2 yr old rainy day activities? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The weather is changing and I'm at a loss for what to do when we can't just roam around all day outside. My DD is almost two and happiest being very active: running, jumping, climbing, etc. We have a tiny house so not much room for this kind of thing inside. We will still take a walk every day, but she doesn't like the playground when it's cold and wet, and one walk is a far cry from the 3+ we've been taking all summer.

Help us avoid going stir crazy and/or resorting to the computer... what are your toddler's favorite things to do inside?

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#2 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM

HA! I noticed this thread and thought, oh I should tell E. to look here.

Anyway... we had a horrible heat wave this summer that kept us indoors for about six weeks, here's some of the things we did:
  • Play-Doh
  • Finger painting
  • Cooking (or pretend cooking with some dry rice or beans in a bowl with a spoon. She likes to play with wet quinoa in the kitchen, too.)
  • SOFA FORT!
  • Reading
  • Playing the matching game
  • Puzzles
  • DRESS UP!
  • Look at old photo albums.
  • Chores. She loves helping with laundry (she pulls everything out of washer and puts into the dryer - with a lot of guidance -while I'm folding clothes. She likes to help dust or sweep, too. )
  • We make a (lame) slide out of sofa cushions and an armchair. Whee.
  • Sticker books.
  • DANCE!
  • Play with dollies or stuffed animals
  • Invite friends over to play or visit.

We also would go to the children's museum, the art museum near our home, some of the indoor zoo exhibits, and even visited the indoor play area at a fast food joint (I detest fast food, though) and tried on all the hats at Macy's in the mall a few times. Not sure if you want to get out in the rain to go somewhere, though.

Highlights magazine has a magazine for 2-3 yos called High Five. She likes these a lot. The last one she got had a simple card game in it (Birthday Party game) that she loves to play. There may be sites online that can show you how to make your own little board games for toddlers or perhaps you could make up toddler-friendly rules for a board game you already have? Calla loves to play with our travel sized Scrabble set.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM

subbing

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I will definitely enjoy hearing suggestions! We also had a terribly hot summer and these are some things that we did on the weekends (DS goes to daycare during the week so I don't have a huge list):
  • Lots of reading
  • Helping cook - I can't make anything now without my little helper dragging out the step ladder.
  • Looking at photos
  • "Camping" under the table - I cover it with a sheet and pull out a flashlight
  • Coloring with crayons - I cover the coffee table with huge sheets of paper and we take turns drawing things
  • Helping wash dishes - again, the step ladder comes out and DS plays in the sink with soap and a big spoon.
  • Building with blocks - this can go on for quite a while, actually

We also have a membership to our aquarium and a children's museum. We get our money's worth!

We do get out in the rain quite a bit. It's a mess, but DS has a pair of rain boots that he loves and we just go out and stomp in puddles, getting completely muddy. It requires an immediate trip to the tub, but it really is so fun.
#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Over the last few naptimes, I've created a list of every single drop-in (mostly) free activity I can find within a short walk or drive. We live in the country so it wasn't easy but I came up with a surprisingly long list! Library story times, playgroups, toddler-only swims, museum craft time, that sort of thing. I've made a weekly schedule that I can refer to at a glance if we wake up, see crappy weather and still just need to get out. Another hit especially if I need a consumer fix is Ikea. It tends to be pretty kids-running-crazy friendly. And the best thing I've discovered lately is a farm museum with lots of indoor barn activities so it doesn't matter if it's raining when we go.

If we would prefer not to get in the car, cooking is awesome. Rainy days are perfect for trying out more complex recipes that require time. My DS will gladly taste test the afternoon away with me as he stands at the counter on his step stool. I also keep old boxes to open up for giant colouring projects.

Generally, I can turn just about any boring adult chore into a toddler game so I usually take advantage of a rainy day to do something lame like clean out the pantry - DS can make tin can pyramids as I wipe down the shelves. This afternoon we're going to be rearranging the furniture in his room. Sounds boring but I'm sure we'll find some long lost toys behind the bed and that'll make him very happy for a good chunk of time, and he'll be very happy to help push stuff around. Brushing the dog is also a good "chore" that can be made fun.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page