Books and 3 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you reading to your 3 year old? DD is having a birthday soon and I'd like to get her a few new books. We have a huge collection of board books but I'm thinking she might be ready for something a little more advanced. She loves books and has a great attention span for reading with or without us. Maybe something that could really get her imagination going? She does a lot of pretending these days.

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Dd has enjoyed the Little Bear books and the Magic Schoolbus books. Some of her old favorites are "We are going on a Bear Hunt", Ticki Ticki Tembo, and anything by Dr. Seuss.

We usually just go the library and pick out a bunch of books, so I have trouble remembering all the names, lol! Will be watching this thread for ideas though

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM

We love anything by Audrey Wood. The Napping House, King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, and The Flying Dragon Room are all books that were worth buying to keep for us. :-)

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#4 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM

mamaluvs- You were so sweet to take the time to share your opinion re: area midwives so I checked out your posts to find out if I could help you and - voila! My children & I love to snuggle up together to read and some of their favorites are Russell Hoban's "Frances" books, and anything by Maurice Sendak, Tomie dePaola, or Pat Hutchins. Happy Birthday to your little one!
#5 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM

DS adores anything Dr. Seuss, lots of Bearnstein Bears books, and has started to really like Magic Schoolbus books. At the library he often picks out non fiction books, which is a good reminder for me since I wouldn't think to pick those up.

He's also now into longer books, we pick up Stage 3 readers at the library, they are mini chapter books with about four pages per chapter. I'm surprised he goes for them because they don't have pictures on every page, but he really likes getting to hear a more complex story.

I think we are going to try some more chapter books soon, this kid is a serious book worm.
#6 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 PM

For DS' third birthday, I got the original A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh book. He wanted the first chapter read to him every night for several weeks, and has pretty much memorized the first two pages or more. Sometimes we could read a second chapter (varying depending in part on his interests and what we thought he might like).

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#7 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm going to be lazy and not put links:
The Sissy Duckling
Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
Yuck! That's Not a Monster
Chicken Big
Millions of Cats
Tikki Tikki Tembo
The Clown of God

That's what I'm getting off the top of my head. We love Dr. Seuss, we are also reading classic Pooh one chapter at a time. We have lots more books, but these are the ones that are well written and interesting and I don't want to shoot myself.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#8 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All of Virginia Lee Burton
Most of the longer Seuss like Horton, Lorax, Sleep book, etc
All of Frog and toad
Elsa burke peles new suit
Nonfiction early readers from the library
The hardcover cat in the hat science library that was recently published, but not the softcover versions, based on the scripts
Make way for ducklings
Grame baese
Longer Eric caryle
#9 of 12 Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 PM

My son loves If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... that whole series
#10 of 12 Old 10-03-2010, 08:18 PM

My dd loves Tin tin comic books, Owly, Little Bear, Fancy Nancy, Dr. Seuss, Richard Scary, all the 1 million things books, Science Verse... She loves books.

Why not take a trip to the library and read a bunch of different books, and see what your little one likes? We have over 40 books out from our library right now...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 AM
mbm

DD's current obsessions are Bread and Jam for Frances, Madeline, The Gruffalo (and The Gruffalo's Child), and Pancakes, Pancakes by Eric Carle.

She's got a birthday coming up too, so I am very interested in this thread!
#12 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm subbing for future reference. Great suggestions!

student momma to two great girls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page