Bad parenting moment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I am that mom who put her DS in the big part of the shopping cart- the seat had a frayed belt that didn't lock and DS kept squirming out and was so upset about not being able to run amok in the store. I obviously should have gone back and gotten a second cart. We were with my dad and sidetracked by our shopping mission which is in no way even a slight excuse. Turned my head for a split second and next thing I know he is falling- head first, perpendicular to the CONCRETE floor- from the cart. He fell smack on the top of his head. Picked him up and he calmed down in 15 seconds and was back to his normal shenanigans immediately. No bruises, no bumps, no tender spots, no blood, no signs of pain. Running around, dancing to music at a Halloween display, talking up a storm, etc. We have been watching him like a hawk for the past 48 hrs and he seems like it never happened.

I just can't shake the image of the fall. It seems like it should have killed him. I feel like the worst mom and am still uneasy about the whole thing. Since there is no change in his demeanor and habits, a CT is not recommended now. Anyone had a toddler have a bad fall? I just feel terrible

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank goodness he's okay! Of course your hindsight makes you feel like you should have/could have avoided it, but it was what it was.

DS is 2.5 and LOVES to walk up on walls along the sidewalks. Usually I make him hold my hand (or he makes me hold his) but one day it just didn't seem necessary for some reason. It was pretty high, but not narrow, so I assumed he'd wait for me before he jumped down.... Not only did he not wait for me, he DOVE onto the sidewalk rather than jumping feet first. He landed with a loud SPLAT on his hands, stomach and forehead. I thought for sure he'd cracked his skull. I nearly threw up, I was so shocked and scared. Of course, he was just fine....
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 PM

hugs mama... stupid things like that happen to all of us.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM

ahh.. i have one of thoes boys who i was just waiting for something catasrophic to happen. he actually made it to almost 4 years before neding any major stitches.. ( 4 stitches to his head after he cracked it on the fireplace)

He is also one of thoes boys where he brushes it off really well, like i mean really well.

Didn't cry when they put the plastic stip things to fix his chin, didn't make a fuss after his head was bandaged while we waited to go see the doctor. he falls down and gets right back up kinda kid.
Really actually plays against me alot with health professionals casue I know he needs medical attention but they think i'm crazy ( the head incident,, long story, the short of it the nurses didn't even check the woundand we waited 6 hours for a doc and when he checked it was ticked that no one had let him know that a child had that kind of a gash on their head and no freezing gell had been applied)

Big hug to you. i know and I understand, and unfortunatley it's likley something like that will happen again. but take comfort in there are other moms here who understnad the feelings

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 PM

First of all, don't beat yourself up. Shopping carts are so dangerous. It took a near catastrophe for me to realize that. We use them with extreme caution now.

I am so happy your DS is so hard-headed. Still, it must have been very traumatic for you. I know my experience was, and DD did not even get hurt. It will get better in a couple of days. You will forget.

huge and some healing for you.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 PM

mama! My 6 week old fell off the counter in her bounce seat two weeks ago on monday. She has a skull fracture, but should be fine. I know just what you mean about the guilt. Accidents happen to us all! Thank god your little one is ok!

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 PM

That happened to me with my first when she was about that age. Now it's all I can do not to say something to other moms when I see them making that mistake.

I'm glad he is ok, and yes, we ALL do those things along the way.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 AM

My 14 month old just had her first bad fall. I am still beside myself 24 hours later but she also seems fine. We were playing on the jungle gym and a dog came into the park - she got very excited and I have no idea how she slipped out of my hands. She fell down a two stairs - it looked really really bad to me. She cried more that we went home after that than about the fall though. It happens. DD2 is a climber, strong and fast. She will give me many heart attacks - I can see it coming.

I am sorry that this terrifying happened, but it sounds like everything is fine. Babies are made of really tough stuff.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 09-25-2010, 03:10 AM

My 21m DD was so excited to get out of the house one morning that she barelled out the front door and went flying down the front steps.. there were only four of them, but she did a full 360 in the air and landed on her bum at the bottom. She only had a few scratches.. I was MUCH more shaken up.

Thank you for the shopping cart reminder.. I occasionally let my DD stand in the big part of the cart when we're checking out
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 AM

DS did that when he was around 20 months old. He didn't want to be in the cart, so he took a header out in the middle of Target, he was perfectly fine too. We all have bad parenting moments.

That being said now he is 3 1/2 I let him sit in the main part of the cart again, but he is old enough to know that he has to sit or he is out and walking or put in the front part of the cart.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 09-27-2010, 02:37 PM

DS1 was about 16 months. I had a safety gate blocking the top of the deck stairs outside. We went outside on said deck. I noticed the (wood) safety gate looked askew. So before we set foot on the deck, I adjusted it & tested it.

Pushed, pulled, pushed, pulled.

We weren't out there 5 minutes when DS1 managed to loosen its grip so that the gate gave way & he went tumbling. All the way. Down. The. Stairs.

The image of his little body rolling down the steps while I chased after him will be burned in my memory forever.

Of course, he was fine & walked it off.

User Tag List