toddler sleep question - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I feel a little desperate about our toddler's sleep situation and am looking for some advice/encouragement. In short, DS was a champion sleeper from birth always - we never sleep trained him and don't believe/do in CIO. We did end up putting him in his own room because he was sleeping so well at night by himself. This was wonderful for 9-10 months but then DS started having really bad allergic reactions (biphasic ana reactions which are really scary at night) so I started sleeping w/him more in his room (we had an extra bed we put in there) I would lay down w/him until he fell asleep and go back to our room or whatever I was doing if it was early (like cleaning the kitchen).

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago - DS just turned 2, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and co sleeping w/DS has been progressively getting difficult and uncomfortable for me. He insists on sleeping directly on my left shoulder only w/my left arm wrapped around him, if I move my arm he wakes up and won't go back down for a while. He's almost 36 lbs and it kills my arm and makes my whole back sore - plus he started getting up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours (usually between 1-4)

I decided it was time for a toddler bed, we're not CIO or anything, I sit w/him until he falls asleep and then leave - but I'm sleeping less - it's been a week and a half in the toddler bed, he goes in it w/no problems, doesn't want to rock w/me and generally seems to like the bed. As SOON as I leave he wakes up. Last night he feel asleep early because he didn't nap (that's prob. another post) and woke up just as I was going to sleep - I was up until 4 am when I finally just brought him into our bed (which really isn't big enough for the 3 and half of us)

Will he get better about sleeping in his bed? I would hate to back track and do this whole thing again after the baby comes and have him feel like it's about the baby and his displacement BUT I was up a total of 22 hours yesterday and can't do that either. FWIW, we are on top of his allergies and in a generally good place w/them.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what if u try putting the toddler bed beside your bed until he is used to it.
#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any way your SO could help with some of the nighttime parenting? I know that with DS, it helps to kind of tag-team him--there are some nights when it's easier for me to get him to sleep & some nights when it's easier for DH.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page