Mothering Forum banner

toddlers and fevers question.

477 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Latte Mama 
#1 ·
Hi:

So i am trying to get some insite about this. Basically, what temp (taken in armpit w/ a good digital thermometer, sorry not doing the butt) for a 17 month old is time to worry? What temp would be one where i should try and lower it, rather than "let the fever do its job?"
I can't seem to get a straight answer about this. I know its also important to see how the child feels/is acting.

If the kid is just being more whiney/clingy, but still ok not lethargic.

I tend to give some fever meds if its around 102/103 to lower the temp.....and i suppose i would worry if it reached 105? Does that seem right?

Thanks.
-L

#3 ·
IME as a nurse, so I've done more than a decade of temps, armpit temps are not the best at being accurate. That's just an FYI in case you ever wanted to work on the issue of taking a rectal temp. I have a really good tympanic thermometer and I still do rectal temps as they are the most accurate.

Anyway. I medicate my DS usually if his fever is over 102 AND he is uncomfortable. However, anything creeping close towards 104 gets medicated no matter what. I'd like to prevent febrile seizure if possible.

I really do like to let the fever do its job though so I hold off on meds if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.