How to put 1 year old down for nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been 14 months since our second son was born and I still have not figured much out. It takes me forever to get him down for a nap (when I can). When my 4 year old son (who we think has Sensory Processing Disorder) is home (which is most of the time) I have an even harder time getting him down to nap. I have to put the 4 year old in front of the tv (and even then he doesn't cooperate most of the time, because he demands constant interaction with another person), so I have a very short window of time to try to get him down.
I am losing my mind because my toddler is not getting the naps that he needs and I'm not getting any quiet time with my 4 year old. I feel like such an idiot because I have not figured anything out yet. Any advice is welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I only have my DS (19 months) so I don't have any experience with an older sibling interfering with naps. But, here are my thoughts:

Is he tired? My DS always seems to be tired for his naps as long as I wait until at least noon (after lunch). If I try earlier than that he won't actually fall asleep and it will mess everything up for later. He only has one nap a day and has since he was about 12 months.

Do you nurse? DS always nurses to sleep for naps, I think because he's so tired. Bedtime is a whole other story, unfortunately!

Family bed? I have this (possibly naive) image of a you laying down with the 1 yo, while the 4 yo snuggles/looks at books/other quiet activity next to you. It can be your family 'quiet hour' but at least the 4 yo gets to stay with you. Maybe it would work?

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS always nursed to sleep at that age. I didn't realize it but it is so much easier than anything-else. 12m DD nurses and then gets bounced on an excercise ball while she is in the ergo. She also takes a pacifier. It takes about ten minutes if she is tired. I have no idea how much longer this will work but I don't change things in my kids life if they are working.

She really, really needs two naps a day otherwise she wakes up for at least two hours during the nap. Two naps plus a later bedtime means she can nurse in the night but not really wake up.

Older DS sometimes interrupts and sometimes doesn't. Generally doesn't, espcially if he likes what he is playing with + knows he will get direct attention when we are done. Doesn't watch tv.

User Tag List