September 2009 Moms and Toddlers! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 455 Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey! Just checking in!

I hope everyone's holidays are getting off to a good start. DH and I are hindu, and don't have a dec holiday to celebrate. We've spent a lot of time trying hammer out how and what to celebrate.

DH and DS have a cold (or something), and I'm not looking forward another week of sleepless nights and snot sucking.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#242 of 455 Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM
tzs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you could do "festivas" like on seinfeld.

Dmitrizmom likes this.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#243 of 455 Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

xmas this year is just nada. I really feel like I"m becoming that whiny person - it's maddening. I don't MEAN to sound so unhappy. But the holidays are strange. Both my mother and DP's family are escaping to Southern California. It's okay, cause DP has surgery.

But add insult (or a bonus, as my mother sees it), she's having an xmas dinner that was supposed to be for us, before they escaped away... and now it's turned into dinner party of all their employees. so the only potential external family gathering we have is also with employees. Hmmm...

let's just avoid the holidays and go with kiddo...

Rowan doesn't have words.

Is this a problem?

I figure, reading books & posts, I'll not be worried til 18 months.

But I still consider it. Everything is baba. he chatters like a maniac, but no words. I think he's even gone backwards - he used to have mama, dada, dai-da... now everything is just baba. Maybe because of Books, Balls... things that are, legitimately, Ba's.

One thing he Does do is allow you the chance to mimic.. he doesn't mimic me, but he loves it when I mimic him. And he gives me a few seconds of silence to mimic. I'm a musical person so I do it to a "t" - and he tests it with really high/really low sounds. It's funny!

He also won't do anything himself. He will "pattycake" or "itsy-bitsy spider" but only holding My hands... making Me do it. He won't do it on his own. He can make his hands become "the spider", but only if I'm holding his hands.

ah, his hair is finally getting long. Crazy mullet of curls in the back. and so many teeth up front. Still only the two lower front teeth, despite 4 up top and two top molars. His bottoms need to catch up! Cause he can't quite chew... but last night we had ribs, and he loves to suck on the bone. Apparently I have a meat-eater on my hands.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#244 of 455 Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Big hug to all the mamas here!

JordanXX - even if Rowan is talking less, do you notice that he understands what you are saying to him?

I noticed that baby M has periods of silence, but she observes us and definitely understands more and more (she surprises me by grabbing certain toys we are talking about at that moment, starts waving "bye" even if we are not waving to the person, but we just mention "it's time for us to say 'good bye' for tonight", etc.).

We went through first real cold/flu *whatever it was. Baby M did great, I was beat up! :)

Now, I need to catch up with all the gifts and holiday cards etc.

How is everyone doing?

:
#245 of 455 Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 PM
tzs

jordankx---ada doesn't really have any words either. i mean, there were phases where she would use a couple but they were short-lived. now she "counts" to 4 or so and says "row row" for "row row row your boat." but that is only because they are "teaching" her that at daycare. well, i guess the "row row" might be her own but the counting is just repeating, she doesn't know what it means, and frankly i find it a little annoying to picture them training my kid like some kind of parrot. well, actually, know that i think of it she does say "more" but used incorrectly :), with her it means she wants something, usually food-related. i didn't even know to worry. every so often i hear of a 15 month-old and her vocab of six words or something like that but it just doesn't seem like what i see IRL. in ada's class she's the youngest and her class and mine combine frequently and i've heard like 2 words out of the oldest of the kids who is around 19 months ("mama" and "stop!"...so it's not like they are all that eloquent, yk?)

plus, she understands more than i sometimes think and is able to communicate so i think they're right on track.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#246 of 455 Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Jordan, I"m sorry things aren't going well. We don't have any set holiday traditions around here either. It sucks cause some years are great, and some are just so, so. I'm hoping to avoid that for DS. DS doesn't do any hand games either, and the vast majority of everything is 'bee-bee'. He definitely tries to communicate,though. I'm home sick today, and was listening to him give the sitter a piece of his mind.

A few days ago, ds walked. Well... kind of. He definitely took at least 3 steps unsuported before falling down. He totally refuses to try now, or in front of anyone else, so I can't prove it!

I'm sick, and this is defnitely the lowest I've felt in the last few years. I can't talk, I pee when I sneeze, I can't take anything. not fun.

I also am feeling a weird disconnect to both ds and baby in uetero. The loss of nursing and being able to lift ds has been really hard on our relationship. When he sees me now, he'll crawl towards me and wave, instead of asking to be held. I was shocked this weekend when DH took him to play in the backyard-- ds can go down the slide, but he's never been with me. The only 'playing' we do is reading books, which only goes so far with ds. I just feel like I've missed so much. I hope, hope, hope this doesn't get worse when the new baby comes.

OT, but with new baby.... I'm ashamed to say that I sometimes forget completely that I'm pregnant. I was looking for medicine at the grocery, and thinking that I could take anything since I'm no longer nursing. Or I'll feel the baby move and think, what  *was* that. Or I'll forget how many weeks I am etc. How's that for mother of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikaKika View Post

Big hug to all the mamas here!

JordanXX - even if Rowan is talking less, do you notice that he understands what you are saying to him?

I noticed that baby M has periods of silence, but she observes us and definitely understands more and more (she surprises me by grabbing certain toys we are talking about at that moment, starts waving "bye" even if we are not waving to the person, but we just mention "it's time for us to say 'good bye' for tonight", etc.).

We went through first real cold/flu *whatever it was. Baby M did great, I was beat up! :)

Now, I need to catch up with all the gifts and holiday cards etc.

How is everyone doing?

KikaKika, I hope you all are recovering well! This cold has knocked me flat as well. I am taken aback when I realize how much DS can understand. He can barely talk, but he can correctly identify books by their covers. Who knew?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#247 of 455 Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself Texmati!  I'm so tired from chasing DS, especially with the broken/limited sleep at night, some days I can barely function.  And add in pregnancy exhaustion...  I'm sure your body is more than a little over-taxed right now.   hug2.gif  Hang in there! 

Ethan is definitely a walker now, and rarely sits down.  Ever.  Once in a while I can get him to sit and play with me and his shape-sorter, or flip through a book (he has no interest in being read to), but other than that, it's go, go, go.  He has a few words.  He says "mom" clear as day, "da" for dad, "ba" for bottle, Bach (our dog), brush, and bye.  He says hi to people when he first sees them and waves after he gives them a kiss goodbye.  Occasionally he says "na" for nap or night-night.  And he signs "more", "please" and "all done", though he only knows the meaning of "more".  The others he just does after we say the words.  Oh, and "up".  He ALWAYS wants up.  Writing it all down, I guess he says quite a bit!

But his understanding is pretty amazing.  He'll retrieve objects, like a spoon, bowl, or brush if I ask him where they are. He knows tissues go in the wastebasket and will toss them in there after I blow his nose.  He can do simple tasks; we've taught him to feed our dog, since Bach wasn't feeling too friendly about Ethan chasing him around (and it's done wonders for their relationship).  Ethan can get the measuring cup, scoop out some dog food with help, carry it to the dog bowl, and sometimes dump it all in the bowl.  He also mimics my activities.  The other day when I was cleaning up the kitchen, Ethan got a sponge and started wiping the cabinets with it.  He has a miniature broom that he likes to carry around and "sweep" with.  He tries to brush his own hair, blow his nose, and stick the nasal aspirator up his nose.  You can tell this is my first baby, because I'm just in awe of everything he can do! 

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#248 of 455 Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Hiya mamas! Glad to see more of us around here again!

I hope everyone has a lovely holiday time. . .any family issues notwithstanding.  We have our beautiful LOs to share the magic with, that's got to make it special.  If nothing else DS has been loving all the lights up in the neighborhood.  We don't "do" Christmas stuff (lights, tree, etc) here at our house, so it will be fun to see his reaction once we get to Grandma's and all the Christmas madness begins.  Mostly it will be fun for all of us grown-ups to have a Lo around at Christmas time, DS is the first grandchild, so this is a big year (since last year he clearly didn't appreciate it yet).

I've mentioned it before, but in regards to the talking, DS has exactly 2 (okay maybe 3) spoken words. Mama, which means me, it means DH and it also mean nurse, and "no" (sigh).  He also says "go' I think.  But as everyone else said, he understands so much, sometimes it blows me away. And he has a lot of signs too.  I think the big language explosion doesn't even really start till 18m.  So I'm sure none of us have anything to worry about yet.

He's almost always preferring to walk now, he even took his first walk around the neighborhood yesterday--made it about three blocks and was super proud of himself.  He LOVES to "help" and mimic.  When he helps me wash dishes he pushes up his little sleeves. Too cute.  And tonight he gave me a kiss for the first time love.gif I've been trying to teach him that for a while now.  He just recently started doing some hand motions with itsy-bitsy spider and a couple others.  He loves to read books, but other than that and when he nurses he's just going, going, going.  

Don't be hard on yourselves pregnant mamas, it's a hard enough job without adding that!  

Happy holidays everyone!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#249 of 455 Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi everyone! 

Jordan, that does stink that your family won't really be around for the holidays.  It does give you the opportunity to start your own family traditions though, which I would love to do but can't!  DH's family and my family will be here for the holidays and we are actually ALL hanging out together for Christmas.  Talk about overwhelming: there will be 20 of us in one house! 

Tex, definitely don't be so hard on yourself!  You've got a lot going on right now.  My belly is starting to get cumbersome now and I cannot imagine how I'm going to manage in a few months.  I have also had moments where I've forgotten I was pregnant so don't feel bad about that!

Lake is doing pretty good!  He's "ahead" with certain things and "behind" on others.  (I put those in quotes b/c I think he is one smart baby and I hate comparing him to a checklist.  I can see the value of those things but it drives me crazy all the same!)  Anyway...  He is just now learning body parts (like toes and belly button) even though that was on the checklist at his 12 mo WBV.  He DOES NOT do hand games at all!  He'll watch and listen and ask for us to repeat it (by grunting, haha!) but he never does it himself.  He waves bye-bye ocassionally.  On the other hand, he is such a talker!  He has phrases and says them in context a lot of the time.  We put up lights and a tree the other week and when DH plugged in the lights, Lake stood there and said "Oh wow!"  It was so cute!  He was just in awe.  He has also learned 'holy cow' from DH and 'oh God!' from me blush.gif.  He had a really bad cold that lasted WEEKS.  He's finally over it now but one day I was going to blow his nose and he saw me coming.  He was banging a spoon on the chair and when he saw me, he dropped the spoon said "oh God!" and ran away.  ROTFLMAO.gif One day, the dogs came in the room and he looked at them and said "You puppies something something something.  Go, go!"  I am just so amazed with what he's saying!  Obviously, these are phrases that DH and I use all the time.  He still grunts and points for a lot of things.  Lake has also started attending a gymnastics class for toddlers.  He does well following instructions and it's good interaction with other kids his age.

reading.gifwife to superhero.gifDH, mom to bouncy.gifDS (9/24/09) and heartbeat.gifDS (EDD: 4/24/11)
#250 of 455 Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM

My dd is NOT a talker, but she does do a lot of grunting, pointing and gesturing even though we have only recently started using signs for things like "finished" and "hungry". I don't even know what she is supposed to be doing at 14 mths. I guess I am amazed at all the talkers at this age. She doesn't even say mama, although she does use dadadadadada for everything.

K(35) : married to DH (36) : Sweet DD arrived Oct 2nd!
#251 of 455 Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM

So, GP's just showed me that Rowan mmmmm's... at things "animal". Like a Moo sound. And he also "baaaaaa" at sheep.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to see!

This week has been horrible... I'll rant at the bottom. But so many people around has shown all the things he does do. He is all about stackers. We have literally 6 different kinds of stackers. His new thing is taking stack #1, and grabs the top and puts it on the bottom, the next on top of it, starting a whole new stack. ie, he takes the rings off, one by one and stacks them not on the ring, but upside down. And then back again, in the ring. OMG, I've created OCD kid :-)

Does he understand? Yes. Everything. He is the most accommodating child. Bath? He's moving towards bath. Diaper? He goes to his changing table. But so much more... every game is.. my turn/your turn. He allows, and WANTS you to take the next turn - stacking, or pulling the strings on the guitar.

He's figured out the itsy bitsy spider fingers. He does the spider fingers, the rain. Patty-cake, he "throw"s it in the pan. If you're happy... hands, feet, peekaboo (from the CD, not anything I've ever learned), he does.

Still words are... ba.

But he understands.

Tonight he was upset when dinner was over and he wanted water. I looked at his water and could tell it was from earlier, and I said... wait, I'm gonna go get you new water. He said "ba" and reached, but watched me while I went in the kitchen and cleaned out his sippy cup, all patient, like he understood. I dunno. He's just so accommodating.

(I have to write another post...)

#252 of 455 Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 AM

so... (gulp)... Rowan was hospitalized for... apparently ASTHMA this week. it was so terrifying.

I posted in the main, because I need advice. Everyone says he doesn't HAVE asthma. Neither DP nor I have asthma, nor our families. And it's supposed to be genetic. But they kept pulling on allergetic strings in our family - "oh, your granddad has hay fever, well...".

two weeks ago he had a bad fever of 103 plus (I posted... he was being creepy kid, tantrumy, not sleeping). But he got over it. And then I started a new job and he was into daycare, prob'ly picked up a virus. And his response to that virus was more respiratory. An Asthmatic response to that virus.

So... we're still not sure if he HAS asthma, or if it's just a response for the now.... or something that might come up again, when he's vulnerable and immune deficient. Scary!

Tonight he's been asleep like normal. Back to eating like normal, so I'm not even going with the regiment of breathing treatments told (I dunno... my dad is a homeopath, so he always counters everything normal MD's say.... and for now, the remedies my dad has him on are working better).

But it's been a scary few days. THANK YOU GUYS for your wishes about the holidays. Bc once Rowan is off his meds of 5 days, DP will have his surgery and will be incapacitated. So it's like the holidays are just one issue after another. AND I just started a new job. I'm more than stressed right now. But... we'll through all this argh.

It's just a lot, in a few compacted weeks. Seeing Rowan in the hospital with tubes coming from Everywhere....

Well... you can imagine.

it's all good now. He's home. We're dealing. And he's been sleeping for hours and I have a bed in his room, so I"m only a few feet away. Makes me kinda (selfishly) wanna keep it that way forever, yk?

#253 of 455 Old 12-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Oh Jordan, many many hugs to you! hug2.gifI don't have any good advice or knowledge, but that sounds really scary. Hang in there. I hope you get some answers soon and that Rowan stays well.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#254 of 455 Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Big hug to you JordanXX, and to little Rowan! I hope he heals fast from whatever it is that's bugging him.

Stay strong these next several weeks! Come here to vent whenever you need to!

Kismetbaby - thank you - feeling great now, at last :) So cool to find out how much little ones understand even if they do not talk much :) 

texmati - hang in there! And all other mamas that are preggers! :)

:
#255 of 455 Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Guess I wanted to bump this thread, but also take the time to say whew! I am almost done with work for the year. Tomorrow it is vacation time, and although this is not always relaxing with a one year old, I suppose I am looking forward to it. Plane rides, car rides, weird hotels and relatives. A complete upheaval of DD's routine. I sometimes get stressed about this stuff, but this year I enjoy as much of it as I can without worrying about how much sleep I am getting or how tired I am.

K(35) : married to DH (36) : Sweet DD arrived Oct 2nd!
#256 of 455 Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

This is the season of joy for us.  Ten years ago today was my EDD with ds.  To my dismay then, he was not to be born for another 5 days.  Before he was born, he taught me my first lesson about being a mom... patience is everything.  :)  The Christmas day I spent laboring with him was the best I have ever had. 

I am so excited to spend the holiday with my kids - looking forward to Viv's excitement about ripping paper and playing with boxes.  Love to watch the older two play with her.  I'm at the office until noon on Friday, and back on Monday... Can't wait for this weekend.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#257 of 455 Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 AM
tzs

hope everybody who celebrates had a good and drama-free holiday!

i don't know if this is illegal here but just had to let you guys know that livie and luca shoes are having a 50% off online sale now with the code  50off2010.

they are a-MAZ-ing shoes. i can honestly see ada walk better in them. she just seems more comfortable, the soles are "real" but super duper flexible. i mean, see kai run are supposed to be great but they hold nothing to these (in fact, she was tripping all over the place in them yesterday). i guess this is kind of a public service announcement then, huh? check sizing if you order. i'd say they run small. her 4's are the same size as her target shoes in 3.

#258 of 455 Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM

tzs - thank you thank you thank you!!!! Just placed an order with L&C, I love these shoes and this really is a great deal!

:
#259 of 455 Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanKX View Post

so... (gulp)... Rowan was hospitalized for... apparently ASTHMA this week. it was so terrifying.

I posted in the main, because I need advice. Everyone says he doesn't HAVE asthma. Neither DP nor I have asthma, nor our families. And it's supposed to be genetic. But they kept pulling on allergetic strings in our family - "oh, your granddad has hay fever, well...".

two weeks ago he had a bad fever of 103 plus (I posted... he was being creepy kid, tantrumy, not sleeping). But he got over it. And then I started a new job and he was into daycare, prob'ly picked up a virus. And his response to that virus was more respiratory. An Asthmatic response to that virus.

So... we're still not sure if he HAS asthma, or if it's just a response for the now.... or something that might come up again, when he's vulnerable and immune deficient. Scary!

Tonight he's been asleep like normal. Back to eating like normal, so I'm not even going with the regiment of breathing treatments told (I dunno... my dad is a homeopath, so he always counters everything normal MD's say.... and for now, the remedies my dad has him on are working better).

But it's been a scary few days. THANK YOU GUYS for your wishes about the holidays. Bc once Rowan is off his meds of 5 days, DP will have his surgery and will be incapacitated. So it's like the holidays are just one issue after another. AND I just started a new job. I'm more than stressed right now. But... we'll through all this argh.

It's just a lot, in a few compacted weeks. Seeing Rowan in the hospital with tubes coming from Everywhere....

Well... you can imagine.

it's all good now. He's home. We're dealing. And he's been sleeping for hours and I have a bed in his room, so I"m only a few feet away. Makes me kinda (selfishly) wanna keep it that way forever, yk?

I'm just now checking back on this thread, and I hope that your little one was feeling better for the holidays!

And Dimitriz mom! congratulations on 10 years of motherhood! After becoming a mom, I realized that I should be baking a cake for my mom on my birthday, not the other way around, lol!

I know he's a little late, but DS has started walking in ernest now! He can do multiple steps, and sometimes makes turns and can even stand in place for a few seconds! He can't go from crawling to a stand unsupported yet, so he spends most of his time crawling. He will only walk when being encouraged, but he is no longer a non-walker. He's 15 mos old.

I was just thinking back to around 2008 at this time. Most of us were just finding out about our pregnancies! 2 holiday seasons later, I'm trying to keep my son from playing in the toilet. My how time flies!

#260 of 455 Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

And Dimitriz mom! congratulations on 10 years of motherhood! After becoming a mom, I realized that I should be baking a cake for my mom on my birthday, not the other way around, lol!

I know he's a little late, but DS has started walking in ernest now! He can do multiple steps, and sometimes makes turns and can even stand in place for a few seconds! He can't go from crawling to a stand unsupported yet, so he spends most of his time crawling. He will only walk when being encouraged, but he is no longer a non-walker. He's 15 mos old.

I was just thinking back to around 2008 at this time. Most of us were just finding out about our pregnancies! 2 holiday seasons later, I'm trying to keep my son from playing in the toilet. My how time flies!

Thanks!  :)

Congrats on walking.  LOL  Sounds like he's doing great.

Kind of funny how time flies and how fast kids grow.  And what is it with toddlers and toilets?  Icky!

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#261 of 455 Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texmati View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanKX View Post

Well... you can imagine.

I'm just now checking back on this thread, and I hope that your little one was feeling better for the holidays!

ditto!  wave.gif

reading.gifwife to superhero.gifDH, mom to bouncy.gifDS (9/24/09) and heartbeat.gifDS (EDD: 4/24/11)
#262 of 455 Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi mamas. Hope everyone survived Christmas ;)  We just got back from visiting my family. . .and whew, traveling with a toddler is WAY harder than with a a baby!  My DS was not happy to be on the airplane and surrounded by strangers for a week.  But it was nice for him to spend time with his grandparents and aunties and uncle, and despite his unusual level of clinginess/fussiness he was still the star of the show.  And DH and I did sneak away for dinner for my birthday (Christmas Eve baby myself!), which was nice.  Apparently DS is a perfect angel when I'm not there and only becomes a whiney leg-monkey for my benefit. Sheesh.  

Seemed like he learned so many new things while we were there, my sisters BF taught him to high-five and he is now obsessed with getting everyone to high-five him all the time.  He started signing a number of new things including grandma and grandpa.  :)  And he started saying "down", although it sounds more like "doh" and juice (again its just "juh").  This is a pretty big leap for a child that only had three spoken words before then.  The whole time we were there I kept thinking back to last year when he was basically a newborn still and marveling at how much has happened in a year.  And the year before that I wasn't even pg yet! Wow. 

Happy new year!

#263 of 455 Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this thread. DD was born Septembe 14, 2009. She doesn't have a ton of words. Her favorites are "this" and "more". Says them clear as day. She uses "this" when she wants something, in conjunction with pointing at the item. She uses more when she wants more food. She signs "drink" "more" and "done". She does use "da" for daddy.

She's walking ALL OVER the place. Running after her brother. (2.5 years). It is definitely hard to imagine that she's already over a year old, though she's my third so its not as mind-blowing as it was with the others.

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#264 of 455 Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

Hi mamas. Hope everyone survived Christmas ;)  We just got back from visiting my family. . .and whew, traveling with a toddler is WAY harder than with a a baby!  My DS was not happy to be on the airplane and surrounded by strangers for a week.  But it was nice for him to spend time with his grandparents and aunties and uncle, and despite his unusual level of clinginess/fussiness he was still the star of the show.  And DH and I did sneak away for dinner for my birthday (Christmas Eve baby myself!), which was nice.  Apparently DS is a perfect angel when I'm not there and only becomes a whiney leg-monkey for my benefit. Sheesh.  

Seemed like he learned so many new things while we were there, my sisters BF taught him to high-five and he is now obsessed with getting everyone to high-five him all the time.  He started signing a number of new things including grandma and grandpa.  :)  And he started saying "down", although it sounds more like "doh" and juice (again its just "juh").  This is a pretty big leap for a child that only had three spoken words before then.  The whole time we were there I kept thinking back to last year when he was basically a newborn still and marveling at how much has happened in a year.  And the year before that I wasn't even pg yet! Wow. 

Happy new year!

Isn't travelling with little ones the pits?  Glad that you all got to spend time with extended family... and got to have a date with your dh.  :)

#265 of 455 Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkintzel View Post

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this thread. DD was born Septembe 14, 2009. She doesn't have a ton of words. Her favorites are "this" and "more". Says them clear as day. She uses "this" when she wants something, in conjunction with pointing at the item. She uses more when she wants more food. She signs "drink" "more" and "done". She does use "da" for daddy.

She's walking ALL OVER the place. Running after her brother. (2.5 years). It is definitely hard to imagine that she's already over a year old, though she's my third so its not as mind-blowing as it was with the others.

Welcome to the group! 

#266 of 455 Old 12-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Welcome nkintzel!  Always happy to see more Sept 09 mamas and LOs. 

Dmitrizmom--yes, traveling was the pits.  What I'm really worried about is our plans to go overseas this spring. . .how in the heck am I going to entertain him on an airplane for 12 hours when 2 hours was hard????  In fact, we were thinking of travelling more than once this spring, but have changed our minds.  But DHs family is all far away and it doesn't seem right to NOT visit them.  It wasn't just that the airplane was torture either, DS was now old enough to be really aware of being someplace different. He was definitely affected negatively by being away from his routine and his home. . .and I can't exactly explain to him yet what's going on or that we will go back home soon. The date was nice though, it was only our 3rd one since DS was born.  I just haven't been comfortable with a non-family/friend babysitter yet. 

#267 of 455 Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the welcomes!

joy.gif

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#268 of 455 Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 AM

Happy post-holidays!!

Ah, so much I could babble about, personally, but what a snore that is. For a later date, definitely.

Rowan is So changed! We are a crazy household these days, and it's had it's ups and downs.

But just to mark a few changes...

- he finally is getting Real Hair!! His crazy curls in the back go half-way down his back when wet :-)

- Words are crazy! He says mao for cow/cat, virtually all animals

- just started saying Byeeeeeeee.... instead of just by-by... is now a big long word... Hiyeeee just as much (with smile)

- he understands Everything. Hands you everything "what is that?"... he finds and brings to you

- puts all technology up to his ear.. Hiyyyeeee... phones, monitors, remotes

- he wants to dress/undress himself and is getting really good at it... especially shirts

-  we were playing in the bathroom... he backed his butt inside the cabinet, scooched in, closed the cabinet door on him. Thought this was hysterical. He's started finding nooks and crannies of the house to explore (always butt-first)

- also in the same moment, Leg up, Whoosh, inside the bathtub! grabbed his toy, leg up, whoosh, outside of the tub! He hasn't actually done this WHILE having a bath, but it was amazing today that he'd figured how to get in & out (for not being much of a climber, I"m respectful that this was quite a feat)

- now has FOUR molars, two up-two down, while only still his two front bottom teeth in the front. So he still looks like a babe, until he starts chewing and you see those back teeth. Is this backwards? :-)

And (bc of daycare, I'm being told by many), he's also started biting and hitting. When he's unhappy, he wants to be picked up... I pick him up and the first thing his does is smack me in the face. Two weeks ago, he loved my feet. Now he BITES my feet. Now instead of kisses, he BITES my face. I'm Not happy about this. Why is this a "daycare" thing? I dunno. I need to talk to his teachers. I know he's been moved into the toddler group, even tho it doesn't normally start til 18months, but they thought he could handle it cause he's such a good and smart kiddo. Well, if they're biting and hitting.... um...

Fun times :-) He's becoming such a Person. There seems to be little left of "baby" in there :-(  Sad, in that aspect. But I'm loving the newly emerging person.

#269 of 455 Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 AM
tzs

kismet- i hear you on the traveling disorientation. we sometimes will just spend a night at someone else's house with ada in teh pack and play and it's 99% of the time a miserable night with tons of wakings. it used to be so easy until she hit 11 or 12 months when we were staying at a friend's house who could commiserate. i guess young toddlers are the toughest to travel with. babies...easy. older toddlers...easy. 

it just seems like there's this period of a couple years where your freedom is seriously compromised. there's the sleeping and routine thing and i've also started to be affected by the toddler carseat thing. ugh! in between a bucket and a booster it's like you can't be on the move. i used to just jump in the car with a friend who has a kid the same age and now we can't really just hang out like we used to because of the damned convertable carseats being such a pain to move. i don't even want to think about traveling with one!

jordan- i'm not so sure about the daycare thing. well, i can see it. it seems like toddler behaviors that pop up in my class are tried out at home for a few days by some other students. first there was the screaming phase, then the hitting phase, then the "no" phase. 

but on the other hand, when ada started having flail-on-the-floor tantrums, dh blamed it on daycare and seeing other kids do it but i have totally seen my friend's kid have some mega tantrums and he's never seen the inside of a daycare. so i think it's hard to tell what's developmental and what's imitation. 

but i do like to blame stuff on daycare though! it's an easy excuse, for sure. "ugh, she's not sleeping....daycare!," is my favorite!

#270 of 455 Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Wow. So hard to believe it's been a year already. My DD was born 9/22/09. She has been walking since 10.5 months old. Her words so far are 'uh-oh, thank you and here you go"  She likes to hand us our shoes when she knows we are about to leave the house to go somewhere and says "here you go" and it's so stinkin cute! :p  She also knows where to go in the kitchen if I ask her if she is thirsty, she runs over to the counter where her sippy cups are. If I ask her if she is ready to eat she runs to her high chair and tries to climb up in it. It amazes me how much a 15 month old can know!!! She still seems like this tiny little newborn in my mind (wish she still was most days).  My older two children (ages 15 and 8) really have enjoyed watching her grow this past year and enjoy seeing her learn new things.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page