Affordable nontoxic mattress? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I couldn't decide between posting in Family Safety or Family Bed/Nighttime Parenting, so I chose Toddlers. Apologies if one of the first two was more appropriate.)

We're going to be moving DS (20 mos) out of our bed and into his own twin, in his room, someday soon. The first step is to find an appropriate mattress, but $1300 for an organic latex twin mattress makes my head spin. All I really want to do is prevent exposure to bromide flame retardants. Can I do that without spending a fortune?

TIA

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Glad you posted. I was going to start a similar topic as we are in the same situation. Naturepedic twin mattresses are $699. That's the best price I have found for a safer mattress.

http://www.naturepedic.com/products/...ss_quilted.php

We are still trying to decide if we can budget that much into a mattress. I wanted to get an Ikea bed to offset the mattress cost, but Ikea is sneaky in their sizing and you can't guarantee that a non-Ikea mattress will fit one of its beds. I didn't look at your location, but if you live near Canada, you can get a bromine-free mattress from Ikea in Canada. (Can you tell my research is driving me insane?)

Anyway, hoping others with more experience have other suggestions.
#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just came across this - maybe we need not worry so much? I'd like to be able to know what flame-retardants are being used in the mattress, anyway. Seems harder to find out than it should be.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#4 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM

I recently emailed Ikea and was told that in Canada their mattresses are not treated with any flame retardants, and that in countries such as the US and the UK they are treated with phosphor or nitrogen based flame retardants. Ikea told me that all mattresses worldwide are free from PBDE and antimony compounds. They do obviously still have petrochemical foam as they aren't organic.

Also, Ikea bed frames come in standard sizes now (twin/single, full/double, queen and king).

I will say however that I was less than impressed with the quality of all but the most expensive Ikea mattresses, though the bed frames seemed ok.
#5 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Our kids have ikea mattresses and they are fine. We're tiny people, though, so I have no problem sleeping on them.

They offer a latex mattress now as well.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A different type of mattress than most are used to but high quality and lower price. My DS (28 months) sleeps great on it.

http://www.whitelotus.net/organic-cotton-wool-mattress/
#7 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We purchased matresses from Organic Grace. Very knowledgeable folks with a wide range of pricing.
#8 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM

you can get an ikea mattress, unzip the cover, cut off the tan cover that contains the junk, and then rezip it. I think i paid $300 for the mattress only, and it was a big concern of mine bc DS is already high in atimony & arsenic

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page