Snacks to keep in the car for your toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are trying to stay in a budget and eat healthier. So when we are out and the kids get hungry is not an option to stop to a restaurant or fast food.
I am trying to think in small snacks to have in the car for those time that we stay longer then what I was thinking and I can give them something to calm their hungry until we get home.
It has to be something that stays ok in this hot weather and for a 2 year old (my 12 year old would eat anything).
Thanks

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
#2 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I keep nuts (ok Cashews aren't really nuts...), dried fruit, and crackers in the vehicle. Be warned that it does get messy sometimes.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM

We keep Goldfish (well, Target's house brand called Chickadees) and Archer Farms (also Target house brand) strawberry fruit leathers (they're made with juice and such instead of sugar). Both have survived weeks in the car in the Florida heat.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#4 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM

We usually take a little tupperware of dried fruit (raisins, costco blueberries, apricots) and cheerios in the car for DS (19mos), and it survives the heat pretty well. I'm not thrilled about the sugar content, but it's a lifesaver when I need to reach back to give him something. I've also been known to feed him fig newtons - either the healthy version (like Newman's own) or the real thing, depending what's handy.

I make up for it at home by feeding him lots of beans, yogurt and okra (seriously, the only veggie he likes . I'd love to hear others' (healthier) on-the-go foods.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#5 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM

I keep almonds and dried fruit in my bag. Mostly they're for me, though. But it helps to have something if one of the kids is hungry.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Various companies make basically purees in little foil pouches. We usually buy the Trader Joe's ones, which they call Crushers. I've also seen them at Babies R Us and Whole Foods. They probably have them at regular supermarkets too.

My kids love them and consider them a huge treat. And they're very portable, keep for as long as stuff vacuum packed in foil pouches keep (a long time), don't require refrigeration, make no mess (as long as you don't squirt them) and require no cleanup. I always keep a few in my diaper bag for snack emergencies. They're also good for quenching thirst if I don't have any drink handy.

Here is what the Plum Organic ones look like, which I've seen at Whole Foods. They have a separate baby food and toddler food line, but there's no difference that I can tell. The Trader Joe's ones only come in applesauce and apple-carrot, but they're much cheaper than any of the other brands. I believe you can buy a few different brands on Amazon, too.

Basically, they are just baby food fruit and veggie purees, packaged as snack foods for toddlers.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#7 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 PM

keep em coming! i could really use this:0 I never thought of the plum organics for toddlers..I've got a 3 hour drive tomorrow and am def. going to go get some of those..The only thing i have to contribute is pretzels..lol

blowkiss.gif

Man+Woman= <3

Result= Girl(9/20/07) and Boy(4/3/09)

#8 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM

I ALWAYS keep homemade Larabars in my bag (for me and DD). You could also just buy Larabars, but at over $1 a piece, it starts to add up.
I make a big batch every week in the food processor. They are Unprocessed - Raw - Non-GMO - Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Soy Free - Vegan - Kosher. The ingredients are simple: dates, various nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), and dried fruit. Here is an instructional link for making them at home:
http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.c...rs-part-3.html

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#9 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
Various companies make basically purees in little foil pouches. We usually buy the Trader Joe's ones, which they call Crushers. I've also seen them at Babies R Us and Whole Foods. They probably have them at regular supermarkets too.
Oh yeahh! I give those to my kid sometimes (they do add up, lol) but I never thought on using them for car snack.

#10 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post
I ALWAYS keep homemade Larabars in my bag (for me and DD). You could also just buy Larabars, but at over $1 a piece, it starts to add up.
I make a big batch every week in the food processor. They are Unprocessed - Raw - Non-GMO - Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Soy Free - Vegan - Kosher. The ingredients are simple: dates, various nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), and dried fruit. Here is an instructional link for making them at home:
http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.c...rs-part-3.html
Thanks for the website and those bars look yummy!

#11 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM

We have a snack pouch in the car it usually has: fruit leathers, raisens, freeze dried fruit (costco sells them), peanuts, and sometimes dry cereal, pretzles. If we know we are out and about and ds will need something we pack a small cooler and freeze yogurt tubes and a juice box for him too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page