How long do you stay home with a cough/cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there is no easy answer to this question! My 3 yo has been "sick" all fall (I sorta wonder if its b/c this is her first fall where she isn't nursing). It all seems to be pretty harmless....runny noses and a cough. The cough sounds kind of nasty but she is always in good spirits and has never had a fever. She does have a hard time sleeping sometimes b/c she does cough enough to wake her a couple of times a night. I've been keeping her home for about 5 days now b/c if I were another parent I wouldn't want her around my kiddo! Now, having said that-we are going a bit stir crazy! We are also scheduled to take a weekend trip and see some friends (with a pregnant momma and a 3 yo as well). I'll be on my own with two kids for a couple of days, staying in a hotel. If we need to "stay in" I think I just don't want to go. If I have to be stuck inside, I'd rather be home where I can work on projects, etc.

We are almost completely vax free and I think that makes me feel extra responsible in some way for not spreading my kids germs (although, I think that's a bit irrational on my part).

So, does anyone have a rule of thumb they follow with this kind of thing (the endless cold)?

Thanks from the land of snot!

Sarah, SAHM to dd C (8-9-07) and C (5-27-10), happily married to DH for 10 years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM

I would ask the pregnant mama (I know when I've been pregnant, I'm extra germaphobic,) but even then runny nose and cough doesn't bug me. Chances are my kids have been exposed to/have already had the same germs.

Runny noses just comes with the territory, IMO.

I do bring wet wipes and wipe my kids hands/nose frequently, and teach them to cover mouth in their elbow with some success, but don't sweat it.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM

If she were an adult w a runny nose and cough (depends on the cough) that lasted that long w/o other symptoms, i would blame allergies before a cold. I know at this time of year my allergies go insane.

My point I suppose being that without any other symptoms, and assuming its not an obviously "sick" cough, i would continue w business as usual.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

It depends. I would continue to go to public places -- it seems wherever we go there are usually 2 or 3 kids with sniffles or whatever anyway and we just don't worry about it or worry about adding our mildly-coughing DS to the mix. But I would try to avoid being around newborns/immunocompromised in playdate-type situations. I guess generally if DS isn't feverish and is functioning normally with minimal symptoms, we continue with regular activities for the most part.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List