Snow boots vs. Rain boots - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in an area that gets some snow each winter. For example, last year we had 2 or 3 big snowfalls (which, here, means about 4-6 inches +) and the snow stuck around for at least a week before melting.

The last two years, ds1 has had rain boots and we just put either multiple pair of socks or big thick socks on with them. That worked just fine except for the few times we got a foot of snow and the boots let the snow in the top. But the dog has chewed up the rain boots and ds2 will need something too, so I'm wondering if I should get them both new rain boots and use the system we were using before or get some snow boots.

We can't afford (nor do I feel we need) really posh, expensive boots either way.

Curious what others think.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM

I've never bought a pair of rainboots in my life!!

Maybe you could just get snow boots & use those when it rains? Get something relatively light-weight so you can layer or un-layer depending how warm it is out... and if it's spring/summer, they can just got barefoot or flip-flops/crocs/whatever when it rains. So I guess I don't really see the point of rainboots, but maybe it's our local climate that makes the concept so foreign to me? Lol

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Snow boots are, mostly, lousy in rain.

What I'd do is grab some rain boots (go large) when they go on clearance soon, and get a boot liner to convert them for snow.

http://sabbespot.blogspot.com/2010/0...y-warmers.html here's a tute for a women's size.
#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Well, we have both, because we spend a minimum of two hours outside rain or shine.

It's a strech for money but I can hand them down and hopefully re-sell.

"That worked just fine except for the few times we got a foot of snow and the boots let the snow in the top."

I think there are rain boots that have a vinyl or waterproof liner you can pull in on top:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-For-Kids.html

Those are snow boots but see the top? How it pulls in? Here in Germany they have rain boots like that. Maybe someone can tell you what they are called.

I might use them as rain boots as well. I'll let you know how it works out, LOL!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I've never bought a pair of rainboots in my life!!

Maybe you could just get snow boots & use those when it rains? Get something relatively light-weight so you can layer or un-layer depending how warm it is out... and if it's spring/summer, they can just got barefoot or flip-flops/crocs/whatever when it rains. So I guess I don't really see the point of rainboots, but maybe it's our local climate that makes the concept so foreign to me? Lol
Depends on the type of rain. Like PDX gets a year-round drizzle that barely makes any puddles and snow melts away quickly when it happens.

Whereas here, when it does rain, there're puddles everywhere and slush remains to make life a damp cold misery for weeks after spring is technically here.

I'd wear rain boots in the snow as soon as it started thawing because in snow boots the chance of stepping into a puddle and getting wet toes (even in "waterproof" snowboots) was too much. The snow boots were only waterproof to a certain point and then the fasteners and such allowed leaks.
#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM

There are fairly inexpensive boots at places like Walmart (like $30), our independent grocer has cute, lined, warmish boots that look like Uggs for $12.

I live in the North and we buy $$$$ winter boots, because they must be good to -40C.
#7 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If rain boots with thick socks mostly worked fine last winter, I'd probably just stick with rain boots again. But if you think snow boots might come in handy, you could check thrift stores and consignment shops and pick up some cheap used ones. (It's pretty easy to find them cheap around here, but here every kid wears snow boots every day from December through March. There probably won't be quite so many available in your area.)
#8 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if it's just 2-3x a year i wouldn't worry about snow boots and just do the socks. especially for a 1yr old. for your older one i might go for snow boots for the hand-me-down factor.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM

GAITERS! That's what they are. LOL. You can buy one pair for several years. Kids' gaiters. Put them over rain boots to keep snow from falling in.

http://luckybums.com/fishingadventur...anstyle-1.aspx

http://www.altrec.com/lucky-bums/kid...4-001b2166c2c0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lucky-Bums-Kids-...item4aa1912bef

I think these would last you at least three years so you could continue your rain-boot buying until then. I'll bet small goes from ages 3 - 6 or so.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page