teething: eruption cyst ... help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all ... my little one is a very late teether. She is almost 19 months old and has only four and a half teeth, all very hard-earned. She was miserable yesterday, which made sense when I explored her gums and discovered a mushy cyst about the size of a standard marble along her gum, where she's been working on a tooth there.

I looked it up on-line (so not very helpful) and discovered that it's likely an eruption cysts, fluid/blood filled that will resolve when the tooth breaks through.

She doesn't have a fever, but is telling me, "Owie, tooth hurts ... mouth owie, mama!"

Does anyone have any experience with these? It's not the usual bump, but much larger and obviously fluid filled.

Internet says not to rupture it, which makes sense being that that would increase chance of infection.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these? We're going camping this weekend and I don't want her to be any more uncomfortable than need be.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#2 of 4 Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Willa had some in the back, but not that big. She enjoyed chewing on frozen washcloths. I would dampen and freeze 4-5 and rotate them out. Hope it pops thru soon!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#3 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bubby gets these with all of his molars.

I usually give him something cold to drink when he complains about them.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has one too.  His is not nearly as big as your childs but he is in a lot of pain as well.  I was reading a lot about it online which is completely useless and it says it doesnt hurt.  My childs pediatrician said that they are usually more cranky than usual because of it.  And I do believe that.  He has been crying morning, noon, and night.  So what I have been doing to get him through it has been a rotation of Motrin 2x a day and teething tablets. I have also been giving him frozen teething rings and you can even give your child frozen fruit because she is older.  I just try to keep him as comfortable as possible.  Teething is rough and what makes my son feel better and calm him down is when I cuddle with him.  Although I dont have all day to cuddle him, I still try to do it for like an hour.  I hope your daughter gets better. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page