Eyelashes too long? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Multiple times in the past 2 weeks DS's upper eyelashes have gotten stuck UNDER his lower eyelid -- while the eyelashes are still attached, so it's very painful for him & every time he blinks it scratches his eye. Luckily now he tells me right away "boo-boo eye!!" when it happens so I can get them out but I wonder if there's anything I can do to prevent this??? I've had lots of loose eyelashes get stuck in my eyes but never ATTACHED eyelashes. His lashes are very very very long.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Since it's happened more than once and it hurts him, I'd trim his lashes while he's sleeping (use nail scissors or embroider scissors if you have them) . I don't think lashes grow more with age, so as he gets older and has a larger eye socket they should stop getting caught.
#3 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM

I dunno.

FIL has to get his eyelashes trimmed every now and then, or they rub on the lenses of his glasses.
#4 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are they really that long? Or are they pointing down too? I was just at the eye dr and they said I had blepharitis which is weird infection thing in the lid/eyelash area/whatever, and one of the symptoms is eyelashes growing in funny directions, causing them to end up in the eye sometimes. I found that online later, which is what made me quit rolling my eyes at the idea... I would look into it. She said to wash the eyelid area with baby shampoo (and that it had to be johnson & johnson's for some reason) and I've been doing it for a couple days and I definitely feel less of a compulsion to be fooling with that eye.
#5 of 8 Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 PM

How did you get the attached eyelashes out from under his lid?  My 22 month old has done this tonight and it is a large section of his eyelashes and he won't let us get them out.  He squeezes his eyes shut and cries.  He just fell asleep, problem still is there though.  I will call my doctor in the morning, also.  Thanks

#6 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

I just used my thumb to pull his upper eyelid up... it was pretty easy... so maybe your DS's issue is a little different. Poor kid, I hope it resolves in his sleep!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelady View Post

Are they really that long? Or are they pointing down too? I was just at the eye dr and they said I had blepharitis which is weird infection thing in the lid/eyelash area/whatever, and one of the symptoms is eyelashes growing in funny directions, causing them to end up in the eye sometimes. I found that online later, which is what made me quit rolling my eyes at the idea... I would look into it. She said to wash the eyelid area with baby shampoo (and that it had to be johnson & johnson's for some reason) and I've been doing it for a couple days and I definitely feel less of a compulsion to be fooling with that eye.

I know nothing of the infection and it's cure so what I suggest may be silly, but what about using breast milk instead of J&J? (Of course, that's assuming you have some available.) It certainly will not hurt and has anti bacterial/anti viral properties. I've used it to cure infected tear ducts and it worked like a charm.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#8 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Okay, so this may be completely not doable, but I have long eyelashes that are very straight and they get in my eyes, sometimes (though not seemingly as bad as what you described).  I use an eyelash curler everyday to prevent this.  Not sure if you could manage it on a toddler, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page