Mothering Forum banner

When do you buy toddlers first shoes?

729 views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  redvlagrl 
#1 ·
DS has started walking ( I mean actually spending more time upright than down)

DO I need to buy shoes now? what kind? I personally love to be barefoot as much as possible and haven't had anything on him except socks, and not since june, But its getting cooler.

I will probably stay barefoot/ socked in house, but need something for going out.

#2 ·
Soft-soled shoes are best for beginning walkers. We like the Bobux Ministars that you can get at Target for like $13 (usually in the baby section, not the shoe section). Lots of folks like Robeez, but those are a bit pricey for my budget.

#4 ·
DS2 is at this point too - hes 13 months and just starting to walk more than crawl. Untill it actually gets cold enough that I don't want to go barefoot/in sandals he'll stay barefoot... at that point, I'll hunt through ds1's old shoes and see if his old 5 or 6s are in decent enough shape (assuming they werent gross and I didn't just flat out toss'm), and if not I'll buy the softest soled shoes I can find without spending more than, oh, say $15-20.

#5 ·
we're going shoeless until she's walking and it's cold.
she does wear robeez/ministars at daycare when they go outside...i guess it is getting chilly and wet even for crawling around.

#6 ·
We bought DS a pair of Stride Rite toddler sneakers. They have very soft, flexible soles, but the soles are rubber, so more protective and waterproof than Robeez. Also, less edible, which is an important consideration since he puts everything in his mouth.
Robeez are great for indoors but I pop the sneakers on him if we're going out. He is only cruising at the moment but he cruises everything everywhere, and I'm hoping if we start with the shoes now he'll learn to leave them on his feet by the time he really needs them.

#9 ·
We've had *terrible* experiences with the target robeez. Like they last a week and then have a huge hole blown in the toe. I think I would rather get something cheaper off ebay or consignment (as long as there isn't a foot imprint in the shoe from the previous wearer).

#10 ·
ds is 12mo and has been walking for a couple of months now. I got some see kai run shoes on a bargain site and have recently been putting them on him when we go outside. he's still barefoot when we're in side, but I feel better about him having more protection on his feel when we go out.

#12 ·
We don't wear shoes inside (even take them off when we visit friends houses- it's an Alaskan thing!) but do outside. I love soft star shoes. Great for providing a little protection form the wet and pebbles and such. Padraigs are also awesome! So warm and cozy. DD wears hers a lot! Not great for wet ground though.

#13 ·
My boys officially started walking last Spring. I kept them in the Target Robeeze knock offs for the longest time till it got too hot and then we bought them sandals. They also got a pair of crocs from K-Mart. They just got their first pair of tennis shoes for this winter. Riley got a pair of Osh Kosh shoes that are really flexible in the toe area and Jon got a pair of Sonoma that are good but I really like Riley's better so I am going to take Jon's back and get a pair of the Osh Kosh ones.

When they are outside, they are in shoes. Inside, unless playing with mommy and daddy's shoes, they are going bare foot. It's better for them!

#14 ·
My son wore Speedo water shoes as regular sandals and sandals by Livie and Luca (love!) during the summer months (he started walking in early April). Now, he's in Saucony sneakers (which are still a bit clunky, but, hand-me-downs so we use them) and Soft Star shoes. We've had them about 2 weeks and I'm already afraid he'll be out of them shortly due to how quickly he's growing. I made him a pair of leather soft soled shoes/slippers for around the house. It's too chilly on our floors to be barefoot. I'll order another pair of Livie and Luca for him for sure!

#15 ·
My DD got her first shoes at 9.5mo, just after she started walking. She generally wears something soft like Robeez unless it's raining out.

#16 ·
At one point Target had shoes with these incredibly flexible, thin, rubber soles in the regular shoe department. They were AWESOME for that stage, I'm not sure if they still have them. We mostly stuck to the original Pedipeds at that age with the rubber soles for wet weather.

#18 ·
We used primarily Robeez or Pedipeds soft soled shoes. We asked for Pedipeds for her birthday last November and she wore them every day all winter long and they held up really, really well. (So much that they are packed away and I wouldn't have a problem giving them away or using them for another baby someday.)

Also for the more crafty among us, I know there are soft soled shoe patterns available online if you wanted to make a custom pair! My mom found a pattern and made DD a couple of pairs. (I don't even know how to operate a sewing machine!)

#19 ·
We did Robeez and pedipeds until DD outgrew the largest size (though I see Robeez is now doing big sizes up to 4 years!). then I got DD a pair of See Kai Runs which are really flexible and nice. She also has some fairly flexible rainboots and will do Stonz over Robeez boots (need to find some in her size) this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.