Do you cook/bake with your toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some ideas!

My 22 month old son helped me make muffins the other day and LOVED pouring things into the mixing bowl from the measuring cups and spooning the batter into the muffin tin. Now when we go into the kitchen in the morning, he jumps into his learning tower and says 'help' (meaning he wants to help me).

Unfortunately, I don't often cook things that involve combining ingredients into a mixing bowl! Often, it's straight into the pot/pan. I tried giving him some water to pour into the bowl...that, of course, wasn't the same. I tried giving him some cheaper ingredients to mix up (salt, baking soda...without any finished product in mind) while I was trying to make supper. He was heartbroken when it turned out we weren't going to eat what he made.

I we have scrambled eggs, I let him stir them a bit. I was thinking he might be able to use a dull knife on cheese or something, but other than that, I don't have many other ideas. Short of baking every day, I can't come up with many things for him to do. Any other ideas?

TIA!!
#2 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM

DP is a professional cook, so DS is always in the kitchen with Papa. DS is 15 months and still enjoys hanging out on Papa's hip, or has his own pot and pan to bang around. He has his own cupboards as well.

This afternoon we are shredding cabbage to make sauerkraut!

'09   
#3 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you bake your own bread? That would probably be really fun for him. He could help with all the dumping of ingredients, but could also knead the dough for his own mini loaf. You could even get a little mini loaf pan so that his can bake separately, I'm sure he would be so proud to eat his bread!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM

I involve my kids in cooking all the time. What sorts of things do you tend to cook?

Let's see.... you could show him how to carefully dump ingredients into the pot/pan (if there's not hot water that could splash up). He could help grease the pan if you're using oil or butter or something. Stirring is always good. You can have him hold an egg with you while you crack it, or hold knives with you while you (carefully) chop vegetables. He can use dull knives on his own to cut softer things (butter, cheese). He can help measure/pour any seasonings you use.

Edited to add: Tenderizing meat is also a big hit (unless you're vegetarian, obviously)
#5 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM

I'm curious to hear ideas, I don't bake much either and most of my cooking process is cutting veggies, so it's hard to involve DS in the cooking. Plus we don't have (and can't afford or fit one in our kitchen) a learning tower. But he's helped me make hummus, pouring the chickpeas and spices into the food processor... he loved that...

ETA: Now that I think about it, there's a lot he COULD do -- adding spices, putting chopped veggies & olive oil in the pan, etc -- but I'm always rushing around and don't have time or patience for that.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM

DS "helps" me quite a bit but I do a lot of baking & cook dinner every night. Mostly, he just likes to be involved & watching, but he also likes to stir stuff & have his own utensil/bowl to hold.

I would just start letting him help you do whatever you were already going to do. He can probably open/unwrap food. Wash produce. Put ingredients in pots/bowls. Press buttons on appliances. Place items (silverware, condiments) on the table.

If you want to bake more with him, I'd do more muffins, quick breads, cookies, etc - they're all pretty easy & not too time consuming. Pumpkin bars are great this time of year!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#7 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Here's what we do.

Actual baking ideas:
Pancakes (she loves apple cinnamon where I shred an apple into them)
Bread
Pizza crust (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html)
Sweet Potato Bars http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bar/sweet _potato_bars_recipe.html (but I use just whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup agave nectar instead of sugar) with cream cheese frosting (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/798)
Taco Salad (or any salad for that matter)
She loves watching me make smoothies in the blender

Baking toys:
Giving DD a pot filled with blocks and a large stirring spoon works wonders.
Cutting food toy, DD's totally obsessed!! http://www.melissaanddoug.com/dyn_prod.php?p=487
Use an empty box and contruction paper to make a mini stove to play with. We let DD use our cooking mittens

ETA: We have a super small kitchen (it's really just a closet) and we have a small step stool that DD stands on.
#8 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM

I definitely cook and bake with my kids. DS like is far more that DD does though. One thing I try to do is make stuff that can be mixed and then dumped into the pan together. I also do all of what Blumooned posted, though DS isn't too happy with just watching he like to be part of the process.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#9 of 44 Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Washing veggies!

My 20 month old loves stirring and dumping, which is great for baking, like you said. But if I'm doing a dinner that involves a lot of veggies (which is much of the time), I'll give him some carrots or greens something and a bowl of water and let him wash them, then hand them to me to chop. He loves it. Especially if he gets to pick them in the garden first.
#10 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 AM

We got this for DD for her b-day this year. It is great and makes her feel like she's really helping. She also has her own cutting board by the same company.

Kids kitchen knife: http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Chef-M...7118739&sr=1-4

She's always liked cooking, so I include her most of the time. When she was 2-ish she loved spinning salad. Scooping cookies is another thing she enjoys. She's 4 now, but DS is now wanting to be involved.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post
Baking toys:
Giving DD a pot filled with blocks and a large stirring spoon works wonders.
Cutting food toy, DD's totally obsessed!! http://www.melissaanddoug.com/dyn_prod.php?p=487
Use an empty box and contruction paper to make a mini stove to play with. We let DD use our cooking mittens
We have these too and DS loves them!

'09   
#12 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMN View Post
I need some ideas!

My 22 month old son helped me make muffins the other day and LOVED pouring things into the mixing bowl from the measuring cups and spooning the batter into the muffin tin. Now when we go into the kitchen in the morning, he jumps into his learning tower and says 'help' (meaning he wants to help me).

Unfortunately, I don't often cook things that involve combining ingredients into a mixing bowl! Often, it's straight into the pot/pan. I tried giving him some water to pour into the bowl...that, of course, wasn't the same. I tried giving him some cheaper ingredients to mix up (salt, baking soda...without any finished product in mind) while I was trying to make supper. He was heartbroken when it turned out we weren't going to eat what he made.

I we have scrambled eggs, I let him stir them a bit. I was thinking he might be able to use a dull knife on cheese or something, but other than that, I don't have many other ideas. Short of baking every day, I can't come up with many things for him to do. Any other ideas?

TIA!!
You inspired me yesterday! I decided to put some munchies in DS mixing bowl, grapes, handmade tortilla chips and a plum and he loved it! Plus, then he ate his snack! He typically has an empty bowl.... no more!

Thank you!

'09   
#13 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM

My DD loves helping me bake, but she also loves handing me things or putting things in certain places (like if I'm washing potatoes, I hand them to her to put on the cutting board). She likes smelling spices too, as well as stirring and tasting whatever is on the stove. She even likes to taste raw ingredients--she sampled some raw potato the other day, just to see what it was like.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#14 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM

DD has been obsessed with cooking since about 12 months. At 19 months she can really help. It's certainly messier than cooking alone.

Baking really is the easiest way for her to be involved. I've started using it as an excuse to make zucchini bread, pumpkin bread and the like because we need to find a way to get some vegetables into her on occasion. Last night she wanted to crack the eggs. I think we'll try that when we are planning a bath right after.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#15 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM

She also loves washing fruit and veggies. Things that don't bruise easily work best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#16 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Rarely. I cook at least once a day, and bake maybe once or twice a week... but tbh, I try to get the boys occupied doing other things... they just tend to make a mess thats twice as big and just more for me to clean up. I will let ds1 help stir something if he really wants to, but tahts about it.
#17 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 PM

DD loves to help. If we are having a salad she will wash & rip up the lettuce or kale. She loves to husk corn too so we had a tonne of it during the summer as husking a half dozen cobs would keep her occupied for like half an hour while I cooked the rest of the meal.

DH also lets her mix eggs & spices for scrambled eggs & sometimes I'll give her mushrooms or a softer veggie like that to "chop" (aka mangle) with the knife from her little kiddie cuttlery set.

As a bonus I find she's more likely to eat whatever she helped us prepare like in the instance of kale chips.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#18 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Tearing up lettuce for salad is a great toddler activity! So is ripping up bread for stuffing/bread pudding and smashing crackers/cookies for making crumb crusts.

put strips of colored tape on your clear measuring cups to make it easy for the toddler to practice filling water to the right measure.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#19 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM

I am starting to try to get her to help me in the kitchen. I LOVE the idea of tearing up the lettuce. I have a breadmachine that I do bread in so I have her help me dump the ingredients into that, we have made bread several times this week as a result: Sometimes though her fine motor skills aren't up to it-makeing a half a teaspoon of sugar go from the sugar container to the bread pan without dumping half of it is tough for her sometimes.

She does like to help me gather ingredients and put them away. From carrying the meat from the freezer to the kitchen, to getting stuff in and out of the pantry, it's great. Especially since she likes to close doors, she gets to open and close them each time.
#20 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks so much everyone. I guess what I lack in creativity is made up for in an awesome online community

As a pp said, most of my cooking is cutting up meat/veggies and putting them in a hot pan, but another poster is right...he could help with that if we're careful...he is already super aware that things on the stove/oven are hot (he tells me so every time he gets close!). You've helped me see that if I'm just more mindful of what I'm doing, I can ask him to help me with lots of things!

I, too, love the tearing up lettuce idea and the masking tape on measuring cups is ingenious. I've been wanting to make more bread, so this will be a perfect opportunity for us to learn together.

Thanks, too, for the links. Great ideas for his 2nd birthday presents!
#21 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM

I just started, and it's so fun! She loves to help make pizza dough, pie crust and stuff like that. I also let her stir pots on the stove - with a really long-handled spoon of course!

Another kitchen thing she has discovered: unloading the dishwasher. She loves to pull the dishes and utensils out one at a time and hand them to me, and I love the help! I just make sure to take out the knives ahead of time.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#22 of 44 Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Wow... this makes me realize our meals are very... um, subpar... Bread??? Salads??? Breadcrumbs? PIE CRUSTS??? A big, complicated meal at our house consists of throwing some rice or pasta in a pot and sauteeing some veggies to go over it.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#23 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Oh, there are such good ideas here! As for us, I have two words:

SALAD SPINNER!

My little one also loves picking grapes off and putting them in a bowl of water. I let her "sort" through some blueberries once in the same way, but she gave each one a good pinch before putting it in the water, so unfortunately they were all ruined before I noticed, lol.
#24 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Yes, the salad spinner is one of the fun, safe things my 2yo can do. I also let her help pick basil leaves before they go in the spinner, for example.

Mainly though, I just have a bunch of playdough on hand! She plays with it on her cutting board while I chop veggies. She gets to see what I'm doing without needing to be directly involved.

I also provide any utensils or cups and such that I don't mind getting banged up and covered with playdough.

For awhile I also provided a casserole dish and some lentils, which she could scoop and pour into various small containers. It was pretty difficult getting her to keep her pouring over the dish, but if you don't mind sweeping up afterwards, it's a cheap and very engrossing activity!

If you want to get fancy, plan toys has a wooden pretend utensils set with a rolling pin and such. The whisk is made of rope so only good for non-moist uses :-)
http://www.amazon.com/PlanToys-Large...7509361&sr=8-1

The learning tower is totally worth it, if you have the money and space. We also use it for washing hands - before we were just using a chair which involved more child-lifting and wasn't as safe.
#25 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM

I love cooking with my kids! I'm in a hurry right now, but I mention using real child size cooking items on my blog http://www.montessoricandy.com (just type in snack or cooking in the search box)

I buy items from a particular place, but you can also always be on the lookout for cooking items for kids at the dollar store, etc..

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#26 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Dd loves to cook too.

She loves washing vegetables or washing dishes. She gets soaked, and so does the floor, but I just put a rug or towel down that I can throw in the wash when she's done (and don't wear socks!).

She can cut lots of veggies with a butter knife -- mushrooms, carrots if I cut them into strips first, garlic, celery, potatoes if I cut them into strips, cucumber, etc.

We never had a learning tower, just used the trip trap backwards and then a small stool when she got taller.

She also likes putting dishes away, setting the table, etc.

I agree that it is messier and takes longer to include her and sometimes I don't have the patience for it, but I think it is good for her to have the exposure to cooking.
#27 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Wow, those are some great ideas! I think I'm going to start to try to involve my daughter in dinner prep sometimes.

I have a related question about the learning tower...I've been debating buying one. I've been hesitant b/c of price of course, but also b/c of giving my daughter access to the countertops! It scares me. She's 22 months old.

I'm wondering how it worked out in your families, if you own one. If you don't own one, are you just letting them stand on a sturdy chair, or holding them?

Maybe I could also bring the food to her at her table-- but I have a sneaky feeling it might find its way into the living room or the cat's food bowl if I'm not right there
#28 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Both my DD's help me in the kitchen. Whether cooking, baking or cleaning up. I tend to give them jobs that are age appropriate. Older DD likes to help measure and pour and of course stir things. Younger DD likes to help stir, but mostly she loves to walk the empty trash to the trash can.

I tell them both to scram when I am opening and closing the oven, I am just so nervous to have them near me when I am dealing with the HOT oven.

Just last night DD1 threw all her spaghetti noodles she had left in her bowl all over the floor. So she got to pick up every noodle off the floor as I stood and held the trash bag for her to put them in. Hopefully that will encourage her to not throw food all over the place, but hey, she is 3. So..... Probably NOT!

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#29 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM

My DD helps all the time.
I found it's easier to let her help, and clean up the mess that is made and realize it might take a little longer, rather than try to keep her busy doing "kid" things and end up fighting with her to stay out of my way. They want to do what you do! I try to involve her in everyday things all the time. It makes doing them more fun and less mundane
#30 of 44 Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

i make extra jobs instead of putting stuff strait in the pan i have a bowl they go into first for son to put them into. sometimes my son chops veggies he likes veggies he can tear apart with his hands. we make a lot of soup so always lots of veggies to chop or rip.

also when we make smoothies (we have smoothies daily) he can put stuff into the blender cup before it is on the blender and being careful not to put hand in at all.

he spent a lot of the past few years helping but he is starting to not want to help as much and i miss his presence in the kitchen but meals get prepared a lot faster without him.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page