Eyelashes too long? - Mothering Forums
Life with a Toddler > Eyelashes too long?
crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 10:04 PM 10-05-2010
Multiple times in the past 2 weeks DS's upper eyelashes have gotten stuck UNDER his lower eyelid -- while the eyelashes are still attached, so it's very painful for him & every time he blinks it scratches his eye. Luckily now he tells me right away "boo-boo eye!!" when it happens so I can get them out but I wonder if there's anything I can do to prevent this??? I've had lots of loose eyelashes get stuck in my eyes but never ATTACHED eyelashes. His lashes are very very very long.

sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 11:04 PM 10-05-2010
Since it's happened more than once and it hurts him, I'd trim his lashes while he's sleeping (use nail scissors or embroider scissors if you have them) . I don't think lashes grow more with age, so as he gets older and has a larger eye socket they should stop getting caught.
ellemenope's Avatar ellemenope 11:17 PM 10-05-2010
I dunno.

FIL has to get his eyelashes trimmed every now and then, or they rub on the lenses of his glasses.
somelady's Avatar somelady 10:26 PM 10-06-2010
Are they really that long? Or are they pointing down too? I was just at the eye dr and they said I had blepharitis which is weird infection thing in the lid/eyelash area/whatever, and one of the symptoms is eyelashes growing in funny directions, causing them to end up in the eye sometimes. I found that online later, which is what made me quit rolling my eyes at the idea... I would look into it. She said to wash the eyelid area with baby shampoo (and that it had to be johnson & johnson's for some reason) and I've been doing it for a couple days and I definitely feel less of a compulsion to be fooling with that eye.
Kimoki's Avatar Kimoki 08:33 PM 11-21-2010

How did you get the attached eyelashes out from under his lid?  My 22 month old has done this tonight and it is a large section of his eyelashes and he won't let us get them out.  He squeezes his eyes shut and cries.  He just fell asleep, problem still is there though.  I will call my doctor in the morning, also.  Thanks

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 07:31 AM 11-22-2010

I just used my thumb to pull his upper eyelid up... it was pretty easy... so maybe your DS's issue is a little different. Poor kid, I hope it resolves in his sleep!

AbbieB's Avatar AbbieB 10:20 AM 11-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelady View Post

Are they really that long? Or are they pointing down too? I was just at the eye dr and they said I had blepharitis which is weird infection thing in the lid/eyelash area/whatever, and one of the symptoms is eyelashes growing in funny directions, causing them to end up in the eye sometimes. I found that online later, which is what made me quit rolling my eyes at the idea... I would look into it. She said to wash the eyelid area with baby shampoo (and that it had to be johnson & johnson's for some reason) and I've been doing it for a couple days and I definitely feel less of a compulsion to be fooling with that eye.

I know nothing of the infection and it's cure so what I suggest may be silly, but what about using breast milk instead of J&J? (Of course, that's assuming you have some available.) It certainly will not hurt and has anti bacterial/anti viral properties. I've used it to cure infected tear ducts and it worked like a charm.

Lilygoose's Avatar Lilygoose 10:57 AM 11-22-2010

Okay, so this may be completely not doable, but I have long eyelashes that are very straight and they get in my eyes, sometimes (though not seemingly as bad as what you described).  I use an eyelash curler everyday to prevent this.  Not sure if you could manage it on a toddler, though.

Up