September 2009 Moms and Toddlers! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 455 Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jordan - sorry to hear that you and dh are splitting, but glad tht it is amicable.

Strong Feather - we had some early success with the potty here, but nothing in months.  We have 2 - one upstairs and one down. The one upstairs, Viv likes to put toys in in and then sits on top of the toys. LOL.  The one downstairs is a place for her to sit (with the lid down) when she's in the bathroom with me.  I'm realy not pushing in that direction.  They are there.  We are letting her get familiar with them so that when she is ready they won't be scary to her.

Viv has been the least predictable of my babies.  She doesn't take a consistent nap.  She'll eat just about anything (loves mashed potatoes, sour cream and toast).  Ds and dd1 were great about naps and not so great about dietary variety.  She understands most everything that we say to her, but isn't saying many words (mama, dada, ball, num-num, yum, yes, Dmitri).  I love that ds and dd1 can make her laugh.  The best part lately is how excited and happy she is to see me or dh when we come home from being gone. 

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#362 of 455 Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Jordan, sorry about the break-up. Glad it's as smooth as possible, though. I have potties and haven't even taken them out yet. With my first, she'd already used the potty by now, and was aware when she was going, etc. but she many ups and downs with it. I'd think we were getting somewhere and then wonder why I even bothered. I remember trying naked time when it was warm enough and just ended up cleaning pee over and over and over. She pee' every 15 minutes at that point. She wasn't ready to go without pull-ups/diapers until just after she turned 3. And not at night until this year. So, I haven't even considered it this time around. It sure would be nice to be done with diapers, but I know with my friends who were honest about it, most of their kids were a 3-3.5 when they were fully potty trained, so I've been trying to just ignore it for a while.

My LO talks all of the time too. Full conversations, and she really lets you know exactly what she wants/thinks even without words I can understand. She also has other words that I can make out. She started repeating a ton of words lately.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#363 of 455 Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Jordan - Sorry to hear about you and your partner.  I'm sure it's stressful, even if it's amicable.  It's good that you have incorporated a positive change for Rowan into the mix.  I wish I could bring Ethan to bed for snuggles, but he just gets too excited and crawls all over me.  Occasionally we can bring him to bed after he gets up for his bottle, but even then it's hit-and-miss, and he wakes earlier and more often.  I miss co-sleeping for part of the night!

Ethan's vocabulary has really expanded in the past week or so.  He now says "dee" for kitty, "mom", "dad", "Bah" for Bach (our dog), "Bapa" for Papa, "boom" when he falls down, "bwoom" for broom, "aach" for water (??), "baal" for bottle, "apple", "nigh-nigh" for night-night, "bye", "hi", "num-num", "ball", "baash" for brush, "no", "nose", "eye", "ewww" for ear, "scheez" for cheese, "shuuz" for shoes, "hot", "book", "up", "open", and I'm sure there's a few others I haven't remembered.  He also tries to imitate a lot of what we say, but I'm not sure the comprehension is there for a lot of words.  He does understand a lot, though, and he's started nodding "yes" and shaking his head "no" with some accuracy when I ask him questions instead of saying yes to everything.

We had a horrible 3 nights last week, then Ethan started sleeping straight through from 7 til 6:30 or 7 with a single wake-up for a bottle.  Finally!!  I don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying it while it does.  I'm soooo behind on sleep that I'm not sure I'll ever catch up.  All of his molars have finally poked through, so I think the worst of the teething is over for a little while.  I've tried to be as AP as possible about sleeping, but there were some nights I literally wanted to throw myself out the window just so I could get away and get some sleep.  I'm not the most patient person in the middle of the night, and there were nights I just cried because I was so tired and frustrated, but it looks like we've made it out the other side (for now!). 

Eating...  Ethan still eats anything in sight.  We have yet to find a food he doesn't like.  He hasn't gained any weight in a few months, though, and we've shot up into mostly 2T pants and shirts.  He's really getting tall (33" at last measurement a month ago) and starting to lose his baby fat.  He still has a big belly, though.  On our home scale he weighs 27 lbs.

Still no interest in the potty, though he seems to understand when I ask him if he's pooped.  He doesn't say yes, but he gives me an odd look that he doesn't give when he hasn't.

I just can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit so we can go outside more.  We've gotten about 106" of snow this winter, so playtime outside has been limited.  He loves his sled, and he likes walking in the snow, but his poor face gets so cold if we stay out longer than 20 minutes.  He refuses to wear anything over his nose and mouth, so we just go out for short excursions.

I'm also looking forward to warm weather so I can run again.  I feel like a cow.  I can't run on icy streets, and there's no baby-free time in the morning for me to go to the gym.  Moooo. 

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#364 of 455 Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for your thoughts, ladies. I really appreciate it. One day at a time....

Diana, I'm glad you brought up teeth. Rowan's teeth still fascinate me. He has one molar up/down both sides. So he can definitely chew. But he still only has his two front bottom ones.

Is that normal? You guys only have the two on the bottom? His mouth Looks so interesting because you can see these big huge molars in the back, but only the two in the front (on the bottom). He has four on top in the front.

Rowan's new thing is dancing and singing. He will un-tantrum himself the minute you start singing and he does the baby-bouncing dances. He has a baby yoga video too that he is starting to imitate and does the downward dog and tries to stand like a mountain. He definitely shakes his head yes/no, and has started pointing at what he wants. Intrigued by that index finger and that it can push buttons and flick the light-switch. I think he just discovered that his index finger can Do lots of stuff :-)

I haven't weighed him in a while. He is still a heavy guy - big ole tummy :-)  But at his last wbv was only 85% for weight, which was a big decrease. He wears mostly 18-24months shirts, but can still wear 12mo pants. He's starting to look so much older now that his hair is finally starting to come in on top, and length wise is below his shoulders. I'm not ready to cut the curls yet. I figure, unless they start to matt in the back, I'm going to keep it long. I love seeing little boys with long hair.

Enyhoo, that's about it here. One positive in all this moving argh is that my house is getting more Cleaned and Organized than it's been in a year. I have a full craft station now in the garage, and have moved all my office supplies and files to the garage, all organized and labeled and actually easier to find stuff than when it was all packed into our home office. Yay! Spring cleaning! (now... just bring on the Spring part!)

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#365 of 455 Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Potty-- we've had some success but it's truly hit or miss. a couple weeks ago we had some great success, but then just as fast he refused to have anything to do with it. So back to nothing for us. But I leave it out and figure he'll decide when it's right to try again. Once the weather is warmer it will be easier.

Talking--wow, this past two weeks he is adding about 2 new words a day. Crazy. It went from almost no words to this in a matter of weeks. He's so excited about it to. Like a few days ago he said "door" and then raced around the house pointing to every door saying "door" each time. :)  Today he said "stick" at the park and then "dig, stick", which is what he was doing. This is only the second sentence he's made so far though. Mostly he just names thing, as well as being really good with commands (sigh), "go", "down", "more" being his favorites.

dancing--I love this! N will turn on the radio and stand there doing this butt dance. Hahaha.  He'll also request to be picked up and then insist that I take his hand, a la tango style couples dancing, and that we twirl around.

Teeth--N has the four front top and bottom and has just gotten the two top molars through but no bottom molars. And I just notices yesterday that he is about to get one of the bottom incisors.  So it's all a little rag-tag in there right now.

Okay, sorry for the drive-by but he has been teething and/or had a cold for two weeks now and his sleep has been CRAP, so everything else has been crappy too and I've had very little time for. . .well, anything. Ugh. I hope that this trend will end soon.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#366 of 455 Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanKX View Post

Is that normal? You guys only have the two on the bottom? His mouth Looks so interesting because you can see these big huge molars in the back, but only the two in the front (on the bottom). He has four on top in the front.

that's exact;y what we have....(but molars only on one side)!!!! 4 on top, two on the bottom...we seem to be at a standstill....

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#367 of 455 Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Mine has 8 teeth, all in front. One molar seems to want to poke through soon. She's had a cold ( I do too), so not much free time around here either. Mostly hanging out in the family room where I can sit around on the floor.

Dancing is so fun! My older dd has the Selena Gomez song "Tell Me" for her dance class. My LO dances with her to it when she practices her recital routine, and he knows she has to really rock out to it. She alternates between prancing around, waving both arms and doing this half bend at the waist type move. Then she is more graceful to slower songs and she tucks one arm behind her back and twirls around. She is starting to ask for cetain songs. I thought she just wanted music, so I put some on and she fussed until I got the right song. There is a song that starts out with "Ba-umba, Ba-umba, umba, umba" and she points to the stereo and says, "baba."

She is saying lots of random words and she says "wha-doin'?" which is fun.

This age is so much fun. I am sick and tired of cold and flu season. My older dd brings stuff home and is sick for a couple of days. The LO stays sick for 2 weeks. I've been having trouble breathing. I'm hoping I am not developing asthma.

#368 of 455 Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
She is saying lots of random words and she says "wha-doin'?" which is fun.

When I saw my niece last year, she was 20 months and would say "what happnin"... SO adorable :-)

It was at a family reunion of sorts and we'd all be in the kitchen talking and she'd come bouncing in... "what happnin?" so precocious.

I'm not thinking Rowan's not on that path, but I do think lil girls are quicker on the draw with words and sayings. What do you think?

#369 of 455 Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM

I think it depends on the kid really, but that girls tend to be more verbal and boys tend to be more active and better with the motor skills. Just generalizing because my niece and nephew (twins) weren't like that. My nephew is much more verbal.

I have such mixed emotions right now about weaning. *sigh* I need to take care of my mercury fillings and I plan to get LO down to once or twice per day before that. But I need to figure out how long to wait before nursing again. I read something about day 10 after the procedure being bad. I can't even remember now. But if we make it through 10 days, then why go back after that? I wanted to make it to age 2, but then I'd just wean again. I'm not one who'd like to nurse a 3 or 4 year-old. I started pumping so I can at least give her that after we stop. Then there is the allergy/asthma thing which I need to straighten out.

#370 of 455 Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Catching up! I can't belive our little ones are talking, walking and somewhat pottying!

Anyone still have a frequent waker at night? My son sleeps so little, and seems to be phasing out his afternoon nap. lately he's been oging from 11pm-8 in the morning, but still waking 3-4 times each night. DD only wakes once or twice, so my husband is really getting the short end of the stick. Really, though, this is such a sweet age, and he's getting sweeter adn sweeter each day it seems. ok off to read everyones updates.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#371 of 455 Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hope all are doing well. 

Viv is getting up 3, sometimes 4, times a night and has shifted from a quick sipper to a slow slurper - she used to nurse less than 10 minutes, now she's nursing 30+ minutes per go.  *yawn*

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#372 of 455 Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Ethan still gets up from 2-4 times a night.  Two I can do.  The nights where he's up more than that leave me feeling like a zombie.  Since we bfed at night til he was 9 months old, he still associates "nursing" with sleeping and can't go to sleep without a bottle.  I'd like to work on that, but I'm too tired.  sleepytime.gif

Otherwise, we are starting to get to the "no" phase.  Mostly it's not a whiny-type no, just a cute "no-no", which makes it hard not to laugh at him.  He's starting to be very opinionated about certain things; unfortunately diaper changes are something he hates for some reason, and 90% of the time he freaks out when I have to change him.  I try to give him plenty of warning and time to transition,but it doesn't seem to matter.  He also wants *everything* when we go out to stores, unless he's in the baby carrier or sling.  I don't know why he does so much better when I wear him, since he's seeing all the same things, but it helps.  I can't wait until his language skills improve.  Right now I feel like I'm wasting all my explanations of why he can't have/do/touch/eat something.

His newest skill is that he (finally) learned how to stand up without scaling something.  For some reason, probably because our house is fairly small and there is always something within a foot or so to grab, he took a long time to figure this one out.  But, as is usual with him, he practiced two or three times, then acted like he'd been doing it forever.

His new favorite activities include riding our canister vacuum, riding the dog (while he's laying on the floor), and smacking the dog with various objects.  *sigh*

Still, he's lots of fun, and I'm so excited for warmer weather!  I love being outside, and I can't wait for Ethan to be able to run around more and stay out longer.  He loves just walking around the yard looking at things, and I feel bad when I take him back in after 15 or 20 minutes.  

Oh, and still no interest in the potty, other than calling it "boddy" when I tell him I'm going to go potty.  At least it has a name now.  lol.gif

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#373 of 455 Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Diana... "smacking the dog with various objects.  *sigh*... I love this :-)

A few months ago, I'd actually started a list of stupid things you say... "don't hit the cat with the spatula", "Rowan, the cat does not want to have socks on", "kiddo, the cat does Not want to draw with the etchesketch". I mean, he goes to daycare. He is not deprived of people and things to play with. But the cat is most definitely the one he Wants to play with. He's stopped throwing toys at her, or hitting her with musical instruments. But the socks.. Oh, the socks. Well, he is obsessed with socks and shoes. He puts socks on all his stuffed animals. I guess maybe the cat is just a living version of that. My poor cat :-)

Sleeping... is just an anomaly in this household. Rowan is unlike any kiddo I've ever met. I had friends over the other night to witness, the 6:30 (MAX). I have TRIED to make his bedtime later. Even by ten minutes. But he's a clock. Even with friends over, so you skip a bath, he starts... babababa... and make his sippy cup (the bottles are gone, thank goodness.... two weeks now! yay!), I make it, and he literally runs to his crib. Chooses an animal from the shelves, jumps into bed and says "bye bye". My God, it's so cute. Granted, he doesn't go to "sleep" for a good 20 minutes or more - he's in there talking to something for a lot longer. But he's happy in his world.

Never wakes.

At least 12hrs later.... sometimes 630, most of the time more like 7:30.

It's amazing.

Last week when he was sick, he didn't wake, didn't cry, nada, even with me opening his door, babbling to him, taking a shower, babbling again... until 9am. 15hrs of sleep! It's crazy.

AND he sleeps at least 2hrs for a nap. Same thing, asks for his baba (nubby sippy cup) and goes right now.

My friends (all with older kids) were amazed. I've never seen a kiddo who does this. It still amazes me. AND it's sometimes infuriating because grandparents come over and want to have dinner and hang out with the kiddo... 6:30, period... time for bed. Odd :-)

Ooh... and b/c he was sick last week with pink eye, we went to the MD. 29lbs! Yowsah! He's got a serious belly. His legs and butt and chin have all thinned out. But that belly, my goodness. He is a Big boy!

...ooh I do have questions on milk. I'll ask in the main too. Because he's been so sick, we've been going with almond milk, DP (or Ex-Dp, yikes... not ready for that one yet), thinks Cows milk would give more mucus, so Almond wouldn't. I've gone with his opinion there. Thoughts? The only time he gets "milk" is in his nubby for naps/going down. Less than 12oz a day.

#374 of 455 Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Jordan--man I am so jealous of your sleeper!  Proves though that they are just born with their own "programming" and they are probably going to stick by that no matter what you do.  As for the milk, I know lots of people would say to always give cows milk under 2years, but I would agree that when mucous-y it isn't a bad idea to try another "milk".  I've been buying coconut milk (although mostly for me) and really like it--not the kind in cans, but you can get it now as drinking milk in milk cartons at places like Whole Foods. 

Unfortunately, like some of the rest of you, I do not have a "sleeper".  Nope.  DS goes to bed at 8:30, wakes for good at about 7:30 and in between wakes anywhere from 2-600 times.  Okay, not 600, but you get the picture.  The nights he only wakes 2 ties are awesome!!!!  But usually just when we've had a few of those in a row and I'm thinking something is shifting, he goes back to lots of night nursing/night thrashing. I can't seem to find the pattern.  He also tends to wake one or more times before I even get into bed with him, from 8:30-10:30. . .and that is really frustrating, b/c then DH and I never get un-interrupted time together. Sigh.  He has had a few nights where he sleeps through till 1am and I really, really wish he would start doing that all the time.  Needless to say, he doesn't ever fall asleep or back to sleep without nursing.  He does still nap well, 1.5-2 hours.  Thank the lord for that. 

His communicating is just getting better and better, but it seems like so are his opinions on everything.  He's so much fun, but oh, so much work!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#375 of 455 Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM

I haven't tried coconut milk - I'll look for it. He seems to do well with Almond milk, so far. I'd really like to find a consistent supply of goats-milk, but it seems few and far between around here :-(

I'm seriously not trying to make anyone jealous about Rowan's sleep. not having anything to compare it to, I know I should be really thankful - and I suppose I am. I do get a lot done. It's one of those things, like you said Kismet, about their own programming. I know it's not me! I look at so many things about him and go, Nope! Not me! That's all him :-) And they're almost 100% positive. It's amazing how much they're just "them" - like, how is that possible, you know?

Ro is definitely in the boundary-pushing phase of things. He'll look right at me and throw his food on the floor. Just waiting for me to have a response. And does that with Everything. I need to become better at "discipline", whatever that should mean. It's so hard to NOT let him drag the dining chairs into the kitchen - it takes him so long and he's So Proud of himself when he finally does it, I feel like I should reward him for this incredible feat instead of putting the chair back where it was (in a whole 2 seconds, when it took him 10 minutes to get it right where he wanted). He doesn't really have any BAD behaviors yet - just testing limits. He knows something he really can't do - like touch the stove. And honestly, is it So horrible that he pulled the chair into the kitchen just because he wanted to participate with me cutting veggies? I dunno. So far, I'm letting a lot slide :-)

#376 of 455 Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Not much time, but I do recommend the Dr Sears Discipline Book.  I think that when they push boundaries they really want us to confirm the limits.  Of course the want to help and do stuff on their own and I encourage a lot of that. .. but dangerous things or behavors we don't want to encourage, I think they actually look to us for consistent limits and become unhappy when they don't get them. 

Anyway. . .just a thought.

#377 of 455 Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Sorry it has been so long, everyone!  Things have been so busy and Niall gets so frustrated when I use the computer.  This has been especially difficult for me as I'm trying to get a local parenting/play/support group off the ground.  

Niall is definitely pushing boundaries. We get a lot of playful no's as well as quite a bit of very dramatic fit-throwing.  If I give in and let him have/do the forbidden thing, the fit dries up immediately and he's all smiles. It's so frustrating - for both of us, I'd imagine - to know that the fit can end that easily.  However, he can't always sit on the dining table and juggle scissors. He's also started refusing foods, diaper changes, naps - he's throw one of those dramatic fits or run away.

Speaking of refusing naps, he seems to be attempting to drop his nap, which I'm not ready for!  He still requires my presence for naps but it lets me get stuff done - like this post - using my smartphone.  This behavior looks just like the two naps down to one did when he was smaller. I've wondered if it's walking related, since he merged naps when he started crawling.  He started walking full-time about a month ago.  It was so strange - I'd been waiting to worry about shoes until he was walking. He was watching my husband put on shoes to go out and got very interested in trying to put them on his feet, then asked "My shoes-shoes?"  I said we had some but he didn't need them. He insisted "shoes-shoes!" so we put some on him. Within a week (during which he demanded shoes anytime we left the house) he was full-time walking.

Torq (that's my husband) is feeling the TTC pressure. A lot of his friends had second (mostly final) children around when Niall was born.  The ones that had firsts around Niall's birth date are now announcing due dates in late 2011.  He really wants to start TTC now. I'm mostly on board but I've got the same old worries - money, stress, chasing a defiant no-naps toddler while pregnant.  It doesn't help that practically everyone around me is announcing!  I swear every time we go to the park someone else is going on about a new due date.

I've been dealing with a lot of doctor's appointments and medication shifts for my Hashimoto's - now I get to do celiac disease screening because of the high correlation rate, low vitamin D despite diet and supplements and other symptoms.  If it comes back positive, that seals the deal on never eating in a restaurant again when combined with my son's soy allergy.  (Honestly, the soy allergy menus are way more restrictive and often barren than the gluten-free ones.) His allergy is taking the "rare" path of getting more sensitive - he now can't have items like soy oil or lecithin that are on the "no-protein safe list."

Niall picked up viral croup at a play date where someone brought an obviously sick kid (can I just say this irritates me to no end.)  He developed stridor, despite steroid treatment, humidifiers, cold night air, steamy bathrooms and everything else. Hospital twice, three doctors office visits for breathing treatments and oxygen level monitoring.  We're just coming off of two weeks of that and someone brought obviously sick, runny nosed kids to a Saturday play date and we're back at it - up all night screaming and having trouble breathing.  My wallet is hating my husband's big university benefits - high deductible insurance is gonna bankrupt us.

I'm still looking for a reasonable pediatrician's office - the customer service, medical knowledge and bedside manner (not to mention pushing of sleep schedules, vax without consent) is too much for me. I wish this practice hadn't been bought out by a larger system here - they were great before!

Diapers and clothes continue to be problematic. Cott'n Wraps are too small, even in the largest size.  We've reverted to me doing all changes (Torq is allergic to polyester) and the one cover we could find that goes to 40lb at home and Nature Baby Care compostables in the largest size when out (needs clothes).  Niall is 34.5 inches tall and weighs 38.5 pounds, according to the hospital visits.  Clothes in his size aren't made with diaper room but he is distinctly not interested in potty training.

He's talking up a storm. Directions, commands, names, requests. We get short sentences like "More milk, please." "More cracker, please." "More outside, please." (I'm sure you see a pattern.)  We also get "Shoes-shoes, go-go, car-car outside."  This is a request to go to the park.  "Go-go Daddy-car, eat."  This is a request for Chipotle (allergy-friendly!)

He still eats like mad but is a little pickier.  Favorite foods to request currently are strawberries and hot cereal (cream of, oat bran, steel cut oatmeal - all okay.).  He like raisins (but calls them grape-beans), black beans, cheese, hummus, avocado (do-do), yogurt. Still won't eat meat.

Playtime is getting more imaginative. He's using non-food vessels to "feed" us, the pets and the one stuffed creature he likes. He makes a "glug-glug" noise while holding whatever it is up and then says "AH!" in the commercial-satisfaction way when he pulls it away. No TV here and we didn't show this to him, so no idea where it came from. Non-hat items are made to be hats and then he cracks up.  He'll attempt to put his shapes through the wrong hole on the shape sorter, say "No, no!" crack up and then put it through the right one and announce "Daa!"  He has a word book and has started a flash-card like routine of pointing and asking what something is, making the sign for it, etc. I kinda feel like I'm drilling him but he starts and requests it!  He's picking up more signs pretty quickly, which is good.  My hearing loss seems to be picking up (or everyone, everywhere has gotten quieter) so I need to get on actually learning ASL grammatical structure and not just Signed Exact English word order.  

We very much want to go "home" to Seattle but we're making the best of what we can here.  A move of that size will be hard for us to arrange - we've got two dogs, three cats, a birdcage with seven finches, a toddler and a house full of books - so we're kind of holding out for relo assistance from an employer (which is what got us here - my husband's job decided to move us here and then dumped us.

I think that mostly catches me up.  I read the thread everyday, I just never have time to post!  Sorry for the wall of text. :)

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#378 of 455 Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Meaghan - yowsah! Where to start!

Tell me you typo'd that Niall is 38lbs! Cause Rowan is HUGE (granted, short, but SO huge that he has never Seen his pee-pee at 29lbs)

I'm so sorry about all your sicknesses. Yuck. what a huge strain. I'm so lucky that back to being a "single parent", Rowan is qualified for the Oregon Health Plan (medicare/medicaid... I forget which one, equivalent in other states). Of course I don't have any insurance and it's ME that always has the health issues - random emergency surgeries every few years. Fingers crossed that I'll stay okay - at least he's covered as long as I don't make more than 4K/month (which in this economy right now, that is NOT A CONSIDERATION). Bummer.

I hope Niall gets to feeling better. This winter season has been horrible here, Rowan has had everything - pink eye was last week. It seems one thing after another... but I try to stay strong with the ideas of "better now than later", which seems no consolation while you're in it. But still.

Hopefully others will help with the ideas of TTC. I think I've come to a realization that Rowan might be it for me. I'm almost 35. i'm splitting up with his father. YES, of course I'm not dead and there is that potential. But... 

hell, I'm the oldest of Five, and my youngest sister is NINE. So... :-)

Meag - the thing my parents (and myself) always said that rings true is... you're just never ready. you're never prepared and it's never perfect. But it's just amazing anyway. It always works out :-) Even with insurance and moving and housing and craziness, and, and, etc...

Kismet... I do need to get the Dr. Sears. My mother is all about the story of "all kids Get not to cross the street... how do they get that lesson, while being stubborn on everything else?". And like I'd said, Ro gets to stay away from the stove. But I do fear that I'm letting too much slide, just in the joy of watching his accomplishments. I envision myself as a potentially very strict individual (I was raised that way, at least), so I know it'll come. I know, in theory, that boundaries are good - they are actually seeking that. And he's very receptive to what I've already deemed as No. Lala, enough babbling. Thanks for the recommendation :-)

#379 of 455 Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 PM

No typo - he's really thirty-eight pounds!  He's definitely seen his penis - he won't stop messing with it when I'm trying to change his diaper, pokes it and says "peee"!  :P  Yeah, it's a lot of kid.  He's tall, got big feet, a big head - even hats that fit him are marked three years.  My brothers and cousins are all over 6' - even the women - so it's not really surprising, given that his dad is also not all that short and is a big guy.  It's just hard to keep him in clothes and diapers.  Finding developmentally appropriate shoes is incredibly difficult (wide-width, currently needs a 7.)

I know you're never ready but sometimes I feel like it's beyond not being ready, you know?  

I hope we're headed to being on the mend as well.  Many more of these late-night sick-baby sessions and my husband is going to go walkabout for sure!

A split, no matter how amiable is pretty crummy.  I hope you're doing as well as you can with it.  There was a lot of unexpected emotion when I split from my ex-husband - even though we had been "done" and living in separate rooms like roommates for years.  I was so mad, sad at all kinds of things - I was a little shocked!

I should probably crawl off to bed!  :)

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#380 of 455 Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Just trying to catch up quickly here. The LO was sleeping really well, only waking once sometimes around 4 or 5 and then going back down until 7 or 8. However, the last 2 nights were bad. Who knows what gives. What it took was night weaning. I have been gradually feeding her less and less for a long time now. I now feed her at bedtime around 8 in theory but really 9 and then not again until at least 4 AM By then I really do think she's hungry. I think we can slowly stretch that out. She is still nursing about 3-4 times per day, but my milk supply isn't what it was. I really hate this in between time. I prefer to nurse with a strong flow of milk. Otherwise the sensation makes me nuts. I never could allow comfort nursing in the beginning because of oversupply. Neither of my girls really wanted to anyhow. Good thing because once the milk stops flowing, I have to sing to myself, count, distract my mind so I don't crawl out of my skin. But the sleep was feeling nice. I was starting to see how we could get back to feeling normal again. I still havent' found my groove with keeping up around the house. I'll get there I guess.

She has started putting more words together which can be hysterical. She only gets juice occasionally, but she used to have it more for constipation. Once we added shredded wheat, she hasn't needed it, so I just give her milk or water. I don't do nuts this early-- lots of allergies in my family. I haven't settled on any other kind, so after really working to figure it out with my first, I just went right to cows milk with this LO, but only started really giving it to her in the past month. Anyhow, any cup or liquid is "juice" to her. She was in the tub the other day and patted the water and said, "This is juice." My 6 YO tells the story and says it was so funny because she said it like she was absolutely positive she was bathing in juice. She started saying "I-unt dat." (I want that) and PEES (please).

#381 of 455 Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
tzs

meag....check out livie and luca shoes. they are super duper flexible...the bendiest i've seen....and run wide. they are super duper pricey but if you get on their mailing list they have occasional 50% off sales which knocks them down to $24 or so (still alot on my book but they are such amazing quality that i make an exception...and my mom likes to buy them for her :) ) so i "stock up" in the next sizes up.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#382 of 455 Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM

*peeks in the abandoned thread*

Our toddlers must be keeping us busy. It's so quiet in here.

#383 of 455 Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Yep! Busy with LO's and Spring is around the corner! :)

Here is our brief update: M is being very adventurous and we are spending a lot of time outside. Spring is almost here and we can't wait to shed layers and layers of clothing. Every day I'm amazed by M's learning and how much fun she gets out of the simple things. 

Where is everyone? :)

:
#384 of 455 Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Hello everyone! :)

I still lurk about, but rarely get the chance to post these days. Still, I remember all of you fondly from our pg days together and I take such great delight in hearing about all the things your little people are getting up to! :)

Duncan is definitely my last little guy (anyone who remembers me probably also remembers that my pg with him was one complication after the other, sigh), and as such, I'm really taking the time to smell the roses and enjoy all his stages. He is 19 months old now (he came a bit earlier, at 35w, so he's an August baby, actually) and at the moment, I'm loving his toothy grins, his single-minded obsession with buttons and switches and levers, his many, many kisses, and his sweet little wave and "bye" that he gives when he's done nursing and is heading off to leave new destruction in his wake, lol!

I also love, love, love the interaction between him and his big (little) sister, Sophie. Although she's about to turn five, she has Down Syndrome, so in both size and maturity level, they're more like two years apart in age instead of 3 1/2. And having her was honestly a big reason DH and I ultimately decided to have just one more, to give her a younger playmate. And boy, do they play now! :D They are bestest buddies, and take such delight in one another. And yes, they whack each other from time to time, too, but that's par for the course. I have dubbed them Thing 1 and Thing 2 in our house, b/c when they team up for trouble, watch out!

Sophie has a lot of fine motor delays, but she's a lot taller than Duncan and can mastermind their "schemes." Duncan is her willing accomplice AND has advanced fine motor skills for his age, so he can open/undo just about anything she asks him to. Oh, boy, do they wreak havoc! My house has potentially never been so trashed, lol, and I have 6 kids, so that's saying something! nut.gif

I am so relieved to hear that I'm not the only sleep-deprived toddler mama who's still nursing through the night, but it only makes me feel sorry for all of us! With the exception of Sophie, who slept through the night from 6 wks. on (yeah, that's really unusual, I know, and none of my other kids did anything close to that!), I always night-weaned my toddlers at around 15 mos. because I was always pg again and psychotically tired. Well....definitely not ever going to be pg again, and not intending on weaning anytime soon (although boy, there are days that sounds really tempting, lol), but at the very least, it would be nice to have more uninterrupted sleep. At 39, I really notice my sleep deprivation MORE than I ever did before. Yep, it's a good thing I'm done having babies, b/c my body is getting too old for this stuff!

Well, I need to get off and finish cleaning up for a class musical rehearsal that's converging on my house within the hour; just wanted to wave hi and say it's lovely to "see" all of you again!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#385 of 455 Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Popping in to say hi!  My spring semester has just under a month left and I'm swamped with writing and grading exams.  My office is limping along and I'm hoping for an influx with the summer and our new marketing campaign.

Viv comes to the office with me some days - she loves to help.  If I let her, she will vacuum for me and dust the kids area.  She is obsessed with the computer, so I bought her a toy computer and she loves pushing the buttons.  She plays really well with ds, who is 10.  But she runs from dd1, 7 yo, because dd1 crowds her and wants to treat her like a doll.  LOL.

My parents got Viv a chair at Ikea that lets her sit up at the table like a big girl and she loves it.  Most meals, she gets up in the chair by herself and does a great job of eating with her fork and spoon.  She also adores washing her hands - makes me laugh because my other two act like washing hands is torture.

#386 of 455 Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Rowan, these days, is just mad about everything. He is not to be stopped. He's figured out the cat door. Which's created a whole new "gating" to the kitchen. Which is a bummer, because he is such a helper. He wants to be involved in everything. So, gate opens to the kitchen when I'm there with him; closed when I'm not... cause he'll just go through the cat-door and go outside.

his dad says he learned door-knobs tonight - apparently opened a Very closed door while Dad was on the potty. We have separate "shifts" with the kiddo because we're separating as a couple, so I've not yet seen it. But I do think it's time to get some knobby-thingies (must research more bonafide names there).

he still sleeps in his crib and Wants to climb out, but seems smart about it. He tests one leg over, NO. Belly over, NO. So I put his beaned-bag underneath the other day... oh yes, that's a good belly-over, face-plant. And out of crib, instantly. He'd like to have the ambition to get out of his crib, but still asks for me to bring his bean-bag over. We're not quite ready for a big-boy bed, even though it's in the room. I'm in no rush. He LOVES his crib; runs to it for naps and at night. Has a bookshelf next to it, so he just reads books to himself, going down, until he's done. I go in at 10 or so (whenever I go to bed) and sometimes there are 10 books in the crib, sometimes just one.

It works for him right now. I don't want to force something he's not ready for.

SENSORY... OMG, Ro LIVES for the kitchen. He wants to be in the dishwasher; he wants to be in the sink; he wants to cook.

My mom says she bought him a sensory table (water/sand), but our outside weather has been so crappy she hasn't brought it by yet.

He wants, so much, to be involved in the kitchen. No longer just to make noise, but to pour and help and stir. When I'm cooking and I keep him at the gate, he just watches me, my every move.

Sometimes I let him come in and join...but I'm so scared that he hasn't fully learned HOT yet... and we have a flat-stove, so you never know when it's hot or not. He understands the word, HOT!!!!, but not enough. I don't want a burn to be the reason he learns it, for real, you know?

He just wants to help and experience everything.

Note -- he is the happiest baby. At daycare the other day, he came home with a huge BITE on his arm. I questioned the next day, and his teacher was all apologetic, but also real that he's just so happy all the time, he never cries.. they don't know who BIT him, because he didn't let them know. Same as when he had a 104fever and never shared any outward symptoms. Yeah, part of me wants to question his daycare workers, but honestly... he's just happy all the time. He will not let on that he's sick or in pain. It's weird - Great! But weird. It's hard to diagnose him sometimes. He just doesn't show Argh, Ever.

#387 of 455 Old 04-09-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi everybody!  I haven't stopped in here for a while, but I got really excited when I saw the thread on the first page!

Cormac is a week away from 19 months. I recognize him in so many of the things you've all said.  He's into everything, he's computer-obsessed, he gets reeeaaallly mad sometimes.  I don't think my other kids did this screeching indignation that he does when something doesn't go his way!  It's not all the time, often he will allow me to distract him, or he'll just accept a No. But when something is very important, such as that I didn't listen when he indicated he wanted his water in THAT cup with a straw, not THIS cup with a lid- oh my gosh, he will let me know how very mad he is.  Tears, little feet dancing in frustration.

He knows a lot of words.  DH is speaking only Spanish to him, but speaks English to me, so there is definitely a lot more English in the house than Spanish. Still, he does understand DH, and he uses Spanish exclusively for some things.  If I ask him "Do you want some water?" he'll shout "AGUA!"  He sings a lot, which I find just completely adorable. Usually I have no idea what he is singing about, but sometimes I recognize the melody to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, with a "skyyyyyyy" thrown in occasionally.

We are still nursing and I have not nightweaned.  I was thinking about it because he was waking up sometimes 600 times a night (lol Kismet!), but all of a sudden he has dropped down to about twice. And I can totally handle that.  Plus, I GOT PREGNANT (ay yi yi) and I will be losing my milk soon. So I won't take it away, I want him to have as much as he can for as long as he can.  His older brother and sister nursed through my other pregnancies even though I had no milk, and tandemed after, so maybe he will do that.  Nursing is a huge part of his life.

I am nervous about having kids only about 2 years apart!  But at least Cormac is out of diapers!  We EC'd him from birth, so he has been using the potty since day 1. I just would put him on after waking and about once an hour when he was awake. A couple of months ago I noticed that he stopped wetting his diapers in between me taking him to the bathroom.  He was having dry diapers for days on end. When he was naked around the house he would start to accidentally pee, and then yell "ET!" (wet), so I would rush him to the potty and he'd finish there.  I switched him over to tiny little undies, and at the same time his control improved so that he stopped the accidental peeing.  Now I still take him to the potty about every 1.5-2 hours; he usually does not say he has to pee unless he has just woken up, but he doesn't have accidents!  YAY!  He can hold it longer than I can. lol.gif  He always tells me 'poo-poo' when he needs to poop.  And the most amazing thing is that he is dry overnight, since some time in January.  I totally did not expect that- my older kids were like 4 before they had nightime dryness.  I won't be surprised if it changes as he grows, so I still put a diaper on him when I come to bed and he gets in with me to nurse- I don't like waking up in a puddle and it could happen!

I would like to get him a balance bike too.  We did the training wheels thing with DD & DS1, and it really hindered them.  They rode great, but they were really emotionally dependent on those wheels.  It took until she was 6 & he was 4 for them to be ready to take them off.  They way DS1 finally learned to ride was to take off the training wheels and pedals, making it into a balance bike!  The pedals were back on and he was riding without the trainers in 3-4 days.  So this time, I just want to start with that.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#388 of 455 Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Nice to hear from some mamas I haven't seen around in awhile!!! :)

Kristi--congrats on your pg!  So you must be in the DDC with strongfeather and dosergirl again. How fun.  

We're actually ttc now, but my cycles are still pretty wacked out from BFing. . .so it may take us awhile.  I feel some pressure though as I am 35 and will be 36 at the end of the year--on the other hand, I really don't want to restrict DS nursing until he is closer to two. So we may try some nightweaning this summer, as a sort of compromise. Other than that, I'm just loving this age!  DS is suddenly just exploding with language and "chats" with us all the time now.  He is just busy, busy, busy  Two of his favorite words are "dig" and "push". .. this guy is active!  

We're off for two weeks of travel tomorrow.  I'm dreading it. .. but hopefully we'll manage to have some fun.  I don't think toddlers and travel were meant to go together though!

#389 of 455 Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

I had Cormac at 37, and I will be 39 when this baby comes!  I truly think your late 30s is a perfectly reasonable time to be having babies. 

I am in the DDC a month behind Strongfeather and dosergirl- I'm due in mid-November.  You know what strikes me funny? People usually are so excited and can't wait to find out when the baby is coming (in-real-life people, I mean).  I have gotten lots of congratulations, a couple of 'WOW's and a 'DANG'!- but I don't think one person has asked me when #4 will arrive.  I guess the novelty of me having babies has worn off, then?  ah well.

Have fun on your travel adventure, kismet!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#390 of 455 Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just checking in! congrats on the new mama's to be! having two has certainly been an adjustment, but it truly is so wonderful to watch them interact. It's totally weird-- my son is like a tornado-he can destroy nearly everything in his path, but is shockingly gentle with his sister.

Any other babies still on the bottle? I'm having a hard time (emotionally) starting the weaning process with my son. We'd kept him on the bottle through my pregnancy partly because we didn't want to mess with his routine anymore, and partly in hopes that he'd go back to the breast after the baby was born.

He quit the breast so quickly and didn't look back. I've tried and tried to get him to nurse but he won't, and I don't think I can try anymore. I know he should be off (he got his first ear infection)... but I feel certain that if I hadn't gotten pregnant, he'd still be nursing. And yes... he can drink out of a sippy, the bottle is more for comfort than anything else.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page