 cheap $4 Ikea potties and have put them all over our house (2 downstairs and one upstairs) so that there's always a potty for him to find in time. Go with it, there's certainly no harm and you don't have to "train" him... just have a potty and let him be free to use it or not.

#4 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM

I think a lot of babies are aware of going at this age, it is the diaper companies that say, "oh don't do anything until they're 3."

But gently take advantage of it--get potty books, have potties available in the house, and maybe try putting baby in a pant he can pull up and down. He'll have accidents, sure.

But seize the moment!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#5 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM

I agree - totally seize the moment If you are comfortable with it you can let him go diaper free and encourage him when he sits on the potty. Some LO's are just ready to train quick and easy. If he's very aware I would take advantage of it. You can set him on a little potty when big sister is on hers, or when you're on it He'll start to get the picture even if you're not officially doing "potty training" or "potty learning"

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#6 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM

My son was around 19 mo when he potty trained and it was super easy because he was so excited about doing it, as long as your guy wants to go for it!

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#7 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I think i will gear up and get him his own potty and maybe a book about going potty. I was just getting ready to order him some bumgenius 4.0 to add to my stash but i think i'm gonna hold off now. I'll let you know how it goes

blowkiss.gif

Man+Woman= <3

#8 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
tzs

my babe is only 10 months so my only potty training experience comes from working in a pre-school and having to deal with 3 year-olds in diapers....yuck... so i say go for it!!!! especially if your lo is showing it on his own. that's great for you guys and it at least merits some potty time just to check it out...no pressure style.

i was just reading (and i'll probably misquote but at least i'll get close) that in the past (60's? 70's?) over 90% of kids were trained by 2. nowadays it's rare to see anyone even starting by then. and apparently it's easier to do it early before they hit a really oppositional stage.

good luck! i can only hope for similar enthusiasm from mine.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#9 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
my babe is only 10 months so my only potty training experience comes from working in a pre-school and having to deal with 3 year-olds in diapers....yuck... so i say go for it!!!! especially if your lo is showing it on his own. that's great for you guys and it at least merits some potty time just to check it out...no pressure style.

i was just reading (and i'll probably misquote but at least i'll get close) that in the past (60's? 70's?) over 90% of kids were trained by 2. nowadays it's rare to see anyone even starting by then. and apparently it's easier to do it early before they hit a really oppositional stage.

good luck! i can only hope for similar enthusiasm from mine.
Interesting statistic. I wonder if at that time the roughly the same percentage of babes were in cloth diapers, as well....

All of my kids showed interest/ readiness for potty learning by 15 months.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Interesting statistic. I wonder if at that time the roughly the same percentage of babes were in cloth diapers, as well....

All of my kids showed interest/ readiness for potty learning by 15 months.

That is so interesting that u say that because ds is in cloth and i wondered if that was why he was showing interest so early...my aunt had told me that she had to put her kids in cloth because sposies were so expensive then...i think this has a lot to do with it

blowkiss.gif

Man+Woman= <3

#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 AM

moved to toddlers...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page