Snacks for a 12-month-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 12.5 months old and has a pretty healthy appetite. However, he has already gone from eating almost anything we offered him to becoming a bit picky with what and when he will eat (i.e., he might barely eat at lunch, but then act really hungry two hours later). I am fine with feeding him when he is hungry, of course (he is also still nursing).

I would be interested to hear what others feed their toddlers this age for snacks (we have mainly done BLW, but the fact that my husband and I don't always eat the healthiest diet makes "just feed him what you're eating" a problem sometimes). My son does enjoy: bananas, blueberries, cheese, and hummus for snacks (this is not an exhaustive list, but you get the idea...). He eats (or is offered) mainly what we eat for meals, and yogurt or cottage cheese (sometimes + fruit or dry cereal) for breakfast.

What relatively easy/quick, healthful, yummy snacks does your one-year-old eat?

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
mlh

How about...

avocado
small slices of apple
a carrot to chew on
boiled eggs
other fruit cut up...melon, strawberries
oatmeal

Also check out the books...Super Baby Food (good for baby food and toddler/kid food recipes) http://www.superbabyfood.com/

and Organically Raised http://www.organicallyraisedcookbook.com/

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#3 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Some favorites here are:

beans from a can (we like kidney beans) - rinse them, drain, sprinkle with a little sea salt, put them in a tiny tupperware container for on the go or so he can feel that pride of feeding himself - easy finger food

leftover cold noodles (again in the small tupperware)

black olives

green beans out of a can (again in small tupperware)

frozen peas

You said "my husband and I don't always eat the healthiest diet ". Can I encourage you to start shifting your eating habits now? Your son is going to learn from watching his parents and he is going to want to eat what you eat. Plus, it goes without saying that your son wants healthy parents, just like you want a health son!

Here is a great book to consider (eating healthy could be better than you think!):
Real Food: What to Eat and Why
by Nina Planck
#4 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Our little girl is quite an eater, she'll eat almost anything except mac&cheese (lol) ....don't know why.
Anyway, here's some of what we give her:

Fruit-usually cut up in a small bowl for portability-such as
peaches
nectarines
mandarin oranges (her fave)
bananas
watermelon
strawberries
papaya
mango
raspberries
blackberries
canteloupe

Veggies-mostly steamed or from a can. We often carry a small snack size bowl of them in her bag
sweet peas (another fave)
carrot dices
broccolli
corn
green beans
hominy
tomatoes
zucchini
squash

Meat-not really a snack, more of at mealtimes. But it could work...
ground beef
chicken (grilled & sliced)
pork (she really likes pulled pork)
brisket (loves it)

and some others:
Oatmeal
dry cereal
organic puffs
freeze dried yogurt snacks
yogurt (try it frozen too)
jell-o (occasionally)
dried fruit snacks (apple & strawberry are faves)
hummus (with fruit or crackers)
graham crackers
toddler fruit leather
cheese
cooked pasta (sometimes tossed with a little italian dressing, sometimes marinara)

there are lots more, but I hope that helps

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#5 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Organic raisins, whole grain crackers, whole grain baked corn chips, olives, fruit, Kashi's TLC Cereal Bars.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#6 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

We also did BLW. At about 1, DD started showing her extreme preference for any fruit. So for snacks she would eat:

Fruit of any sort, esp banana (a whole 1!), berries, mandarins, etc etc etc
frazen peas and corn still frozen
kashi crackers
cheese, especially brie
bread or toast with butter and vegemite
hummus
goat's cheese
yoghurt
raisins

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#7 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM

My go-to for my busy toddler for the past 4-5 months have been the PlumTots MishMash packs. He loves them, and he can carry it around and eat as he likes. Of course, my DS really only eats purées (texture issues with solids) and meats. DS is casein, gluten, soy, and nut free so we're quite limited by what he can have. He also loves rice crackers, and we keep lunch meat (from Whole Foods) in the fridge for DS too.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM

not a food suggestion but I have noticed that my toddler sometimes refuses a food one day but will eat it another day. So I'd suggest also reintroducing foods or the same food in a different way.
#9 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 PM

It's developmentally normal for children between the ages of 12 months and 3 years to be what we commonly call "picky" -- some speculate that it has something to do with needing to be careful about what they consume in order to stay safe. A less choosy child in the wild would potentially have a short life span.

That said, keep giving healthy foods over and over, and keep eating healthy foods yourself. It will "take". :-)

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#10 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 PM

At that age, DD loved any kind of fruit. Canned beans were also a favorite.

Dehydrated fruit is great for on the go. It isn't chewy, it is more dried out. We introduced raisins a little later I think.

Pita chips and oyster crackers are also huge in our house.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#11 of 12 Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.
Regarding my husband and I eating more healthfully, we are working on that and do pretty well (usually) with meals, but our snacks might include less healthy options or foods my son can't have yet (e.g., popcorn-- chocking hazard).

Regarding pickiness, I do realize that it's totally normal, and I do and will continue to offer him a variety of healthy options every day. Still, it was nice when he was happily EATING broccoli, peas, cauliflower, and beans (for example), rather than mostly refusing them/throwing them on the floor.

As some others mentioned about their LOs, mine does love fruit... especially bananas (I cut him off at 2 whole ones today... but that's the first time he's eaten THAT much banana) and blueberries. I will try to stock more variety of fruits in our fridge. He seems to have sensitivities to strawberries, tomatoes, and avocado (red mouth and/or bottom after eating them), so that limits us a little, but not much. He also loves cheese.

Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestions!
#12 of 12 Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
A less choosy child in the wild would potentially have a short life span.
Well, in the wild, my kid would already have done some serious brain damage from eating stuff, then. Good thing we have the nice lady at Poison Control, that's all I have to say. She said not to worry about the chunk of antiperspirant DD ate this morning. I do NOT have a picky eater. I have an indiscriminate eater!

That being said, DD doesn't sit still very long for meals, so most of her daily calories come from snacks "on the run." Here are some things she likes:
- pickled eggs (I pickle them a dozen at a time so they're always easy to grab and feed her)
- slices of cheese
- sliced or slivered almonds (small enough that they aren't a choking hazard - she loves these)
- popcorn, raisins and dried apricots (we only introduced these when we were sure she was ready to chew them)
- Goldfish crackers (these are a special treat)
- ice cubes (iknowiknowiknow. Not good for babies. But she does like them.)
- crackers
- frozen peas
- some canned foods, especially kidney beans and beets
- sliced apples
- blueberries and strawberries
- bits of bread with butter or peanut butter

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page