Teething Fever? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone here believes that babies run a fever while teething? I have heard that it is kind of an old wives tale and that the reason the two seem to coincide is that when babes teeth they have their hands in their mouths more than usual and are prone to catching a bug.

Right now I have a 13 month old who has had an off and on fever for a couple days (highest temp 100.7) and she is cutting molars. She has no other cold or flu symptoms, just a little more laid back than usual.

I am wondering if it really could be just teething or if she has some sort of bug? I would love to hear some thoughts on the subject.
thanks!

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#2 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never heard that it was a wives tale and don't know that my kids ever had their hands in their mouths more than normal at that time. Yes, they always run high temps at that time.

#3 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know fruitfulmomma, one question for you, while they have this fever do you go into "sick kid mode" for instance, staying inside, rest etc. or is it business as usual as long as they are up for it? This is the first time she has ever had a temp and like I said before, she really has no other symptoms.

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#4 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mainly just stick to our routine, unless they are really grumpy. We use Hylands teething tablets which seems to help with the temp. and the grumpiness and helps them sleep better.

#5 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD runs a fever with hers sometimes too. We don't go into sick kid mode, but she goes into super cranky mode! I would say to just follow her lead as far as what she's up to.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 PM

My son cut all 4 of his top center teeth at the same time, and ran a 100-101 degree fever for 2 days during that. If it had just been a fever, I wouldn't have done anything differently, but he was also very cranky, tired, and obviously in pain, so we went into sick mode and spent the day snuggling while he napped in arms. I gave him some tylenol in the morning, but then he was up and adam, acting fine, and I thought it would be better if he stayed low key, so I didn't give him anything else. He was pretty miserable, but as long as we were snuggling, reading books, and he was napping on and off, we got through it fine. I definitely think that fever goes with teething for some kids, but not always.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#7 of 16 Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Our 14month old currently has 12 teeth and is working on 3 more.
She didn't get a fever with all of them. But when she cut all four molars at once she got a fever for 2 days. And now with cutting 3 at once she had a fever the other night.
We do not go into sick kid mode in the sense that we do not take her around other kids or anything. But we do spend extra time cuddling, give her arnica, gave her advil with the fever, and basically just nurture her grumpy moods.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 16 Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 PM

At 18 months, he ran a sudden 102+, was totally cheerful and then proceeded to cut a tooth a day for a week straight! We went to the zoo, and were not shy with the tylenol/ ibuprofen.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#9 of 16 Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 PM

My toddler tends to run fevers when cutting multiple teeth. Right now he's getting 3 of his canines and he spiked a totally random 100* fever this afternoon.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#10 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM

DS1 often had a fever when he was teething. My mom told me I used to spike really high fevers too when I was teething. So, yes, I believe it!
#11 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM

DD has run a fever with every tooth she's gotten (we're up to 15 teeth right now). I've heard teething fever shouldn't run over 100, but hers have always been around 101 with teething.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#12 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My ds (27 months) is cutting his top molars and had a fever of 103 for about 7 hours a few days ago. We usually go into sick mode since he has had febrile seizures in the past from a fever. We are non medicating, so I usually grab a wet washcloth and use it to keep his head cool until the fever passes.

If I don't keep him cool he usually have febrile seizures, which are harmless but scary nonetheless.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#13 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM

we've had slight fevers with some (not all) of our babe's teeth. ibuprofin helped. we have no problem giving her this, plus it reduces the pain and swelling. we didn't have to use it for all the teeth, though.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#14 of 16 Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I know this an older post but I am going through this right now! All the "experts" say that babies don't run fevers when teething, but my oldest did and now my son does too. They both got/get horribly runny noses too. The fevers are always low though. I would say anything over 101 would probably be something other than teething. 

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#15 of 16 Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM

DD gets teething fevers and they hot! 103*! Not sick in any way. I gave her tynenol and it comes down. She always cuts more than one tooth at the same time. I also take her temp rectally which is one degree more than orally.

Business as usual.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#16 of 16 Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My youngest son got teething fevers like you wouldn't believe.  102-103 for a WEEK straight, drooling, crying, uncontainable diarrhea, no eating, you name it.  The last two molars he cut (at the same time- he's never done less than two at a time), he lost 4 1/2 pounds in 8 days, he was so sick.  greensad.gif  He's still got two last molars to go.  My older son, didn't make a peep for any of his teeth, never knew they were coming until they were there.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page