It's Birthday Month! - Sept 07 mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kept us in toddlers. When do we "graduate" to The Childhood Years?

Mama to three  
#2 of 44 Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have fondant on the brain.
I need to find a picture of DD1's bday cake to see if that's what J means when she says she wants a princess cake. Hopefully it is, since I already bought a Barbie for in it.
She's getting a swing for in the house. We had DH's aunt pick one up from IKEA for us (it's three hours away.) It will go in the hallway. Sounds kinda weird, but it's just kids bedrooms and playroom down there, so She's also getting a Hanna dress I bought on sale last spring. It's long sleeve, so I held onto it...
DH bought me a greenhouse for our anniversary, or Mother's Day (same month). He finally (I don't mean that in a snarky way) made shelves for it so I've been planting in what containers I can find lying around. He also finally made lids for my cold frames. We've had the repurposed glass for ages, but the freeze that was forecasted for last Sunday lit a fire under him. Hopefully I have better fall/winter produce than I did summer I am hopefully optimistic about my parsnips, though, and I make an awesome parsnip soup
My dad has shingles. He got the blisters while he was backpacking. He came here to pick up my mom who we were babysitting, but pretty much high-tailed it out of here. I didn't know why. Then I got an email saying he has shingles, but the blisters were pretty much crusted over (sorry ) and he was barely here, and they're on his belly, so the kids likely won't get cp. I called them up and was like argh! I *want* them to get CP, I've been looking all over for it! Now he knows next time to come up immediately and expose my kids. Although he thinks I'm weird that I *want* them to get it.
Must go feed the smallish people...

Mama to three  
#3 of 44 Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 PM

I have fondant FOR a brain.

Spent the day cleaning the house in as there will be three viewings tomorrow. Sitll a lot to be done but I am hoping DH will chip in.

I was helping Yann wash his car sin the back yard, and somehow managed to trip over a ball and fall into the sand box which was full of water and sand. DH didn't see me fall but heard the splash and a yelp came to help me up. He didn't even ask if I was all right - just laughed. I don't think he realized that I fell from standing, but it really hurt my feelings. I have bruises on my shoulder, hip and calf.
#4 of 44 Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Hurray for birthday month!

Your gardening sounds like a lot of fun Jeanine!

I'm sorry you were hurt, Plaid Good luck with the viewings tomorrow!

You were probably following my morning shenanigans on FB. Perfect thing to make me feel like a lousy mom. I'm really glad both kids knew enough to go to the neighbor's house and stay together. My neighbor was very understanding about it, having a three year old and all, but her dad was visiting and pretty ticked. Andrew blamed me of course since everything that happens when he's gone to work is my fault, regardless of the fact that he left the chain lock undone and knows that Liam will leave the house if given the opportunity. I've set it up so that we have a special lock that activates when he leaves through the garage, but for some reason he decided to go out the front door this morning.

The hurricane is supposed to hit tomorrow night but I don't think we'll see much action here. Maybe a little bit of rain and wind. We have family pictures rescheduled for this Saturday. We're flying to NY on the 10th and then a football game on Saturday and Race for the Cure is Sunday. We're coming back on Monday.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 44 Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Children escaping (in the middle of the night, especially) is a HUGE fear of mine. I'm so glad they stuck together.

Mama to three  
#6 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 AM

I cannot get my life out of overdrive. I have given up on sleep and it is making me nasty and tearful.

Katie, I didn't see what happened. Can you fill me in?

Linus turned 3 today and I still haven't taken a breath or had dinner or even snapped a photo of him. I do not like being this busy or living in this big of a mess. Once laundry is done I may take a look at the kitchen.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#7 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINUS!

Sorry things are hard for you! I hope you all settle into a routine and that it gets easier! Take care of yourself and be easy on yourself.
#8 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Happy birthday Linus!!!!

JB. I do hope that things get easier and you find a moment to relax. My kids escaped out of the house Wednesday morning, and were luckily safe. I've put extra locks on the doors just in case, though they won't actually work unless DH acknowledges their use.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#9 of 44 Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Happy Birthday Roisin

#10 of 44 Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Happy Birthday Linus!!!!

Happy Birthday Roisin!!!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#11 of 44 Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 PM

oh, and I think we should move into childhood... my $0.02

JB I hope you get a break soon. Want to come for some nettle infusion?? It's super healthy and only mildly delicious

#12 of 44 Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Happy Birthday Linus!!

Happy Birthday Roisin!!

Really, we should be out of toddlers now? Wow . . . but I guess that Aili doesn't really "toddle" anymore. I see pictures and am just shocked by how big she looks. When I actually look at her, she still seems so little.
#13 of 44 Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Today is Liam's birthday. I'm going to try not to be a teary mess all day. I have to start making his cake in a bit. I wish we could do something really fun today, maybe after dinner we'll take them to the playground. I guess it'll be fun enough to go to NY this weekend to see all of his cousins.

I just wanted to say how proud I am of our DDC for sticking together for this long and keeping the monthly threads going. Very few continue on for this long and I'm beyond grateful for that. You're the best friends I wish I had in real life

#14 of 44 Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Happy Birthday Liam!!!!
#15 of 44 Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Happy Birthday Liam!!!!

Katie, your sentiments about our wonderful DDC are echoed by me.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#16 of 44 Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Happy Birthday, Liam!!!

and yeah that, about our DDC

#17 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

One day we all have to get together.

Mama to three  
#18 of 44 Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lost the thread! Even with the links I didn't get subbed.

Happy birthday to all the little ones who are already THREE!! Where has the time gone?

I need to get to bed... We have a field trip in the morning and then a late afternoon party for Judah (3) and Iain (6). I was sitting here working on goodie bags, only to discover I can't possibly finish them tonight. First, I realized I didn't buy enough stickers. Then, I opened the bouncy balls only to recoil from the stench of PVC. I started putting them in, anyway, as most of the parents won't care... but I was getting an awful headache from it and realized I just canNOT go against everything I believe in and use these things. So, in addition to taking balloons for inflation (which I totally forgot about until tonight), I also have to return all of the balls and hopefully find something else to finish the bags with *elsewhere*. Elsewhere because I already scoured that PVC-laden store for anything that might work. Sigh. And if I can't find anything, they'll have to make due with a packet of fruit crisps, a bottle of bubbles (real sized, not mini), lollipop, and sheet of themed stickers. There is a teacher supply just a couple doors down from the party store so I'm hoping they'll have something else appropriate for children 18months to 10 years old. But it's also probably not THAT big of a deal, even though I always want everything to be *perfect!*

I'm just hoping Judah will nap tomorrow between the museum and the party! I'm also praying fervently that the 30% chance of storms tomorrow (by some sites, 50% in the afternoon window) does NOT become a problem. I've said we'd relocate here, but would pretty much have to skip the entire morning part of our day to clean house and get everything ready. Besides, I don't have ANYthing planned for activities here. So hopefully the weather will hold and we'll have a nice time at a splash pool.

Should go throw some stuff in the wash and get to bed. So not thrilled with having to leave half-finished bags out until tomorrow, but, oh well.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#19 of 44 Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Party went well. Exhausted. Judah doesn't want to go to bed because he wants to play with toys. We had just a handful of families but it was a nice group and the kids all had a TON of fun at this splash pool. I almost dived in, too, and might've if I hadn't been wearing a NEW shirt.

It's weird to have the party now, 11 days between their birthdays. But we're DONE. Whew. And only one. But now we're on the countdown - 11 days till my little guy is THREE!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#20 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Heather, I'm glad the party went well

Chaya's birthday is tomorrow!

I just finished ironing 24 playsilks in 12 different colors. Whew. I should get them sorted and wrapped before bed but I think I may let this go.

Yom Kippur just ended, kids and DH are asleep.... we are going out to special birthday breakfast for Chaya tomorrow! Then MIL and I are taking her shopping for school shoes and then we'll come home to carrot cake (which I have to bake).

She started preschool and thus far it's been amazing. On her first day her teacher told her she had the choice of kissing me goodbye at the door, or having me come into class with her. The teacher barely got the words out of her mouth before Chaya was waving to me, blowing kisses and saying "bye mommy!!"

One of us cried

#21 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 AM

Sounds like things are going very well for you, Alicia! Happy birthday to Chaya! So glad preschool is going well. It's so awesome when they love it!

#22 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Happy Birthday Yann!

Happy Birthday Chaya
#23 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Happy birthday Yann and Chaya!

#24 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM

I haven't had much of a chance to update how things have been going since our NY trip.

The visit itself went well but I don't think my MIL really believes that my children can't have dairy. I caught her giving Liam something with butter on it, and she knows that I read every label before they eat anything so it makes me angry that she just doesn't care. We've talked in depth about how we can only really trust one brand of non-dairy butter prior to this, so not to give them anything else.

Andrew got in touch with someone in his Syracuse unit and found out that they'll only give him a 3 month position starting in JUNE, so he basically said this isn't going to work, I need a real job. Then he was told he was transfered to an Albany unit, and then told a few hours later than they didn't want him because they wanted to give the position to somebody currently in their unit. So he ended up in this limbo, imaginary unit. It's hard to describe, he's still technically in his Syracuse unit but not taking up a slot. He got in touch with someone else who forwarded him paperwork on how to get out of the national guard and go active duty. It has to be approved by his Syracuse unit of course, but given his current situation I think things are in his favor.

So now if they approve it, he has the option of seeing what positions exist elsewhere through his branch manager and then we'll be moving. Or, he can stay with his current unit and deploy next summer and they'll potentially give him a captain's slot that he's been wanting. He'll make captain this winter as well instead of having to wait until 2013, and the extra pay will come in handy.

Although I would be happy to get out altogether, I think this is the most viable option to ensure that he actually has a job. He wants more experience before he heads into the civilian world, and I can understand that.

Hopefully you were able to follow that

In Liam news, while we were visiting in NY he decided to play tackle football with his 4 year old cousin who isn't so much into it. I didn't see what happened, but apparently Liam ended up smacking his mouth on the back of his cousin's head and now has a loose front tooth. I'm waiting to see what happens and really hoping it doesn't fall out and will reset, it's still loose almost a week later but not as bad. He's sick with a cold today, as well, and I've picked up a touch of it.

#25 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Hope everrything works out for the best with Andrew's job, Katie.

Alicia- I am glad Chaya likes her preschool! That is bittersweet for mamas, though.

Yann had a good b-day. Loved his presents, learned how to pedal his tricycle, had a great time at the park.

The movers will be here Friday!

Just found out that three of my close friends and my cousin are pregnant. Feeling like I want to be pregnant, too!
#26 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Rachel - good luck with the moving! I have a friend in Kineton, Warwhichshire. Will you be nearby?

Katie - GL with the tooth! Sorry we missed you, I had been looking forward to a Zoo visit

Our neighbors downstairs have the official use of the backyard, though they never, ever, EVER use it. DH asked today if they minded if we put up a Sukkah for Sukkot and they were cool, so YAY for us. I'm hoping we can sleep in the Sukkah at least once this year. I think the kids will get a kick out of it. I know I will.

Today was a bit crazy. We had special breakfast, opened presents, went to the park, made cake, went to a book fair where we met all kinds of amazing authors and artists of children's books. We got The Lion and The Mouse, and Brontorina, and, Hook, and a ton of other books, all signed by the authors/illustrators

then dinner, cake, and more presents!

I hope you all are well. I dream of our weekend getaway when the kids are a bit older.

#27 of 44 Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 AM

Katie, that all sounds so crazy, but I'm glad he has options! How is the tooth doing? We had one pulled loose once and the dentist I called said just to watch it. It came out a few years later.

Plaid, I hope the move goes well! So glad the birthday was a fun one!

Alicia, sounds like a great day! A weekend getaway sounds fantastic! My DH was just saying tonight that he wishes we could find people who believe the things we believe about parenting and such. Someday, I'd love for him to meet more AP families! We know some, but HE doesn't know many other than mamaverdi's family. Anyway, whether it be a mama's getaway or a family trip, I'm in!

Judah's birthday is Monday and I'm still debating what to get for him! I have some die cast cars that he REALLY wants and I know he'll love. I also managed to snag a Bamboletta doll, though not specifically for his birthday - it was just by chance that I got one now. And, it probably won't be here in time, anyway. He is doing a lot of playing "baby" and such given we're in countdown for the new one (still 7-8 weeks, but still!) and so a doll sounds great... BUT he can't "birth" a 15" bambo doll quite as easily as the floppy green gecko he's been playing with. We actually have other baby dolls that he'd love but they're ALL packed. Except for his heavy baby I gave him last year whose arm got torn off. Anyway...

So I'm trying to figure out what to do, perhaps along the lines of something ACTIVE for him. He's a very active kid and can drive us bonkers! We have no backyard for them to play in and it's been scorching hot here for months so outdoor options are limited. He loved a gymnastics place we went to but it's too far away. Gymboree sounds fun but the big boys can't go (and would want to) and then baby's coming... So I'm thinking of maybe a big slide for indoors? Maybe a tumbling mat? Would he know what to do with it? Or one of those pop-up tunnel/tent things?

Thankfully we've rearranged such that they have a big playroom with floor space (since most things are in storage!) so I can handle something that I can fold up and put away even if it takes up a lot of space when it's out. I just need for him to have something to do other than riding his bike around the house and smashing into things whilst screeching loudly.

#28 of 44 Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM

Heather - I'm debating the same thing as you for Christmas. We need something for the kids to do inside when the weather is bad. Laine is constantly climbing as well. I'm thinking of some kind of tunnel/tent arrangement or maybe a slide like you suggested. I can't believe you have 7-8 weeks left, where did the time go?!

We're back at square one. He called his branch manager who in return sent him a one sentence email saying he could not go active duty unless he's a captain. The National Guard will not make him a captain until 2013, but he's SUPPOSED to make captain this December. They just have a different promotion schedule than active duty does. Someone else told him not to believe her, so we'll see what we find out. I found someone else who has experience working with her and is hopefully going to give us tips on sweet talking her. In other good news he passed his PT test this morning so there's one less thing to worry about

Tooth is still in but loose. He just needs to stop eating hard, crunchy stuff because I think that keeps it loose. He hates anything mushy for the most part so that's a difficult task.

Everyone except me is almost recovered from this cold or whatever it is we have. I didn't realize how sick I was until I fell asleep sitting up in a patio chair yesterday

#29 of 44 Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

The swing in our hallway is a huge hit. We got this one.

I think a family trip is a really really good idea. Where's halfway?

ETA: Katie, I keep meaning to ask DH about Liam's tooth, but by the time he gets home I forget about it.

Mama to three  
#30 of 44 Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM

I think Kansas is the middle of the country.... These are the state parks

but I'd be down for yellowstone, yosemite, zion, moab, etc.

and I would soo toooooootally go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page