May 09 - Falling into September! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to subscribe to the thread I started It's so nice to see some more of our original DDC mama's around here!

We went to NY last Friday and came home on Tuesday. Laine did fairly well during the plane rides, flying on JetBlue helps. Sleep has been awful for the last few weeks. I'm sure it's teething related. She wakes up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep, and she wakes up really early. Night weaning her is extremely slow going. She is a pleasant child as always, but the last 12 months of sleep have been a nightmare.

She weighs just under 20lbs. and has 9 teeth. 3 other molars are poking in and have been for a while. Her favorite word at the moment seems to be "butterfly". She loves pointing out planes in the sky and sings "row row row your boat", and can say "please" and "thank you" properly. She learns a lot of stuff from her brother. She's been in a convertible car seat since she was 4 months old, first her Britax and then we swapped it with a TrueFit. She's still rear-facing and will likely be that way until long after her second birthday.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#32 of 54 Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Everyone's kiddos are sooo cute! I can't believe our babies are almost a year and a half old. I'm already thinking about his next birthday party..lol

I've given up my fight on keeping AJ off the stairs. I will allow him to go up and down as long as I'm right there with him watching. He's done really well with climbing up on his hands and knees, and coming back down feet first on his belly and stepping down on foot at a time. A couple of times he's thought he was down all the way though and slid down the last step or two. Not enough to hurt him, but it's going to be a while before I let him do it unsupervised. Sweetie is not liking it at all though..lol He'd love it if we could just put AJ in a bubble. I just tell him that he's got to face it, our baby is growing into a little boy.

I just bought him his first pair of real shoes today! He wears a size 6! I got a bit irritated when I got home though because the lady checked the shoes in the box, but must not have known the difference between right and left, because I got 2 left shoes. Luckily I live a 5 minute drive from the store, so I took them back this evening and exchanged them.

We've got 6 teeth still..2 on the bottom and 4 on the top. His molars are super puffy though. We've had a few nights where he's acted like he's cutting a tooth, but nothing has come through. He hasn't acted like it bothers him lately. If the rest of his teeth are anything like the ones he has, they'll all come at once.

He's not saying much that we can understand yet. He will say, "Hi!" and Daddy, (It comes out more like daddit..lol) And he'll say "Wantit" when he wants something we have. We've also got Mommy, Yeah, and "doggit" for Doggy. Not sure why his D works end in It. lol

He's got a fun personality, but he's starting to tantrum big time. And when he does he smacks himself in the head, which I hate to see. Today he threw a fit complete with screaming and pounding his head because I'm a mean mommy and wouldn't let him stand on his ride-on train. I'm so mean for not wanting him to do that..lol
#33 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 AM

Hi everyone! Has been a long time since I've been able to check in here. Glad to hear that everyone is diong well, congrats to the expecting moms and new moms!!

DS is still small, we were referred to the paediatrician for FTT back in May and are avoiding a repeat visit by just not making our follow up appointment. My gut says that he is just fine and he's just on the skinnier side, like most of the family. He's active and happy and excelling at everything. This quote really struck home with me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
Yes! I'm embarrassed to think back on
how smug I was re: DD's laid back personality. DS opens doors, plays in toilets, pushes chairs up to the table to climb up onto it, esapes out the screen door and runs towards the road... SO different from DD!
DS is in LOVE with the toilet. SO GROSS!!! He climbs and runs and throws things and is just so mischevious, nothing like his well-behaved older sister was at this age. He's not doing much talking yet, but he certainly is able to get his point across with a big of grunting and signing. So far all he really says is "up", "out" and "yep". Not even mama or dada.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#34 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM

So much to catch up on! Just wanted to pop in and say hi!

Katie - what about JetBlue makes it easier to fly with kiddos? DH wants to visit his family (so... first flight for Olivia would be from Portland, ME to Portland, OR! I'm anxious just thinking about it) so I've been wondering what the best way to plan all of this is...

Olivia has 8 teeth all the way through, 2 molars chipped through and the rest not far behind. It seems that she chips a bit of a tooth through, and then it recedes back into the gums (or the gums swell over it). Seems like she is the worlds slowest teether! Poor bug.

Words, we're still working with a lot of the same ones, although she is really into identifying animals by their sounds.

She is super needy right now, I think it has to do with her teeth. So that's been a little exhausting. She has also grown a lot in the past couple months (she was 3.5 inches longer between 12month appt & 15 month appt!) so she's 31 inches and almost 22lbs.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#35 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

JetBlue has TV's in the seatbacks. I realize not everybody likes TV but when I'm flying with children I'll use any distraction I can get to make it easier. Plus you don't have to pay for your bags and they're just all around much nicer to families than any other airline I've flown on. The seat space is also bigger and the bathrooms are bigger. Every time we've flown they've automatically given us an extra seat next to the parent with the lap baby at no charge, that may depend on how much space is on the plane, though. I will never fly with another airline unless I absolutely can't get somewhere with JetBlue.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#36 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and I think Laine has come down with something She woke me up really early this morning and had diarrhea on the potty and is still sleeping right now. TGIF and that daddy has a half day today.

#37 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Oh - I hope Laine doesn't come down with anything.

Pics - what cute pics and such cute babies. You can almost see their personality come through.

Question: My PP aunt flo hasn't visited yet. Anybody else in the same boat?.
#38 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 PM

I love everyone's pics! I just can't get myself organized enough to put pics on the computer, upload them to photobucket, & then post links. Too many steps! But one of these days, it'll happen.

Luke is putting together more and more short sentences and phrases. He says "Bye-bye, mama/dada" all the time and today, DH left the apartment and Luke pointed to the door and said, "Dada? I don't know!" I think that's his version of "Hey, where did Dada go?"

He's going through some separation anxiety right now, but overall, he still separates pretty easily, considering how little time he's spent with baby-sitters or really, anyone other than me & DH. I do worry sometimes that he's not attached enough to me because when we leave him with the sitter, he just waves & then heads off to show her his toys

Today's my birthday, so we're going to the beach for the weekend! It will be Luke's first trip to the "real" beach (as opposed to a lake beach), so we're pretty excited! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#39 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Happy Birthday Novus! (belated a bit) Hope you had a great day at the beach!

Katie - I will definitely look into JetBlue when we fly then. Olivia has literally zero interest in tv (it's actually kind of weird, I watch the news in the morning and we turn the tv on in the evening, and she completely ignores it... unless there is a commercial with a good song and then she dances). But I think being cooped up on a plane for the 5-7 hours it'll take us to get to the West Coast might need some distraction! We haven't actually even planned this trip yet, and it already causes me great anxiety. I want DH's family to see Olivia, and they are all afraid of flying! Otherwise I'd just ask DH to go by himself, because the flight is SO long and I don't know how Olivia will react.

Anyhow, hope Laine isn't getting sick! Could the diarrhea be related to teething? (wishful thinking!)

Potty - Olivia has been pretty obsessed with it since we got it around 11-12 months, and recently she's started acknowledging when she's peeing. I had no plans to start potty learning, but we keep it in the bathroom and I let her sit on it whenever I'm in there or before she takes a bath. A few nights ago, DH was giving her a bath and she grabbed his hand, walked over to the potty, and went pee! Since then she's gone on it a few times, mostly I'm not fast enough to get her dipe off and put her on, but throughout the day she leads me into the bathroom and she will pee a little, or have just peed in her diaper.

Olivia doesn't really say many phrases, though she uses a couple signs together to get her point across. A lot of her words still sound similar, and I think the inability to communicate is often frustrating for her. Tantrum wise, things are worlds better here. She went through a rough patch from about 12-14 months, but recently has been more easily distracted and/or redirected.

PP AF - yes I think I've had mine... I have an IUD so it's really difficult to tell. At my one year check with my mw's, we discussed and determined that I'd probably had it (I don't get hardly any bleeding w/ the IUD, and it's really sporadic... I also don't keep track )

#40 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 AM

We used to be a talkative bunch. What happened?
#41 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 AM

^^ Our babes turned into toddlers and started stealing the mouse and keyboard anytime we sat down at the computer

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#42 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM

Hi All,

Yup,Olivia loves the keyboard and mouse. She somehow can start up a game of Hearts. At a friend's house in less than a minute she did something on the keyboard and it said 'cannot delete system folder' by the time I got to her. We gave her her own unattached keyboard.

Olivia doesn't like the tv either unless there are small children on it, like Sesame street, then she walks to the tv and looks up at it and watches it. She loves the DVD Poetry which is fantastic. It was an HBO presentation and nanny found it at the library and I bought it off of amazon.

Olivia finally cut her 5th tooth and it's a molar!? She has her front four and then the top right molar. No teeth in between. We see a 6th one coming soon on the top left, next to her big tooth.

I love the pictures and have fun with Shutterfly. I'm planning on a book a year complete with story lines and text so it's taking awhile. Plus I'll wait until they put them on sale which they seem to do regularly.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#43 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Ahh, finally, a day that isn't 95 degrees! Of course, it's raining instead...

I keep saying Luke is teething, but I really think he might get to college with 6 teeth and bumpy gums.

TV--he's not too interested either. He will watch for long enough for me to trim his nails though, which is all I really need from him.

Computer--whenever I have the laptop out, he comes over and asks to see pictures of rabbits on it. So, uh, yeah, not much message board posting over here except during naps.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#44 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Yup, I can only post during naps now, too. Olive has learned how to climb onto the dining room table chairs, so she'll climb up me like a monkey if I sit here while she'd rather I be playing with her.

Plus I'm teaching now, as of this fall, so every moment of computer time I have, I'm desperately trying to prep my lectures. I'm always only half a step ahead of my students these days!!!

And, of course, a new teaching schedule means the house is falling apart around me. How did my parents ever both work full-time AND raise me and my brother AND keep the house so clean???? I'm befuddled... I can barely manage to get canned soup and toast on the table for dinner most days.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#45 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I.just.want.sleep.

Laine slept on me in the recliner from 9 until midnight last night. She wouldn't let either of us lay with her to put her to sleep and she didn't want me to put her down. She's still waking up every 2 hours, and then somehow manages to get up at 7am. I can hold off on nursing her until 5am or so but she still wakes up. I really can't believe I've been doing this for an entire year and somehow survived.

On Sunday she and Liam were chasing each other up and down the hallway and somehow he tripped and smacked his head on the corner where two walls come together. We ended up spending a few hours in the ER for that one and came home with a staple in the head. Having her antagonize him adds a whole new dimension to danger.

She too has started climbing and knows how to open my computer and play on it so I have to keep it up high. She is also turning into miss attitude and we get lots of "no, don't!" but she's getting a kick out of using her "thank you's" and "welcome" too.

#46 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Katie--sleep issues suck! Sorry you're not getting the rest you need.

Luke has been climbing on everything, too. His current favorite activity is to climb up on the very top shelf of his play kitchen and then yell, "Stuck!" I'm terrified that one of these days, he's going to tip the whole thing over on himself & his one-year-old friend, who spends the days with us.

Both of them are napping right now and there's a very.loud.truck right outside the window. I mean, is it really necessary to be moving washers & dryers during naptime? I think not.

#47 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post
How did my parents ever both work full-time AND raise me and my brother AND keep the house so clean????
I used to wonder this too. I have 3 sisters, and I always remember the house being clean, healthy meals on the table each night etc. I was feeling so incompetent at everything. Then I realised that my memories aren't from when I was toddler, they're from when I was a young teenager. For all I know, our house was total chaos when I was young and needing lots of hands-on parenting. And I'm guessing that parenting gets less physically demanding by that stage, freeing up some time to do some of those domestic type tasks.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#48 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Hey mamas, just wanted to check in again. Olivia and I have been sick, so we've been dealing with that for the past week. It's brought on some real ups and downs, at times she can be seriously cranky and has even hit me a couple times to get my attention. Not sure where this is coming from or where she had ever seen it before, someone just assure me it's normal toddler behavior! I had a hard time not getting teary-eyed, as it hurt my feelings! I have to remember she's not doing it for that reason, but just wants me to play with her (or whatever it is) and can't verbalize it yet.

I feel like I don't have as much time to get things done around the house either, and I'm a SAHM right now! I've done some WAH in the past, but at the moment there isn't anything for me to do. I think a big contributor to this is DH has been working 3pm-3am full time the past couple weeks (usually his shift is 3pm-11pm, he's covering half of another shift)... so that means he sleeps until 11:30am-noon and then has to leave for work before 2pm. I don't mind doing the housework, but it is really helpful to have him around to watch Olivia, otherwise she must be doing whatever I'm doing 100% of the time.

Anyone else still have a toddler who is super shy? Olivia tends to take a long time to warm up to people, and would never go to someone she didn't know at all. In fact, old women seem to scare her whenever we're in a store! If she's not in my or DH's arms she'll even cry sometimes. I was a super-shy kid, so I'm hoping it's something she'll grow out of a bit and won't necessarily be as shy as I was. Not to mention... I can't imagine what it would be like if I wanted to go back to work, I don't think I could leave her with someone else without her freaking out.

#49 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Laine hits too, quite often in fact. She hits Liam more than me and I think a big part is getting his attention or when he has something she wants. I definitely discourage hitting to communicate, it's far easier to explain that to a 2-3 year old than a one year old though because at least at that age you can explain what words to use in place of hitting. She has more of a tendency to scratch me (as in lash out at my face) randomly.

Liam never had any stranger anxiety and would walk up to strangers and ask them to pick him up, made for some interesting experiences in public. Laine, on the other hand, is very shy. She takes a little while to warm up to adults but gravitates to other kids easily.

I think the fact that we can't remember the state of our own homes when we were small children should be a big reassurance not to be too hard on ourselves as parents, after all, our children will be the last people to judge us

#50 of 54 Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Em doesn't hit (yet, probably, I hear it's a phase they all tend to go through), but she will get frustrated and push things away. Like, I'll offer her a bottle of milk and she'll get mad and shove it back in my face, that type of thing. I'll say "be gentle" but try to understand that it must be frustrating not being able to tell someone what you want.

I'm SOOOO ready for her to be verbal. I'm not "worried" about it because she shows all good signs: varied babble, a few words (at this point "sock" is big), nonverbal communication (including shaking head "no" and nodding "yes"), and definite comprehension of language-- she understands most of what you say to her. So it's not so much that I'm worried that she won't talk, just impatient, haha. Especially as she's 17 months and so many kids are talking so much more now. She won't even say "mama" or "dada"-- if I say "where's daddy?" she'll point at him, "where's mama?" she'll grin (thinking I'm being silly) and point at me, she'll point at herself for "Emma". But not a peep. *sigh* I reckon I just have to be patient, likely one day she'll just start talking.

She's also a bit shy / stranger anxiety... she's fine with people she knows well (me, her dad, my mom, mil, my sister) but except with my husband and I, she still takes a moment to "warm up" to people. Once she feels secure with them she's fine and will let other people pick her up, etc., but they can't just rush in and pick her up right away. I did have to leave her for a few days when I was in the hospital giving birth to her brother, and my MIL and my mom took turns staying here in the house with her. She did come visit every day (I was in there two days), but she did really well with them. I think it helped that she was in her regular environment, and I left ridiculously detailed notes of when she eats and what, when she naps, etc., so her routine was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
I think the fact that we can't remember the state of our own homes when we were small children should be a big reassurance not to be too hard on ourselves as parents, after all, our children will be the last people to judge us
Uh, that doesn't help me, rotfl, because my mom was literally Super Woman. She was a single mom after my parents divorced when I was about nine years old (at the time, my older sister was 11, and my little brother was 4). She worked literally every day (two jobs) because my dad never paid child support. She cooked dinner every night for us. And the house was always SPOTLESS. I can just assume at this point that she didn't sleep, because she would stay up cleaning all night. Now, partly this is because she has some type of cleaning disorder, but it kind of gives me an inferiority complex, rotfl.

But yeah, I'm struggling a bit right now to keep things under control. Because I grew up in such a clean house, it is really hard for me to focus or concentrate when things are messy. But with the newborn, the toddler (both in cloth diapers which just adds another thing to do every day), and us being broke as hell so I have to do a lot of money-saving stuff like cooking everything from scratch... I'm a bit worn out. The only time I ever get to relax is sitting at the computer nursing the baby.

I did join a "meet up" group for SAHMs. We've only had one playdate so far but everyone seemed kind of cool, we're meeting up again on Friday. It's nice to get out of the house once in a while and interact with other real live adults, haha.

Some pics:

Playing with sand/water table:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../091810058.jpg

Naps with daddy:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../091810029.jpg

New little man:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../091810049.jpg

"finish nursing him and come play with me"
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../092810013.jpg

Hanging with the stuffed animals
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../092810009.jpg

In the babyhawk
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../092810006.jpg

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#51 of 54 Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Uh, that doesn't help me, rotfl, because my mom was literally Super Woman. She was a single mom after my parents divorced when I was about nine years old (at the time, my older sister was 11, and my little brother was 4). She worked literally every day (two jobs) because my dad never paid child support. She cooked dinner every night for us. And the house was always SPOTLESS. I can just assume at this point that she didn't sleep, because she would stay up cleaning all night. Now, partly this is because she has some type of cleaning disorder, but it kind of gives me an inferiority complex, rotfl.

But yeah, I'm struggling a bit right now to keep things under control. Because I grew up in such a clean house, it is really hard for me to focus or concentrate when things are messy. But with the newborn, the toddler (both in cloth diapers which just adds another thing to do every day), and us being broke as hell so I have to do a lot of money-saving stuff like cooking everything from scratch... I'm a bit worn out. The only time I ever get to relax is sitting at the computer nursing the baby.
That's pretty much an accurate description of my childhood, only my mother was the exact opposite and NEVER cleaned. Literally, she never cleaned. I'm also pretty sure she's a closet hoarder because she never throws anything out but she stores it all out of sight. That pretty much turned me into a clean freak from a very young age I was at my worst during the deployment since I really had nothing to do at night but clean, it took some adjusting on my part to lighten up.

It takes some time to figure out what works for managing the house when you have little ones, it gets easier when the littlest is older and can entertain themselves or be entertained by a sibling. I think it's all a matter of focusing on what absolutely needs to be done until then and letting the rest work itself out. The frugality and finances forum has a lot of time and energy saving tips that I use, especially when it comes to cooking. Getting out of the house is also a REALLY good idea.

I love all your pictures, especially the one of Em napping on the couch

#52 of 54 Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm glad to hear the hitting is a normal/stage-type thing. I had figured as much, but it's a little different when it's your own DC I guess! It seems she does it when she wants my attention, often it's a playful thing so I think she doesn't quite understand that. If I say "no hitting", she just ignores the "no" part and hits! I'll have to work on saying "be gentle" more often (I try to remember but sometimes the hits surprise me). She doesn't do it very often, and is easily redirected afterward when I tell her "you can get mommy's attention with hugs or kisses or snuggles" and she gives me a kiss instead.

I'm certainly seeing the potential benefits of having a sibling to entertain your littlest! We aren't planning for #2 at this point, but Olivia seems to require a lot of attention right now, which is difficult. We've been sick the past week or so, seems like if it's not that, it's teething, or something else

I remember my house being very clean and organized growing up. I tend to be a bit of a neat freak when it comes to cleaning (though I can be a bit disorganized) so I've started encouraging Olivia to help me do it, which has been helpful. When I vacuum, her "job" is to dust the living room. She loves it, and actually gets upset if I try to put the dishes away without letting her help!

Oh and love the pictures Kelly! Very sweet!

#53 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Hi All - just checking in.

Kelly - I love the pictures and good job on your new addition.

Olivia will be 17 months old soon. She's grown so much over the summer. She bit me last Wednesday and it really took me by surprise. She left marks but didn't break the skin. She hasn't done it since. I hope it was just an experiment that's over already.

I'm trying to figure out sizes. She's in 18 month clothes now. How old/big do kids have to be for 2T?

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#54 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

New October Thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page