May 09 Pumpkins in October! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to October!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 AM

From the Sept thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
I'm trying to figure out sizes. She's in 18 month clothes now. How old/big do kids have to be for 2T?
Depends on the kid... I've known a baby in 2T clothes at 9 months old (she is HUGE), and some don't get into 2T until they are two years old.

Em's in 2T right now, a couple things are 3T, a couple things are 18mo. Depends on the brand really, since sizes can be so variable with baby clothes.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Laine is still wearing mostly 12 month bottoms because of how skinny her waist is but she's 18 months in tops. She can wear a size 80 in Hanna Andersson which I think is considered a 2T. She fits mostly everything true to size. Liam started wearing 2T around 12 months and has usually always been a year ahead in clothing sizes for age.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 10-03-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody dressing their babes up for Halloween? I'm still trying to figure out what Liam and Laine will be. Liam suggested they both be puppies and I thought that was cute but his costume idea changes daily

Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Hi all! I've been looking for this thread!

About the 2T thing... what is the difference between 24 months size and 2T? Olivia is in 18 months, but when looking to buy the next size up I find it oddly confusing! Some brands/stores have 24 months, some go straight to 2T, some seem to have both...

I'm still trying to figure out Halloween! DH, myself and Olivia are running a Halloween 5K, so I'd like to be able to dress us all up in some kind of theme, and even be able to decorate Olivia's jogging stroller! I'm falling short on ideas though... since it has to be something we can run in!

We're still having some success with the potty here, all led by Olivia. She absolutely hates being in a diaper (or clothed at all, for that matter) when we're at home. She's usually in jammies or naked!

She's just turned 16 months, and seems like she began really mimicking sounds and words at that point on. It's funny, from the time I got pregnant I thought of myself as "mama", but it turns out, I'm "mum"! It's very cute the way she says it. She yells, "Mum! Mum! Mmmmmmmum!"

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Someone told me that the difference is 24 is like "up to" and sort of puts a cap on that age for that size whereas 2T is supposed to fit all through the year of 2. Of course this is general and each child is different so I'm guessing that the 2T is supposed to be bigger. My mother inlaw tried to say it's because 24 months has more room in the diaper area than 2T because "two year olds don't wear diapers" which at the time I was offended at, because our two year old was wearing diapers and didn't potty train until age 3.

My boy is in 18 months mostly, some 24 or the stores that carry the 18-24, that's a perfect size.

Haven't figured out his Halloween costume. I was going to make him a devil, because believe me, that just really suits him. But daughter overheard and has picked a devil as her own costume.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post
My mother inlaw tried to say it's because 24 months has more room in the diaper area than 2T because "two year olds don't wear diapers"
*blink* Really?

I didn't think I was even going to ATTEMPT potty training until close to 3 years old.

I'm dreading it so much. At this point I've decided that when she insists on using the toilet, she'll be ready to potty train, rotfl.

Not sure what to do for halloween. I need an infant costume and a toddler costume and I want them to be "themed" and go together. No idea what, though. I thought of doing Thing 1 and Thing 2, but I think I'll save that one for when Ozzy is running around as much as Emma is now.

Em is way into kisses now. She wouldn't kiss for the longest time-- if I asked for a kiss, she'd incline her forehead towards my mouth so that *I* could kiss *her* (lol, that is her personality to a T). But now she has suddenly decided that kissing is fun and she wants to kiss every.thing. She kisses her baby brother every time he comes within kissing range. She kisses all of her stuffed animals. Then I have to kiss all the stuffed animals. Then her dad has to kiss all the stuffed animals. Then they all kiss each other (she'll put them mouth-to-mouth and make the kissing sound). All day long. ROTFL. It is pretty damn sweet.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Oh, she also wants to walk around with her finger shoved up her nose. How do we break that habit.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Oh kisses! Olivia loves giving kisses and hugs. It's how I've been able to redirect her from hitting (she often does it playfully, and I tell her "we don't hit, but we give hugs and kisses" and she'll kiss whatever she just hit). It's pretty much the cutest thing ever, as you said Kelly. When I have her in the backpack for a walk, she hugs my head and gives the back of my head kisses.

I had heard the same thing about "room in the diaper area" for 24 months clothes and not 2T, but I thought that sounded weird. I thought it was fairly normal for kids to potty train between 2 and 3-ish? We've only started with the potty because Olivia seems to like it, she grabs my hand and runs to the potty to go pee sometimes (other times, she grabs my hand and starts peeing ) and I figure if it happens, great! I don't really have any expectations for her to be potty trained any time soon though.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 sound cute Kelly! I get what you're saying though, it'd be great to see them running around together

Bambina's Mommy - I laughed when you said DD overheard you talking about making DS a devil and chose it for herself! I still haven't figured out halloween either... seems like the time is just going by so fast!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was looking for the September thread until I realized that...uh...it's not September anymore

Luke wears all kinds of sizes. Most of his 18 month stuff is a too short for him now, so he's in a combo of 24 month and 2T. The 2T pants are really long on him still, so we have to roll them up, but his (cloth) diapers are so huge that we've always had to size up on his pants so they'd fit over the diaper.

Kissing: he still doesn't kiss, although he does sometimes lean his head into whoever he's trying to kiss (usually the cat) and say "Mwah!" He is a big fan of giving hugs though. He says "Aww!" every time he hugs us--so cute!

Halloween: we bought his costume last year during the post-Halloween sales. He's going to be a monkey. I'm trying to convince DH that he wants to be a banana, but so far, no luck. But once you dress them up, what do you do with them? They still seem really young for trick-or-treating, don't they?

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi Everyone, I am relatively new here, but... I have a May 17, 09 baby boy named John James (JJ, Johnny, John at any given time.) I'm just gonna jump in here feet first.

Kisses: JJ sometimes gives them, sometimes not. He's stingy with his kisses but he's always got one for mama. He was headbutting instead of kissing for a long while. He seems to be getting off of that now, tho.

Talking: He's not much of a talker, but he's getting names down pretty well. He'll do Jade (the dog) Jesse (my bf) mama, sissy, nana, papa, nan, MA!!! and daddy. Once in a while he'll send some other word out there, today it was Ba and he indicated his bottle.

Halloween: I haven't the foggiest idea. I'll probably do something thematic with him and his sister, Lexi who is 5. So I am waiting on her to decide.

Sizes: My daughter was ALWAYS tall and thin...always! Nothing ever did nor does now, fit in the waist. The boy...he's big all around. 16 1/2 months old and 24 months nowhere near fit him. 2Ts are where we are heading now. He's just big all around, tall and a little on the chunky side. But mama loooves her some chunky baby boy.

Jen - Mommy to 2 little heathens: Lexi (5 years old) and JJ (16 Months Old)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_2angels View Post
Hi Everyone, I am relatively new here, but... I have a May 17, 09 baby boy named John James (JJ, Johnny, John at any given time.) I'm just gonna jump in here feet first.
Welcome!

Stopping by for some October pics:

both my babies:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../092810024.jpg

Em is going to make a fantastic teenager. Here she is trying to close me out of her room when she gets mad at me:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410024.jpg

She completely set herself up like this.... she'll lay down on the pillows, pull the blankets up, and obsessively arrange her stuffed animals, rotfl:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410008.jpg

Check out my duck:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410002.jpg

watching winnie the pooh before bed:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410026.jpg

She found the Fun Part of the cat:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410035.jpg

Saving this to show her friends when she's in high school:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../100410029.jpg

Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Your pics are always a delight to watch Kelly. Emma seems like a big girl in comparison to her brother
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_2angels View Post
Hello! Always good to have a new mama jump in!

Just a quick post before I go to bed... It's sort of funny, from the time I got pregnant I assumed I'd be called "mama" but it turns out, I'm "mum"! Olivia gets the biggest kick out of calling me "mum", her favorite thing is for me to respond "Olivia!" and we go back and forth "mum!" "Olivia!" "mum!" etc etc!

The funny thing is, my step dad has teased my sister and I for as long as I can remember for calling our mom "mum" when we call on the phone. He has a funny voice and everything for it. So it's just funny to me that that's what Olivia has picked up on. Step-dad thinks it's a riot, and told me not to try to correct it at all, he likes it in an endearing sort of way.

Anyhow, I'm sure that's much funnier to me than it'll translate to this post, but I've been laughing about it

Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Kelly, those are cheeks you just want to *nom nom* on! They are both so cute!

I am very busy these days as you can tell from my signature/title. Laine has been talking up a storm lately, she's learned "don't know" "okay?" and "what?" I'm also finding that she talks in her baby gibberish language far more than Liam ever did, it seems like she's talking all day long from sun up to sun down.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Right now Em is saying "sock" and "eyes". That's it.

She'll also make a "sshhhh" sound for "shoe."

She points at all of the eyes on her stuffed animals: "eyes" "eyes" "eyes". Of course she likes to "eyes" "eyes" her baby brother, too, we often have to explain that the baby does not like having his eyes poked.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the kind welcomes! Yea, JJ loves to baby-blabber! He'll run around babbling and randomly you'll hear Jesse, Jade, Ma! MA!! MAAAA!!!! Sister and Nana. Lol My favorite is when we are driving. Inevitably he will start going "Ma.... ma....mama.... MA!" I'll go "What?" And he'll reply "Ma.....what?... Ma!" and we go back and forth over and over. It's fun and really cute. Then his sister joins and I wouldn't want to subject anyone else, cuz it gets loud, but we're giggling like crazy people. Lol

Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Let me see ....Mama, Ball, Balloooooooooooooooon, no, gone(for all done), Go(for walks), bow (for dog), ba (for bye, bird), Hello, Yellow and plaaaaaaane

She blabbers a whole lot but I think these are her major words nowadays. I know I am forgetting some.

She accurately makes these animal sounds... when we ask her what does a dog say she goes bow (she also calls dogs bow)
Likewise : bow, meow, baa, moo, qqhh (for quack) and a kiss for birds because we make a sort of a kissing sound for the bird chirps.

ETA: she makes a half-grunt, half-roar for "what does a Lion say?"
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Wow, lots of kids with lots of words! My poor little guy can't get a word in edgewise with his sister rambling on all day. She's a typical 3 1/2yr old girl and talks NON-STOP all day long. So, so far all he says is: up, out and YEP! (so nice to have a positive child, I'm sure k's first word was NO) and yesterday he said milk ("mek"). He signs though, down, more, please... a few others, and can definitely get his point across!

We've just moved into 18 month clothing. We almost exclusively shop at Carters, just because it's convenient and cheap(ish) and they tend to be a decent quality. DS has just broken the 21lb mark on the scales and is a full 2" shorter now than his sister was at the same age. Hopefully he'll sprout up soon, but she's always been in the 99%ile for height so maybe he's just going to be average! The docs are still worried about his weight, I am avoiding making another appointment until they call us.

No kisses here but lots and lots of hugs. My favorite is when we're headed out the door to go somewhere and he waits for me to get to the third or fourth step from the top and I turn and he launches himself with a delighted shriek into my arms and gives me a big hug and grins like it's the best time of his life. I'm pretty sure he's going to launch himself when I'm not ready one of these days, but so far so good!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post

Just a quick post before I go to bed... It's sort of funny, from the time I got pregnant I assumed I'd be called "mama" but it turns out, I'm "mum"! Olivia gets the biggest kick out of calling me "mum", her favorite thing is for me to respond "Olivia!" and we go back and forth "mum!" "Olivia!" "mum!" etc etc!
Sophia does this too! But she calls me MAMAAA! I love when she does that.

And hello everybody , I rarely come here, but sometimes come and read. I think I said before that I'm now working at a doctor's practice, it's fun, but very stressful. Sophia has finally adapted to her daycare and has friends. She is talking a lot more too. She has also learn a few things like hugging a toy and saying "MINE!" and is now tantrumy. I hate when she throws herself on the floor. Any other tantrum throwing babies here?

I think Sophia and I are going to be bumble bees for Halloween. I'm not sure yet and I thought of going trick or treating. We did last year, she just had no candy haha.

Finding clothes that fit is hard. Pants that fit her on the waist are 12M, but those are too short. 18M Fit her well, but fall of her waist a bit. She has some 24M and 2T shirts. I'm right now on the search for a wool peacoat for her. I've only seen one at Old Navy, but was wondering if anyone has seen any around?

We spent the weekend babysitting for DP's siblings. It was fun, but I got so mad. MY MIL didn't ask me, she came to tell me that they were coming on Sat because they were going to a wedding in New York. That I needed to vacuum and lock the cat somewhere because Caroline who has asthma suffered a lot after she came over the other day. It's funny because she doesn't care enough as to not smoke while she's in the car. Then she filled my house with junk food and deposited 3 kids, two that were sick, one with strep throat and one with a fever of 103.4.

I love the baby pictures
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post
Any other tantrum throwing babies here?
Yep! Darcy is throwing some absolute crackers of tantrums at the moment - multiple times a day - complete with banging her forehead on the floor or edge of the bath or side of her crib .... I think it's mostly frustration that I don't understand what she's trying to communicate to me. We're working on a few signs which will hopefully improve things.

Getting dressed/undressed and nappy changes are a nightmare - she screams, thrashes, rolls over, kicks me, bites, scratches, pulls hair. It's terrible She does the same when I try to put her in her carseat. I feel so horrible forcing her to do something that it's obviously not fun for her, but nappies, clothing and carseats aren't really optional. Anyone else dealing with this? It's been going on for about 6 months now.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
We've just moved into 18 month clothing. We almost exclusively shop at Carters, just because it's convenient and cheap(ish) and they tend to be a decent quality. DS has just broken the 21lb mark on the scales and is a full 2" shorter now than his sister was at the same age. Hopefully he'll sprout up soon, but she's always been in the 99%ile for height so maybe he's just going to be average! The docs are still worried about his weight, I am avoiding making another appointment until they call us.
Good God, what I wouldn't give for DS to be in 18 month clothes and 21lbs. Mine is in 2t-3t and weighs around 30lbs! Porker much?!?! But he's sooo cute, all chubby cheeks and stuff! He's nearly as tall as his sister was at 4.

He's started with temper tantrums and seperation anxiety to the extreme. It's so hard. I have to just kiss him and leave cuz cuddling him makes it worse.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Hi everyone! I've been working on a scrapbook for Olivia's first 12 months, I finally finished it (I've been doing it online) and the company emails me to tell me that their equipment isn't working properly and I have to upload the whole thing again. Easier said than done with a 16 month old! Oy.

We're still working on a lot of words here, but Olivia knows A LOT of animal sounds! It cracks me up. She does have a few words, but doesn't say too much with any real regularity.

She's about 22lbs and almost 31 inches. She had a huge growth spurt (got taller) recently.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Hi All -

Good to find you. can't talk much, started new job and way too busy.

Olivia is doing great! She now says Okay and nummy, both are very cute. She's finally getting more teeth but not in the right order. She has the front 3 top, front 2 bottom and now 3 molars! Waiting for the other front 3 days.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post

Getting dressed/undressed and nappy changes are a nightmare - she screams, thrashes, rolls over, kicks me, bites, scratches, pulls hair. It's terrible She does the same when I try to put her in her carseat. I feel so horrible forcing her to do something that it's obviously not fun for her, but nappies, clothing and carseats aren't really optional. Anyone else dealing with this? It's been going on for about 6 months now.
Sophia loves getting dressed/undressed. She often tries doing it on her own, or I find her putting on daddy's sweater (wrong, but on nonetheless). She loves taking her shoes on and off and goes "shooo" and same with the sucks. Diapers are a different story. She hates them, I usually try to be as silly/quick as possible.

Today she's only thrown two tantrums, when daddy came home and had to put her down to go to the bathroom and then when I was clipping her nails. I usually do it when she's sleeping, but kept forgetting and the digging with them into my skin was making me crazy.

I usually try to be quick about whatever is happening that she doesn't like and if is something she wants she can't have or needs to wait. I try to entertain her either by being silly or by giving her something she usually doesn't play with (I do this when I'm cooking and she goes into I must be in your arms right now).

What have your babies been into lately? Sophia keeps loving books, but now loves coloring, everything from books, walls and fridges. She also loves flowers, the other day we were at my MIL and she kept pointing at them saying "flawar" and when my MIL picked one and gave it to her, she "put" it back where it was. It was so cute. She also really loves animals and never gets scared of them, if we go somewhere where there is one, she has to play with it and pet them and run and scream. They are her favorite. It makes me wish we had a dog, is not like she gets much fun interaction from our cat right now.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Where is everybody? I hope Fall is treating you all well, we're finally getting some Fall-like days around here.

Laine has definitely picked up a diva attitude She's also started screaming and screeching a lot and she LOVES to climb. We're back to night-weaning but this time I'm dedicated to it and she's doing well.

I'm being extra cautious but I figured I would tell you gals that we're expecting a new little one in July We're not telling family for a while, so those who know me on Facebook, it's between us We weren't trying but not preventing I suppose you could say, we DTD once in October and it just happened to be the night before I ovulated. My cycles had been completely out of whack and I was actually suspecting PCOS. The good news is that DH is getting out in August and won't be deploying, so he won't be missing anything. We are moving in August though so that should be an adventure. EDD is July 2nd, but I'm thinking more like late June given my history.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM

OMG YAY! Congratulations!

(been busy, will be back to post later)

Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations, Katie!!! And how wonderful that your DH will be around for the pregnancy, birth, babyhood, etc!

We've been pretty busy lately with traveling and trying to fit in all the fun fall activities that I so love

Luke talks. About everything. All the time. I'm not sure how many words he has anymore, but he'll repeat pretty much anything. He doesn't put his words together as much as I might expect, considering how much he talks. But there have been some funny ones: a couple of weeks ago, he was running around without a diaper on and came up to me and said "Mama! Biiiiiiiig pee-pee!" And if he doesn't like something that's on his plate, he'll say "Ew, a bug," and refuse to eat it And every time I ask if he needs a diaper change, he says "Yes! Baby diaper." (Translation: baby needs a diaper...DH says that to him as he's changing him.)

Right now, he's obsessed with trains and buses. We got him some of the Thomas trains and all day long, I hear about them. And every time we go out, he searches for school buses. In fact, he's convinced that every yellow vehicle is a bus...the other day, he got really excited when he saw a yellow convertible, which he called a "small bus."

He's started a biting phase recently. He bites when he's really happy and hugging someone or when he's really mad about someone not sharing a toy. The other day, he bit me and then said, "No, Guk (Luke). No bite." So clearly, he remembers that he's not supposed to bite, but he just can't control himself yet...here's hoping that he gets over this quickly because I do not enjoy being chomped on. Oh, and he's started hitting me when I don't let him do something. And he doesn't even get particularly mad, he just hits me and then goes off to do his thing--no tantrum most of the time. I've been trying to teach him to say "mad!" instead of hitting...and of course, that's the one word he won't repeat.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Grats, Katie!! That's exciting news!!

John has learned some new words this week. Cutsie stuff like "Uh Oh! Spagettio!" of course all you can understand out of that is "Uh OH Skeeio" and he says his little friend's name "Dominic" but it's more like "dicadic" lmao. He's been running around going "Sissy, sissy, MAAAAAAAAA!!! Mama!! Deddeee(Jesse)!!" And his baby babble is getting more word-ish every day! He's probably at around 40-50 words, tho you can't always distinguish what they are at the time. He's trying sooo hard tho. I also, as a joke, started singing Dominic the Donkey to him and now he's "lalala la lala la la"ing all over the place. It's adorable!!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you He's still in the National Guard, but his unit in NY doesn't have a position for him to go back to so he has to find a civilian job in another state and join a national guard unit there. It ended up working out well, and the job prospects for him in his field are great.

at the "ew, a bug" when he doesn't want to eat something. I would have a hard time not laughing at that. Laine hits her brother, mostly because he hits her too. I'm seeing a preview now of what our later years are going to be like.

User Tag List