Mothering Forum banner

what does your toddler drink?

2K views 50 replies 47 participants last post by  MadiMamacita 
#1 ·
DD still (17mo) mainly drinks BM (from me, not a cup) for most of her liquids. But I do give her a sippy with water of water with a tiny splash of juice for flavor (like 1/8 the cup) or in the summer, coconut water.

I've offered her cows milk once, and rice milk (the classic Rice Dream one without the synthetic vitamins) once. She gives it one or two sips but then didn't seem crazy about it, so I never offered her another milk type thing again. This seems to be very different from all my friends LOs who drink cups of either cow, goat, rice, or hemp milk daily.

I'm interested in this. My only objection to "milks" is that I don't like when they have synthetic vitamins added. That's why I never tried hemp milk with her, all the ones I find in the store always have extra vitamins added to them. I'd like to make my own but just don't have time (you all know how it is with a toddler.)

I'm curious what types of drinks others give to their LOs. I'd like some new ideas for variety to see if she would enjoy a "milk" or other drink that's not water in her cup sometimes.

#3 ·
DS is 21 months. He drinks water, and nurses. Every once in a while I'll add a splash of juice, but it is seriously no more than a teaspoon. I just do it because he begs for it, and that little teeny splash makes him happy. He has tried soymilk and coconut milk, but doesn't seem to be a big fan.

#9 ·
milk
water
yogurt smoothies

and a few times he has had juice

OH his 18yr old brother introduced him to chocolate milk.. it was organic from a local farm but still... I was like whats in Jack's cup. Answer.. Chocolate milk. he really likes it

#10 ·
My son is only 14 months old, so very early in the 'toddler' phase. He mostly drinks human milk right 'from the tap'. He also drinks water and occasionally I put a teeny splash of apple juice in his water.

#11 ·
Water, breastmilk, homemade smoothies (yogurt, cow's milk, and fruit- no sweeteners). Just that. She'll have cow's milk sometimes but not always and normally DH has to give it to her. I wish she'd drink more because she's been nursing NON-STOP lately and I really need a break!

#13 ·
My toddlers like:

Water
Water with a splash of no sugar added juice
Milk, when I remember and sometimes with a smidge of chocolate in it
Once in a great while, like once a month, a sip of soda when we go to Sams club.

But mostly just water and they are happy. They like it cold too!

#14 ·
My now 4-yo still only drinks water. Maybe once every 3-4 months she'll have a half a glass of chocolate rice milk, but she doesn't drink any juice or other milks, or tea, or anything other than water. She just last year started liking 100% juice homemade popsicles, and just this year started eating homemade jello from juice and gelatin.

She nursed to 22 months.

She started pre-K this month and I told the teacher that she only drinks water, so to not bother offering her juice or milk, and she looked at me like I had 8 heads.
: Most people who learn the info from being with her are impressed and positive about it beign the best drink out there anyway.

#15 ·
breastmilk from the tap
water.

She gets tastes of other drinks when I have them but I rarely have anything besides water. Usually just coconut water or smoothie. I DO have a cup of coffee many mornings but I'm not willing to give her a taste of that quite yet. Her daddy has given her tastes of sweet tea, soda and once, a sip of beer (of which he should know not to do again for QUITE some time)

She has access to my boobs 24/7 and has access to her sippy from wake up til bedtime so I figure she doesn't need any other drink. I just try to make sure she eats relatively healthy.

I would give her smoothies too but I haven't gotten into the habit of making them much yet. I don't really consider smoothies a drink however, especially mine. They are filled with foods that just happen to be pureed so the juices come out. Mine are really thick since I don't add much liquid on top of that. They are definitely the 'spoon' rather than the 'straw' variety haha

#16 ·
Whole cow's milk (raw is illegal where I live)
Water
Juice 50/50 with water a couple of times a week.

We didn't introduce juice until she was nearly 2. I am still not a fan, but am ok with her having it a couple of times a week. I cringe when I see toddlers drinking juice all day long.

#20 ·
Water and nothing but. He weaned himself at about 20 months because I was pregnant and my milk dried up completely. I've tried giving him unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk for calcium and calories but he seems to just prefer water, which is fine with me. He's 22 months.

#23 ·
My DD is 16 months. She drinks tons of water and breastmilk, of course.. I have just recently started giving her organic whole milk, and she will drink it sometimes. No juice..she did try my coffee the other morning though! She didn't care much for it.. haha

#24 ·
My 15 month old son has lots of food allergies, so we stick to breastmilk, water, and smoothies made from fruit only (a whole banana plus a handful of frozen blueberries is his favorite).

#25 ·
Wow, after scanning through the other answers... am I phasing out of the toddler board already? My daughter is just shy of 28 months. She mostly has water, she's still nursing, but she has the occasional cup of milk/chocolate milk/tea (usually Jasmine at Chinese restaurants but she loves black tea)/and she gets sips of juice, soda with no caffeine, and hot chocolate.

#26 ·
our 24month old only gets water from a sippy and BM from Mama.
She has tried cows milk and goats milk once each, but didn't go for it.
We do not want to give her juice. Maybe when she's older.

Tried to give her smoothies, but she wont have any of that either. Not from a cup or spoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.