Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life with a Toddler (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/)
-   -   What are your favorite books for a 3 yo (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/1271678-what-your-favorite-books-3-yo.html)

Jezzy 10-16-2010 06:24 AM

Hi.. Dd (almost 3 ) LOVES books

Which are your favorite books. I live in Germany and have to order everything from amazon so I can't flip through the book before I buy it I have have already purchased a bunch of "junk" and want to avoid that)...

So... What are you reading your 3 year old?

physmom 10-16-2010 10:51 AM

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions but I just wanted to say that I know of at least two good English book stores in Frankfurt. As a lot of international churches there do book exchanges.

As to DD's current favorite books:
The Cat in the Hat (comes back)
George Shrinks
No T Rex In the library (I love that one too!)
The Gruffalo (The Gruffalo's Child)
Any Maisy books (but her favorite is Maisy Big, Maisy Small)
Go Dog Go
Are you my Mother?
A Potty for Me
It's the Best Day Ever, Dad!
Where the Wild Things Are

Jezzy 10-18-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks Physmom for the suggestions. I can't believe that no one else has any suggestions I have put all of yours on our wish list

Rlin 10-18-2010 10:52 AM

The city library in Leipzig has a good selection of english childrens books... and also the better bookshops here tend to have a selection.

Jezzy 10-18-2010 11:41 AM

Thanks for the book store suggestions. We are in southern Germany on the Swiss border with no great stores around thats why I order from Amazon

tjjazzy 10-18-2010 02:06 PM

Chloe's Windy Day went over very well when my ds1 was around 3 yo. i liked it too. it was short enough to keep his attention and pretty and i could make sounds to go along with it (like the whistling wind) as i read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Chloes-Windy-W.../dp/1862330360

the Little Critter books

Curious George books go over nicely and books in which children get to look for things (like Where is Waldo? but simpler. more like I Spy.)

p.s. an excellent site with free shipping and great prices is TheBookDepository.com

poorlittlefish 10-18-2010 03:22 PM

I second the Gruffalo
Have You Seen my Potty
Any of the Llama Llama books

JudiAU 10-18-2010 03:28 PM

How much text does your LO like? We have a wide range but I am mostly buying longer stories now.

Jezzy 10-18-2010 03:54 PM

She can sit and listen for quite awhile as long as there are pictures.

That potty book... Is it about potty learning? She has learned and has no accidents

ellemenope 10-18-2010 04:01 PM

My favorites have been:

Caps for sale
Ticki Ticki Tembo
Horton Hears a Who (hatches an egg)
The Butter battle book
10 apples up on top
Zen Shorts
Winnie The Pooh (Original)
Frog and Toad
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Little Bear

CrunchyChristianMama 10-18-2010 04:25 PM

We love the Duck and Goose books by Tad Hills. They are super cute. My DD can't always sit through them (but she just turned 2), but she loves the pictures.

PatchChild 10-19-2010 03:54 PM

Anything by Dr. Seuss
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Magazines (especially Click and Cricket)

tzs 10-19-2010 05:27 PM

"No, David." i even read it to toddlers and they love it. great illustrations.
i looooove Mo Willams, especially "Time to say Please."
Leo Lionni...I really like "Swimmy."
Lois Ehlert....the last one i read was "Leaf Man."
ohhhhhh...."good night, Mr. Night."
Eric carle has some for older toddlers, like "papa, please get the moon for me."

CrunchyChristianMama 10-19-2010 05:49 PM

I forgot to mention Mo Willems! We love his books, so funny.

meetoo 10-20-2010 09:41 AM

A third for Mo Willems!!!

This is a wonderful book if you don't have easy access to good books. We keep it in our car, so we always have something to read on hand. All three of our children enjoy it!
http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-C...0&sr=1-1-spell

We have a wonderful poetry book that is similar.

Ruthie's momma 10-20-2010 03:24 PM

I agree that it can actually be quite difficult to find high quality children's books. DD is almost 3.5 yo. She loves most anything by Margaret Wise Brown, the author of Goodnight Moon.

*The Little Island
*The Moon Shines Down
*My World
*Two Little Trains
*Give Yourself to the Rain: Poems for the Very Young
*Sneakers, the Seaside Cat
*And more!

WetMntMomma 10-21-2010 02:16 AM

My daughter is a huge Mo Willems fan as well, she also has loved the "Llama, Llama" books. We read "Who ate all the Cookie Dough" several times a day as well. I also am struggling to find good book suggestions so this thread is great for us!