Ack! Holding food in the mouth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me this phase passes VERY quickly? My almost 2 year old has a sudden interest in holding a chewed up bite of food in his mouth forever. He will.not.swallow.it.

It won't really happen so much at meals when he is pretty hungry but more at snack times. He just holds this nasty wad of blech in until I can't take it anymore and make him spit it out and then he gets mad at me .

Today he started choking from holding it so long and probably tried to breathe, it scared me . Of course when he started coughing and sputtering, chewed up cookie went flying all over me.

What to do? Ignore?

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
Please tell me this phase passes VERY quickly? My almost 2 year old has a sudden interest in holding a chewed up bite of food in his mouth forever. He will.not.swallow.it.

It won't really happen so much at meals when he is pretty hungry but more at snack times. He just holds this nasty wad of blech in until I can't take it anymore and make him spit it out and then he gets mad at me .

Today he started choking from holding it so long and probably tried to breathe, it scared me . Of course when he started coughing and sputtering, chewed up cookie went flying all over me.

What to do? Ignore?
Lol, yes, It will pass. My daughter ditto.
I was giving my baby peas and beans with meat. I was surprised she was eating without complains because she doesn't like veggies, but slowly her cheeks start growing!
I have the feeling it was for the peas so I keep feeding her thinking eventually she will have to eat what she has, but her cheeks just got huge, so I decide to start all over again.
She spit and we start but this time I only gave her peas, and she didn't refuse (first time ever!) but she just keep saving them on her cheeks, I try give her water so that they will "swim" through but nope.
Then I try give her one of each one, well what you know she actually eat the bean and the meet but not the pea!
I must say I am very surprise for this new "trick"
I was worry that she would do this with each meal but she didn't, she did this a couple times but then stop on her own.
Good luck with your chipmunk, lol

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
My son only did this for a few days while he was sick. I didn't get it at first, but later when I realized he had a sinus infection, I figured it out.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

The weird thing is, he doesn't seem to be doing it for any food dislike. He's not sick either. He's doing this with foods he likes, a cookie! Maybe one of those toddler control things?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Maybe he wants to savor the taste!! I still hold food in my mouth a long time when it's something I really like!! I don't think it's something I'd worry about -- DS has always done this & I hardly notice, I'm not sure I understand why your DS chokes on it though, that might be an issue! My DS doesn't choke on it. Maybe you could institute some kind of "swallow your food before you leave the table" type of rule??

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

My son went through a phase of that, most of the time is was snacks and he would almost hold the food in his mouth for the whole day. When we tried to get him to spit it out or eat it it turned in to a big tantrum. So if it didn't look like it was dangerous at the time we just let him be.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 PM

yes, Ds does this ALL the time. It started around 2yrs old and he has FINALLY stopped (well most of the time) doing it. He'll be 3 next month.

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Maybe he wants to savor the taste!! I still hold food in my mouth a long time when it's something I really like!! I don't think it's something I'd worry about -- DS has always done this & I hardly notice, I'm not sure I understand why your DS chokes on it though, that might be an issue! My DS doesn't choke on it. Maybe you could institute some kind of "swallow your food before you leave the table" type of rule??
He choked on it yesterday because he had taken way too much in his mouth in the first place . He sometimes does that and I have to remind him not to. So then he had too much food and held it, I guess it was overwhelming him and he probably tried to cough or breathe and he started sputtering. Not fun getting a chewed up cookie shower

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM

yuck! although 'cookie shower' has a cool ring to it

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM

My daughter does this, I think because she thinks it's funny. She also thinks it's funny to nurse right after eating, and leave food gunk on my nipple. Totally gross, and I hope she outgrows it soon! She's 18 months.

User Tag List