What is your 2 year old into? (toys and such, especially boys) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christmas and DS's 2nd birthday are a few months away. We have a number of consignment sales in our area coming up, so I would love to pick up gifts there if possible. He loves trucks, and has just discovered Legos (the Duplo size). I'm looking for some other new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 PM

-Melissa & Doug makes these fabulous cardboard "bricks" in primary colors and varying sizes that DS loves.

-Sand/water table though it might be getting too cold for that soon

-Homemade play-dough (recipes)

-xylophone

-Plan Toys concertina (super annoying but he adores it)

-simple inflatable balls to roll around the house, throw at things, toss into buckets, etc.

He has a ton of fancy expensive toys that he's been given over the last few years, but they tend to be neglected in favor of the simple things--playdough, blocks, balls, and weird stuff he finds outside. For awhile, his absolute favorite toy was a half-full plastic water bottle. Such fun to roll around and slosh and shake!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 AM

Melissa and Doug train set
Magnets for the fridge
Paints

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#4 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD is 2 (3 in Dec). She loves playing kitchen, LOVES playsilks, blocks, painting, and musical instruments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Me [24]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DP [25] out & proud!
Mama to DD1 2007 DD2 2009 DD3 2012
TTC #4
as the "other" mother
3/2015: Home ICI - BFN
On a break - Trying again: late April 2015
#5 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM

DS (24 months) loves his wooden train tracks and trains; books; balls of all sorts; Melissa and Doug velcro cutting food; puzzles; and stuffed animals, dolls and figurines for playing pretend with. He also loves detailed cars, trucks, and other vehicles of the Bruder/Playmobil sort, but he doesn't have any of these yet.
#6 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds is loving trains, trucks & boats right now - any size or type. Books are usually popular. Balls - again, any size or type but especially the medium sized bouncy balls. For his birthday we are considering getting him a tool set & some of those set-ups with the nails & bolts in them that he can pound & turn (we are always doing renos around here so he's in love with tools). Bikes, trikes, wagons, ride-ons are also all popular.

Very recently ds is starting to show some interest in dolls (up until now he has looked at them quite warily) & if that continues I'm going to look for an anatomically correct boy doll.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM

DS loves his play kitchen, ANYTHING with wheels, his push wagon, anything that makes music (shakers, xylophone, flute, whistle, harmonica, keyboard, drum) and this little M&D penguin push toy. He also adores cups of water that he can pour into other cups. I'm thinking of a tea set for his birthday, to get him away from my brown betty teapot!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#8 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM

My 23 m/o is into Elmo, dogs, trucks, pots and pans, cooking, octopi (is that the plural of octopus?), stickers and balloons. I just bought a bunch of punch balloons with strings and stickers for her birthday next month and Christmas.

obstruct livery vehicles

#9 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Shopping cart
Any type of vehicle (trains, cars, ships etc)
Stacking/organizing type toys (like shape sorters)
Kitchen
Foam sword

We got ours a strider balance bike and he loves it.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#10 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
DS was into cutting food (plan toys veg and fruit, now meat) but not into play kitchen in general, wild for duplo (make sure to get the big play mat if you don't have it, little people, little animals, and a tunnel-- you can get decent deals on ebay and it lasts forever), played some with wooden bocks, four elements from spiel and holz, little animals from schliech (first farm, then dinosaurs at the end of the year), and towards the middle and end of the year wild for train tracks and little plan toys people). The animals + people + four elements and/or tracks makes for a might combonation. Also, loved puzzles (100 pieces!).
#11 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

These are all awesome ideas, but you know what is nuts? We have almost all of this stuff. It is so hard to find new things for a second kid! All of the basics have already been covered for my older DS. Trains, kitchen, instruments, balance bike, etc. You name it, we probably have it.

One thing we don't have is basic blocks, like the bigger standard unit blocks. But I wonder if he'd play with them. He'll play with the duplo all day long right now. I'm sure I'll end up adding to the collection.
#12 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM

ds really enjoyed the dress up clothes and the bead maze and the monster truck he got for his 2nd b-day last month

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#13 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM

My boy at that age was into anything with wheels, but especially trains. He also loved books and was always bringing something to me to read to him. We had Megabloks (really big ones) for him at that age which he enjoyed using to make big towers and such. He also thought wooden puzzles, shape sorter and bead mazes were interesting.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page