do you give your toddler coffee? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: do you give your toddler coffee?
yes! 63 22.74%
no! 214 77.26%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
My DD loves to steal sips from my mug. So now I make her own "coffee" every morning. Its Caf-Lib (roasted barely and chicory hot beverage) with lots of milk. She slams one back every morning. There is no real coffee in it but it has the same roasted flavour that coffee does. She calls it "cuppee".
THat's a great idea! My DS1 loves coffee, he would probably like that too!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#62 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
does she wear a baltic amber necklace/bracelet? i ask because i get migraines & headaches and the amber helps me the most. also my dd 8 has not had any since she has been wearing her necklace.
No she doesn't, but it is certainly something to try. She had another this morning. Though I skipped the coffee this morning because hubby's not home to make it while I sit with her. Instead I just gave her a massage through most of it.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#63 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM

I've given my 17 month old a few sips of (black) coffee here and there when I am drinking and he's shown interest. Surprisingly, he really likes it, so I try not to drink it around him much. But I've also given him a sip or two of wine or beer if I'm drinking it. Obviously I wouldn't encourage it, and I don't offer, he asks, but I don't think a sip here or there is terrible.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#64 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 PM

DD is 5, so not really a toddler, but I do share a bit of coffee/cappucino or whatever with her. We're Italian and it's not uncommon, at least, not in our family. I had espresso and lattes from a pretty young age (not to mention a bit of alcohol- in fact, mixing Sambuca into the espresso was par for the course). I'm not going to let her take down a whole cup anytime soon but I do share, especially my melted iced coffees that are mostly water, cream and sugar in the bottom. If anything, I've seen a marked improvement with language skills after she's pepped up with caffeine (she has special needs). Never enough to cause trouble with sleeping or anything like that. I'd say she has a few sips of coffee 2-3 times a week, if that.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#65 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM

WOW! My aunt gives toddlers coffee and tea and my jaw hit the floor when I found out. They are all really tall. Still. I'd never heard of it. I gave both my kids a sip so they would stop asking (I drink it black or with milk, no sugar)... sadly, with DD2 loved it and now I have to keep it all up high.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#66 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Depends on the age. I consider my 2 yo a toddler and I'll let her take a tiny sip of my half coffee/half milk I make for myself on rare occasions. Not much different than hot chocolate with caffeine intake, IMO.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#67 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
since my dd was 3 months old she is allowed a 'pinky dip' of everything i drink. alcohol, soda, mizo ANYTHING. taste is a VERY important sense for my dd. even today. as a child she would even taste lotion and my lipsticks.

now that she is almost 8 she gets tiny sips of coffee.

however from what 4 or 5 she got lots of milky coffee. a pinch of instant coffee in her milk with sugar. that's coz i didnt drink coffee then. but today i do - not for the caffiene but for the taste. i love the bitter taste of coffee with milk and sugar in it. couldnt drink it straight. neither can dd drink it straight. i gave her a sip when she was 4 and she has refused it ever since.

i have never stopped her from having tea though. black tea with milk and sugar. i used to make tea and share a cup with her too. or chai. since she was what 4 or 5. she would love to have her own cup but never drink beyond a quarter cup or so.

dd loooooooooooves chai, ginger tea, thai iced tea, 'good' coffee with tonnes of milk and sugar (yeah she rejects bad coffee ) and 'good' whiskey (looooooooves Laphroaig but hates JD). her personal favourite though is peppermint tea with coconut milk, soy milk and honey in it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#68 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
I voted yes, but I feel I must explain my yes. I give my preschooler coffee because she gets migraines. We are experimenting to see if caffeine helps when she's having one.

But otherwise my kids don't get coffee. Of course, I'm not a big coffee drinker myself. When we started the experiment I actually had to run to Starbucks for a coffee (I do now have some in the house).
I'm not trying to give you unsolicited advice, but in addition to caffeine, have you tried taking your dd to a chiropractor? My dh had horrible, debilitating migraines until he started going to the chiro. He doesn't get them anymore unless we get lazy about adjustments. It's been a miracle for us!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#69 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM

I don't drink coffee, ever. So it never came up. I think my answer would be "no" though. I'm not about anything that may make my kids more crazy. Decaf would be fine I guess, but I don't think my dd would even like it anyways.

Alcohol on the gums was no big deal for me during teething though.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#70 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM

I have always given my children coffee with lots of milk when they've asked for it. We drink coffee all day long though, so it's kind of normal in my house.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#71 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM

I do but I drink decaf at home so the caffeine is not a concern. What I usually do is fill a cup 2/3 milk, 1/3 coffee, no sugar. He drinks about half of it; it's really more of a flavored milk.
#72 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM

No, I don't give my toddler coffee, and no, I don't give DD1 coffee either. However, DD1 was constantly stealing my coffee when she was a toddler. She knew it wasn't for her, and I really tried to prevent it, but she did manage sips of my coffee here and there - mostly ice coffee and frapuccinos I was drinking with a straw.

DD2 (only 12 months) is already trying to get at my coffee as well (I think it's the shiny silver thermos cup I drink it out of). I won't be surprised if she manages a few sips over the years too.

However, it will be a long long time before I would hand my DDs coffee.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#73 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
My DD loves to steal sips from my mug. So now I make her own "coffee" every morning. Its Caf-Lib (roasted barely and chicory hot beverage) with lots of milk. She slams one back every morning. There is no real coffee in it but it has the same roasted flavour that coffee does. She calls it "cuppee".

THat's a great idea! My DS1 loves coffee, he would probably like that too!
My DD really likes it. Its our own special morning ritual. We both drink our cuppee together.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#74 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I'll let her take a tiny sip of my half coffee/half milk I make for myself on rare occasions. Not much different than hot chocolate with caffeine intake, IMO.
i've seen a few other people say this as well.
are we comparing a sip of coffee to a cup of hot chocolate? sip for sip?
FWIW the average cup of hot cocoa has 5mg of caffeine. the average cup of drip coffee has 115mg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
But what about me? If it came up, I would let dd have a sip, but it never comes up.

I would but I don't, y'see?
so if you would, then yes.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#75 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 PM

I don't know when I would let my dd have a taste of my coffee so I didn't vote, but I didn't see anyone address the idea that the foam from a cappuccino is basically warm milk and isn't really the same as a toddler drinking coffee.
#76 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 PM

I would not let a child drink caffeinated coffee. I drink water process decaf, fair trade, organic coffee occasionally. Dd2 must have been a coffee hound in her last life because she went crazy at the sight of a mug as early as 8 mo. I sweeten mine with unprocessed raw sugar and lighten it with homemade almond milk or So Delicious coconut milk (no dairy here). So yes, she drinks my kind of coffee and loves it. So does dd1 now too. I would not allow them to have any other type of coffee though, I feel the same way about mainstream soda. It is not good for anyone to ingest it IMO.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#77 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Hmmm... I voted "no", but I guess it should have been "yes". DS has had two sips of coffee in his life. He was throwing a tantrum over it once, so I let him have a sip, expecting him to hate it, and he LOVED it and asked for another sip. I thought he was just being silly, so I let him have a second, and then I had a tantrum on my hands about the fact that he couldn't have his own cup of coffee. No more coffee since then at all.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#78 of 124 Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
I would not let a child drink caffeinated coffee. I drink water process decaf, fair trade, organic coffee occasionally. Dd2 must have been a coffee hound in her last life because she went crazy at the sight of a mug as early as 8 mo. I sweeten mine with unprocessed raw sugar and lighten it with homemade almond milk or So Delicious coconut milk (no dairy here). So yes, she drinks my kind of coffee and loves it. So does dd1 now too. I would not allow them to have any other type of coffee though and find that abusive without meaning to be towards children. But I feel the same way about mainstream soda. It is not good for anyone to ingest it IMO.

So, do you consider letting children eat chocolate abusive, too?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#79 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM

We aren't a coffee drinking family, so no they don't have it. But they do get hot tea, iced tea(maybe a few times a year when I want some) and they also have chocolate and candy as well as a few sips of caffeinated soda every now and again. If I drank coffee, I would have no problem with them drinking it.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#80 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 AM

I just want to point out that while chocolate does contain caffeine, the amounts are not comparable to coffee in any way. Chocolate milk and solid milk-chocolate have very small amounts of caffeine... comparable to decaffeinated coffee (which has around 5mg.) Dark chocolate has a higher caffeine content at around 20mgs (per ounce.) But IME, most people don't regularly offer their children dark chocolate, as the taste is often too strong for younger palates... and, in any case, the caffeine content is still FAR less than regular home-brewed coffee.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#81 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 AM

I have given my 15mo DS a sip or two of iced coffee, but generally deny the request.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#82 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i guess i'm odd ball out, but i would definitely never let my 2 yr old have coffee, and not for a very long time. i know all the research might say coffee is not all that bad, but i cant imagine that it helps nourish a growing body. i dont even believe it is good for me, especially when im making babies and nursing. i just tell my ds that its not good for big boys and its only for mommy and daddy. same response goes for alcohol of any sort.
#83 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Every morning my 3 yo has two cups of coffee. I make it with a tbsp of coffee, a little sugar, and 10 oz of warm milk. Barely enough to taste, but she loves it. My 1.5 yo twin boys can't do much milk, so they get herbal tea with honey and a splash of milk. My 12 yo son has had coffe almost everyday since he was 2 yo.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#84 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Dark chocolate has a higher caffeine content at around 20mgs (per ounce.) But IME, most people don't regularly offer their children dark chocolate, as the taste is often too strong for younger palates... and, in any case, the caffeine content is still FAR less than regular home-brewed coffee.
That's funny, in my circle of friends fair-trade, organic dark chocolate bars are the standard, and the kids looooove them...except the one kid who hates all kinds of chocolate, so she gets the job of handing it out (one bar gets shared around).
#85 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
I just want to point out that while chocolate does contain caffeine, the amounts are not comparable to coffee in any way. Chocolate milk and solid milk-chocolate have very small amounts of caffeine... comparable to decaffeinated coffee (which has around 5mg.) Dark chocolate has a higher caffeine content at around 20mgs (per ounce.) But IME, most people don't regularly offer their children dark chocolate, as the taste is often too strong for younger palates... and, in any case, the caffeine content is still FAR less than regular home-brewed coffee.
My kids love 70% dark chocolate, especially my 4 year old. She has a small serving (2 blocks of a 24 block 3.5 ounce bar, so like .15 ounces?) several times a week. My toddler only gets some if he asks which is only every so often. Most people here who let their toddlers drink coffee are talking about only giving them what amounts to a few sips. The caffeine amount in both cases is pretty negligible and not something I would worry about.
#86 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids are hyper enough without caffeine. No judgment about anyone who does, but I don't want to deal with that kind of thing.
#87 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

I have been giving DD "babytea" since she was a year old - that is warm milk with an already-used for my tea teabag swirled briefly in it. I almost always drink decaff tea and coffee, but on the odd occasion i have the "real" version i would still make her a babytea with it. I don't consider giving a kid the foam off a cappuccino "letting them drink coffee" since the foam is made of milk and coated with chocolate and if it's been made right there should be no coffee in the foam. I let my DD eat the foam, she's sipped coffee but she doesn't ask for it ever.

I WOULD give her a sip of alcoholic beverage if she asked (i drink probably 3x a year though), and there's probably more alcohol in the odd dose of Rescue Remedy i give her than in those sips. I'm in Scotland, maybe we're more relaxed about it here?

I wouldn't brew my DD a whole cup of normal strength tea or coffee, but a sip here or there? Sure. Nothing is "banned" for DD unless it's "banned" for us all.
#88 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd give my older dd just a sip if she wanted, but not my toddler. She doesn't understand "just a sip". She'd want to drink it all and so a sip would turn into a tantrum or a hyped up toddler.
#89 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Another vote for "no coffee just like no alcohol". I go to great lengths to give my kids a healthy diet all around - why would coffee be any different? While coffee isn't necessarily "bad", as someone else said, if it's not great for growing babies and nursing, then why would I give it to my LO when they're still really young? Not even to mention the whole "why give them more energy than they already have!"

I do understand that different cultures, different households, do differently and I'm NOT suggesting there's a general "wrong" or "right". Just saying that for me, it would be incosistent to give a toddler any coffee when it's not part of a healthy diet for a toddler and it's something we're supposed to keep under control when we're pregnant and nursing.

My mom did start letting me sip things she was drinking if I asked at about 6 or 7 yrs old, so I'll probably do that with my kids too. But toddler age is just too young for me in my household.
#90 of 124 Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
Caffeine actually has a calming effect on my oldest DD (who is no longer a toddler at 6.5yo!). In small amounts obviously. I don't allow her caffeinated soda (generally, no soda at all, but if it's a treat, no caffeine) but when she was a toddler I'd allow her very weak coffee with more milk than coffee. It calms her, go figure, which happens to be the same effect it has on me.
I voted no, but my SIL's second child (who's now 20!) drank coffee every morning from a young age. He had ADD-type issues and they found that coffee helped settle him down for school.

For me, coffee is one thing that I don't have to share with anyone. And DD's still young enough to be discouraged by "HOT!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page