Experienced mamas: One-piece snowsuit AND a winter jacket? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where best to post this so it might end up x-posted, but if I get DS a one-piece snowsuit for playing outside this winter would I regret not getting a separate winter jacket for him too?

I wouldn't use the jacket in the car (planning on getting a fleece jacket for him to wear for car trips), and as I said he'd have his snowsuit for playing outside but are there times I'm not considering where we'd want just a winter jacket for him?

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM

I think I'm going to go with just a 2 piece snowsuit for my 2yr old dd. I guess it depends on how much snow you get but I find there aren't that many really snowy days here around Toronto. As long as she has a really good pair of bib style snow pants then I find the 2 piece works really well. Then again she will be playing outside more this year for longer periods than she did at 1.5. The one thing I'm really looking for & having trouble finding is snow pants with really nice long liners that tuck into their boots, I hate to see her bare little ankles always exposed as the pants ride up.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#3 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For times that you don't need the full snowsuit you're not likely to be outside for very long so using layers would likely be just fine.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM

What we did last winter and plan to do again is snowsuit for playing in the snow, fleece jacket for in and out of the car errands and kept a down vest in the car for over the fleece if we were going to be outside for a longer period of time. It seemed to work just fine for a New England winter.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Last year we did a 2-piece snow suit, and we did use just the jacket portion pretty frequently -- mostly for walks or if we were going somewhere outside for an hour or two... I felt like the full snowsuit would've been overboard for a typical cold day here, so we really only used it in the snow, and there were times when the fleece alone wasn't quite enough so I was glad we had a 2-piece. But it's colder in CA than here so maybe you could get by with a 1-piece!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My kids used their jackets pretty often last year, when it's not snowing, or when we are running errands, they need something to wear outside, but not a full suit. I think you could get a lighter jacket and layer underneath.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#7 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
mlh

We like the 2 piece set up. We not only use the winter jackets separately, but we also like to use the snow pants without the jacket on those warm snowy spring days....

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#8 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I much prefer just having a jacket and pants. We have one piece suits but I would have buy one new, they were given to us. I certainly couldn't get by without just a jacket, we use it all the time for walks, etc... when you don't need an entire snowsuit.
]

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 PM

We have 2 one-piece snowsuits for each of the kids, and then several pairs of bibs, and several jackets. The 1-piece suits are definitely warmer, which is a plus. They are also quicker to get on, so that's what DD will take with her to school so she doesn't have to mess with two zippers.

CPST & mom

#10 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM

I definitely like having a snowsuit and a winter jacket. Whether it's snowpants paired with the jacket or else a one piece snowsuit and separate jacket. It can get way too cold here and I wouldn't feel comfortable with DS just in a fleece if we were outside for any extended period of time.

We like The Children's Place 3 in 1 jackets. The fleece jacket is really nice.

Mama to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page