October 2009 Mums and TODDLERS! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi everyone!!  so, my daughter has been getting fussy when we have to take her in and out of her carseat and i have noticed that the straps are kind of tight, even though they are on the highest setting.  i didn't think she was getting too big for it, because the weight limit goes up to 32 lb and she was only like 23 lbs or so at her 12 month visit a month ago.  i did realize though that the height limit is 32" and @ that visit she was 31 1/2" tall.  which means that it's time for a new carseat.  does anyone have any reccomendations for forward-facing carseats?  i'm just not sure what ones are good and which to stay away from, since i don't really have any friends with babes reagan's age.  thanks!!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#92 of 119 Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi mamas! It's been soooo long since I've been here and it's great reading about all the not-so-wee ones smile.gif

Jack is doing swell. He's currently working on cruising and throwing his toys all over the living room. And he dances! So adorbs!! He says mama, dada and itty. Loves to feed himself - was using a spoon at four months and getting the yogurt into his mouth most of the time wink1.gif

The only problem is the sleeping. He's never slept more than four hours without waking and that was only once or twice. I don't know if it's the constant teething (almost every day since July) or something else, but he's waking me up every hour or two all night. Exhausting! And painful!

He's getting better with being taken care of by daddy more and more, which is great because now I have a little more time for me - showers! Designing books again! READING A CHAPTER IN A BOOK AGAIN! WOOHOO!!

No PPAF here which is surprising since J only nurses a few times during the day. My hormones feel so out of whack (pimples and mood swings) that it must be coming back soon. That won't be a pretty first flow - yikes! LOL

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#93 of 119 Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 AM

well... as it turns out.. i was WRONG!  We have a BFP!  Hilda will have a little brother or sister in july if all goes well.  oh man, 2<2 here we come!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#94 of 119 Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

I did! However, I did it before she was born when I still had free time & didn't know whether she was boy or girl :) Want to make a couple of gifts for them too for the holidays....we'll see how it goes.

HOLY MAMA's!!! Congrats to ALL on their new bellies!!! wow!! I'm kinda wishing it were me! heshehe! I love being pregnant :) Oh well, I had my turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
1 year update:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barefootstudio/4879333284/ (think I posted this pic before, sorry if it's a repeat)
cinnamongrl- did you make that tshirt? i love to make those you-can-do-it-while-they-nap appliques! she looks fierce!

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#95 of 119 Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

well... as it turns out.. i was WRONG!  We have a BFP!  Hilda will have a little brother or sister in july if all goes well.  oh man, 2<2 here we come!

congrat's! i'm also nervous about the 2<2, but i figure this was meant to be.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#96 of 119 Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 AM

congrats hildare!!! :)

thomaturtle - we have an evenflo carseat we really like.  the shoulder straps are easily adjustable and, best of all, it connects to your car's LATCH system very easily.  our previous infant seats had staps you had to pull to tighten - we could never get enough leverage to get it as tight as we wanted.  the evenflow is more like an adult carseat strap, it retracts and locks on its own.  very easy.  in fact, im stopping at target on my way home tonight to pick up a second one (for our sitter's car, we are retiring the infant seats all together).   also, wanted to mention, the new recommendation is to keep all seats rear-facing until 2 years old. its much safer for baby's neck in the event of a crash (lots of articles/info online if you want to read about it).

#97 of 119 Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Wow, I can't believe all the pregnancies in this thread (and at least one birth already, right?). DD is still so young I can't imagine dealing with another already. But each of us has our own challenges to face regardless. In our case, ds has been agressive toward dd, and has even given her a black eye (he says it was an accident although I'm not totally sure about that). Sigh.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#98 of 119 Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM

congrats hildare and angel!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#99 of 119 Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 AM

congrats on the new arrival, southernmommie!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#100 of 119 Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM

ok am annoyed am nak and typed up a big update and won't post and disappeared - arg will try again later

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#101 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks everone!

And congrats on the BFP's!

I must say, nak'ing the 4 wk old now and can totally understand the hardships of having a 1 yr old and a newborn. I'd be pulling my hair out or having some crying babies if DH wasn't on leave right now. I have 2 1/2 weeks to try to figure out how to take care of my 2 1/2 yr old, 13 mo old, and the 4 week old! I'm hoping the baby will start to level out and sleep without being snuggled to the boob more. He went twice this evening and I got to take an uninterrupted bath!!!! Woohoo!!!! Lol. And my darling 13 mo old, Leah, is STILL teething. That 4th upper front tooth just does not want to push through even though we can see the tip clearly through the gums! Poor thing. She's been waking up more often throughout the night and she's always been my sleeper at night sine birth.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#102 of 119 Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM

hey mamas

hehe never did that update over

so still trying to figure out the work/life balance...haven't got it at all and now our dayhome provider (callum goes part-time and everett was sched to start with her in the new year) has told us she is opting for another kiddo who will take a full time spot - sigh - finding part time care is hard

my out-of-home job has been good to me and extended the one year leave until january 5 - yay i don't have to work over christmas as i thought i'd have to (unpaid but i maintain my seniority) so i have a bit more time to scramble but i am trying not to freak out as i will be back to working 35-40hrs a week (currently work about 20) and was counting on having 15hrs of care for both boys - i do work mostly evenings and weekends but i am feeling really scr#wed right now.

i did find a spot in a great co-op nursery school for callum for 10hrs a week but nothing for everett...man i am so scr#wed

on the up side i just did a wonderful weekend course to upgrade my thai yoga massage skills - it was adapting it to the table (which is awesome because it means i don't have to do additional setup, i can just use my massage table as is. i did a reiki course earlier in the month so i am only a few hours away from having my continuing ed. requirements done (we have to submit them in 3yr cycles) such a positive experience and am excited to offer new options to my clients.

everett is still nursing a tonne - he is definitely a boob-aholic. he is playing really well with callum for the most part so that has been fun to watch.

other than that, the house is a disaster and i need to figure out how to be better organized. so good and not so good.

#103 of 119 Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM

*double posted*

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#104 of 119 Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post

I can't find the confession thread right now, so I thought I'd post it here. ... Persephone hasn't had her birthday party yet. I had the intention of doing a Halloween type party, but as her birthday approached I got more and more depressed about the lack of support we have. When I realized that most of the people coming to said party would by my oldest dd's friends.. for some reason it was like a knife to my chest. Another birthday for another one of my kiddos gone by unnoticed by people. The only ones to acknowledge PJ was my inlaws who live in another state. We have family in the town, family close by.. but they're the type of family that don't contact you except one a year, and thats just a few. The rest don't care to contact us at all.

Celebrations without others to celebrate with is hard. You know what I mean?

I don't mean to whine. I just needed some other mommys to listen. I feel like such a heel for not doing anything yet. I mean I took pictures of her on her birthday, but we didn't have a cake or presents or celebrate really. My other kids are wondering why and I don't even have a reason. Its hard for me to celebrate when no one is going to come. Its the same way I felt about all my baby showers. Just disappointed that I got excited about it at all.

Happy Birthday to all the babes that have celebrated already, and to those that are yet to. I think the bittersweetness of the 1st birthday combined with no support network and no family... just leads to depression.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm feeling bad because I haven't had 1 year pictures made yet. Even if it's just you and your kids, you can celebrate her birthday. I know what what you mean about it being bittersweet. I just read about a blogger whose 1 yr old son died when a large TV and dresser tipped over on top of him, hearing about something like that, just makes me so grateful to have my baby still with me. Sorry you have a lack of support, I have family nearby to help me, but sometimes they don't want to because they are wrapped up in their own lives.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#105 of 119 Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Kara's b-day pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247818&id=542194960&l=de4e48bb6c

#106 of 119 Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 PM

i know we're all busy for the holidays...so happy holidays everyone!  miss amelia is really loving all of the lights and attention.  she left the tree alone until we put candy canes on it, and then she tried to climb the thing for the candy!!!  it was hilarious!  i let her help put it up and let her handle everything when we were decorating it, and it really helped her not be so curious.  also, it's in the den, so it's not right there waiting for her to prod and explore.  it's really amazing because she's into everything else and i constantly find her on top of the counters, tables, chairs, beds, desks, etc.  she is so inquisitive and smart!  we can give her simple things to do like 'go get your shoes' or 'shut the door' and she does them.  she still only has a very few words, though, which is odd for me because my other kids were talkers.  she goes to the ent on the 22 (finally) and we are considering tubes.  she had her 7th ear infection (4th treated w/abo) over thanksgiving.  she's growing like a weed, too.  i can't get a good height measurement on her, but she's at least 32" and is 23lbs. 

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#107 of 119 Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 AM

i don't know if this is still the thread we are using but just wishing all you mamas a happy and blessed 2011. we spent the day going for a long walk which included a visit to the children's museum at the museum of civilization - the boys lasted for 3hrs at the museum! we have had really unseasonably mild weather - today it was 11 - that's in the low 50s in farhenheit - so it was super crazy foggy and misty...felt very coastal. so the walk home...instead of being 30min was more like an hour as the 3.5yr old insisted on walking the entire way so we could splash in all the puddles from the now non-existent snow.

a seriously great day puddles and play and butternut squash soup after getting home and peeling off the splashed on clothes

a pic of bub from today (my best friend here knit the hat)

076.JPG

#108 of 119 Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 PM

great pic, arlene!

happy new year, all!  i just read in PAL that sept04mama had her baby boy on 12/22!!!  she was in our birth club and lost her precious baby, so it was great reading about her new baby and i'm hopeful for healing for her!

we are up for surgery friday.  millie will get tubes in her ears and natalie will get her tonsils/adenoids out.  we are nervous be hopeful for a relief from the sickies. 

i hope you are all well and that the toddlers had a wonderful holiday.  millie's new thing:  dancing on her tip toes in circles!  it's so cute.  oh, and her new fav word is cheesy :P

#109 of 119 Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 PM

I seem to be having troubles posting here so I will be brief. Jen, I've heard from several mama who were able to avoid surgery for their kids with throat issues by cutting out allergens, especially egg, dairy, and gluten although everyone is different. You probably have heard that here before though. I know we really are having a tough time with ds's eczema as well as multiple diagnoses and I'm pretty sure dietary interventions could help but I'm so not up for it right now. Thanks for the update about sept04mama.

DD is growing and changing all the time. She still doesn't really talk, which is a bit odd, but she does say mama and dada as well as "ah" which means either "what's that" or "can I have that" and she can sign eat, more, and again among others. Oh, and dog, her favorite sign (and animal), as well as bird and cat.

#110 of 119 Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 AM

we had the surgeries, and i do believe with all my heart that they were needed.  natalie had SEVERE halitosis and now, she's got the sweetest breath!  she was having issues sleeping and was also having issues breathing when reclined at all, and those are resolved as well.  millie had a tummy bug and we made it through with NO ear infection!  we really trusted our dr. (he's a DO) and we researched other options and came to the conclusion that surgery was best for both of them.

i just saw that krystal (kawa kamuri) is due in june!!!!  i wonder if aubrey is pg yet???  :D 

#111 of 119 Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM

I am glad the surgeries went well and things got better for both your kids. I have heard about speech delays being resolved and sleep issues so I totally understand why you did it. You are a great mom -- as is everyone on this thread!

#112 of 119 Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Hi Mamas! Just checking in while DS goes down for a nap. He still nurses around the clock, and requires to be in arms and latched on for naptimes. (At night he'll sleep in his sidecar for 1-2 hours at a time, but still nurses A LOT -- I'm so glad we co-sleep.) He's high-need and it's the only downtime I get, but I know he'll outgrow this eventually.

My boy is such a little man! Even though he is a handful, he is charning and sociable, very talkative, and knows the alphabet! I'm so impressed with how he's growing, and he enchants (and challenges) us every day. He loves to be around other children; one problem, though, is that he's so big (33.5" and 28lb) that other kids (and their parents) tend to think he's older than 15 months, so he gets pushed around by older kids and I get disapproving looks from adults for "hovering" over him. He may be as big as a 2yo, but he's really just a baby. He only strarted walking at 13mo and is still learning how to climb down from things, so... excuse me for being a little protective!  I wish I could find a playgroup for him. He's an only child and I'm a SAHM, so it's just the 2 of us most of the time, plus DH when he's home from school/work. I know how important socialization is for DS, but I have major anxiety issues and it's really hard for me to get out, be around other people, expose my child to illness or bad behavior...  I know, i know, I need to get over it but it's easier said than done.

I'm so amazed and proud of you mamas with new LO's! I don't know how you do it, but you're doing it! Bravo!!!!

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
#113 of 119 Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Hello everyone! I miss coming here so I'm going to make an effort to do it more. Hope you are all well.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#114 of 119 Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 AM

liz, i get that with millie not because she's huge (24lbs, 31.5") but because she seems so grown up.  she's extremely physically adept and can follow complex commands, so she seems older than 16 months.  she's been walking for nearly 6 months, so she gives off the air of a seasoned toddler, but she's still so much baby!  i think people just like to force their kids to grow up too soon. 

we are just getting over influenza...yuck!  i pulled natalie out f school, i hope that helps! 

one of the other mommies reminded me that it's been nearly 2 yrs since we got our bfp...the time is just flying by!

#115 of 119 Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM

yeah, i have been a bit slow on the reply front - the usual life clutter

we just got back from 2 and a bit wks away (puerto vallarta) and am finding it really sad to be back in the snow

it snowed a lot while we were away...a huge amount

right now we are mulling over several job options - 2 of which would involve relocation - 1 would be this year, the other a year from now. my work is really flexible so it is feasible. long pro/con lists going on.

everett is still not much of a great sleeper - oh well - it will improve at some point. he is really trying to say a lot of words with varying degrees of success but he loves to point and say that - that's when he either wants something or wants you to tell him the word.

i should head to bed, just wanted to check in and see how everyone is.

#116 of 119 Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM

so, arlene...have you decided what to do about jobs/moving?

i wanted to bump this up and say happy march everyone!  millie and natalie had their post-op surgery check and are doing great.  millie didn't pass one part of the hearing exam (no surprise) and we have to go back in 3 months.  i know she can hear better, because she's talking up a storm now and repeating us (some not so great words, too!).  hope all the toddlers are well and happy!

#117 of 119 Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've been missing you ladies! I took a hiatus from MDC after the format changed. It confused me, and I didn't know how to navigate. hahaha.

Just a little update on us: 

Lyra is 17 months, JUST started walking, She's 33-34" and 25 pounds. She's got 16 teeth (Everything except the 2nd molars), says quite a few words: mama, dada, no, dog, kitty, ham (we're vegetarians?! LOL), Fish (we just got a tank), banana, hi, why, bye. She is signing up a storm and is starting to combine two or three signs. This morning she toddle over to the bookshelf, pointed at her books and signed "more book please". I melted. So sweet. 

And I just found out- I'm officially joining a new DDC. I got a BFP on Thursday- Having Baby #2 in November :) Hoping for a HBAC!

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#118 of 119 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post

so, arlene...have you decided what to do about jobs/moving?

i wanted to bump this up and say happy march everyone!  millie and natalie had their post-op surgery check and are doing great.  millie didn't pass one part of the hearing exam (no surprise) and we have to go back in 3 months.  i know she can hear better, because she's talking up a storm now and repeating us (some not so great words, too!).  hope all the toddlers are well and happy!

we decided against the move - i can't do my work at the same level (registered massage therapists fall under the same type of regulation as chiropractors, nurses, midwives, physiotherapists, etc.) so don't think i could maintain the same kind of work - and most people here are insured for massage. then there was the other pieces - they JUST offered the job, so we'd have to find housing, schooling (the only french school is the lycee rochembeau which is ridiculously expensive when it is covered by our taxes, and because we don't vaccinate (our charter of rights guarantees our right to opt out of vaccinations for any reason we choose) i would somehow have to figure out how to get a religious or medical exemption...all by june!

in any case, part of it is that dh will likely have an opportunity for an assignment in london in about two years - that would be a good fit. i have dual citizenship cdn/irish so can work in the eu, have lots of friends and relatives there, would have similar schooling options. my number one reason for washington dc was the climate - less harsh winter. that really isn't enough, kwim.

thx for asking - we did up pro/con lists and the cons were much more numerous than expected.

#119 of 119 Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM

• congrats!!!!joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post

I've been missing you ladies! I took a hiatus from MDC after the format changed. It confused me, and I didn't know how to navigate. hahaha.

Just a little update on us: 

Lyra is 17 months, JUST started walking, She's 33-34" and 25 pounds. She's got 16 teeth (Everything except the 2nd molars), says quite a few words: mama, dada, no, dog, kitty, ham (we're vegetarians?! LOL), Fish (we just got a tank), banana, hi, why, bye. She is signing up a storm and is starting to combine two or three signs. This morning she toddle over to the bookshelf, pointed at her books and signed "more book please". I melted. So sweet. 

And I just found out- I'm officially joining a new DDC. I got a BFP on Thursday- Having Baby #2 in November :) Hoping for a HBAC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page