Flying to the other side of the world (ADVICE?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK

we live in MI, want to go to pakistan around feb to see the inlaws. i'll be traveling alone with ds while dh stays here to finish some classes. at the end of the semester the plan is that he will come to pakistan for a few weeks, and we'll go home together.

but, to add to it, i will be taking my friend's grandma with me to pakistan, cause she cant go by herself.

my options are to go alone(me, ds, grandma) or to go with friends (me, ds, grandma, friend(not related to grandma), her DH, and her ds(3yrs old)

if i go with the friends(who have already bought tickets) i will have a 2hr flight, 5 hour layover, and another 14 hour flight.

if i go alone, i can pick a different flight, that will mean i go straight there, no stopping(18hr flight i think).

i dont fly. i've flown once as a baby, once(round trip) as a teen with my parents, and once(round trip) as a teen, alone. those 3 hr flights hurt a lot! so exhausting!

i want ds to have his own seat, he doesnt like to be held for so long. do i need to bring his car seat? we wont be using it when we get there.

i wont be bringing a stroller. my plan is to wrap him in the airport. I don't know how much luggage i will be bringing, i could probably get away with a carry on size for clothes, since i'm planning on making a ton of clothes while i'm there, and a large tote/purse for diapers, snacks, toys, and my laptop. i'm not sure what the airlines allow though, if i get DS his own seat, does he get his own carry on and personal items too? i've never been on an international flight before!(especially not with a toddler!)

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I flew to Korea a few years ago. We had a 4 hour flight across-country, and then a 14-hour flight overseas. 10 hours in to the second flight, I was sick and tired of being in an airplane (and I had 4 hours left to go).

I didn't have a toddler with me at the time, but I think I would choose the flight with the friends. Your DS may be able to play with the other child, and more adults can be good.

If you get DS his own seat, he gets his own carry-on and personal items too. The carseat, if you use it, does not count against those limits. (The flights I have been on, within the U.S., have been a LOT more lenient for families.)

Personally, we do use a carseat when we fly. Takeoff and landing are the most critical times, but turbulence can happen mid-flight as well. A toddler will certainly need to walk around during the flight(s), but when seated please do buckle him in.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#3 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would bring the carseat, yes safety is key but the main reason is because its not comfortable for them in those airline seats for that long with the lap belt on (and it seems like the seat buckled sign is on all the time now) plus little ones are quick to figure out how to unbuckle them and if you get a moody flight attendent that can mean big trouble. If your child gets their own seat (which I recomend for such a long flight) then they get the same luggage allowance. I fly all the time with my 14 month old (he has been on over 30 flights and tons internationally. I would actually recomend a break during the flights. Can you do 9 hours then a couple hour layover and then finish the flight? The layover lets them run/play and burn some energy. If you have one other adult I see no reason to pick up your friend as well. That COULD help though becuase the kids could play together. HOWEVER if one breaks down the other will probably follow.
What airlines are you flying on? (the airlines that are NOT USA based are by far the best for family travel! ) Lufthansa is my fav.

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#4 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

ok, so how do you carry the car seat? strap it onto something? or carry it? we have a cheap seat and a nice seat, should I bring the cheap one? (scenera) do I RF him on the plane? or FF?

i'll look into 2 9 hour flights. i know most flights stop in dubai, and thats about half way there. i was surprised when my friend told me the flight was so long on one plane! the friend is going PIA(pakistan air), and i hear they're pretty relaxed. My SIL was joking(?) that they let you play cricket on the plane. she was also telling me to just bring his stroller, and not buy him a seat, cause shes seen kids in strollers(in the aisle?) on PIA flights.

if i get a different flight though, i'll probably be traveling emirates chicago to dubai to PK.

I think i could handle the breakdown, since i still nurse DS, and i'll probably still be nursing him in Feb, when i go. what i might not be able to handle is letting a toddler run around in an airport(they don't have places to let toddlers loose? you'd think they'd have a playground or something in the airport! )

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#5 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Honestly if you don't regularly travel I might try to travel with your friends. It also gives more hands to help with DS. When DS was 18 months old DH, me and my in-laws went to India. It was really nice having the extra hands on the way there. On the way back it was just me and DH which worked, but it was nicer with the extra help just in case. We did a 2 hour flight then a 3ish hour layover and a 14ish hour flight and it was fine for DS.

We did bring his car seat, we did have to argue with Air India about taking it on board, but since DS had his own seat we took it, we had no problem taking it on board on the way home just the way there. We took a Scenera because it wasn't a big deal if something happened to it. We also didn't use it at all while there, but it was really useful on the plane. We did rear-face DS since that is what he was use to, it worked well for us and if we travel with one that age again we will get them their own seat and bring the car seat again. We got a rolling carrying car seat bag to carry it through the airport and put our and DS' personal items on top of the car seat inside the case, since that meant we had less to drag through the airport. I would bring the cheaper car seat if you bring one just because ended up with a ruined $50 car seat is not as big as a deal as a ruined $150+ car seat.

Some airports have children play spaces, but it really depends on the airport. Our flights with DS weren't terrible, though we did end up with DS only sleeping about 2 hours on the way there, which made the extra help so nice, and about 4 to 6 hours on the way back. We did a lot of walking up and down the aisles on our trip, which at least let DS wander some.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#6 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 AM

The first four round-trips, we used our travel system (stroller + carseat) to carry the carseat.

The fifth time we flew, he was a toddler and in a new carseat. I strapped it onto my luggage cart and carried it that way.

Those monkey/bear/other animal backpack "leashes" are great for the airport, as long as you are also paying attention. It gives a toddler freedom to roam, some, without going too far from you & gear.

For our toddler flight, since it was a year after he'd last flown, he didn't remember the routine AT ALL. And while I was trying to get things unloaded and arranged for security, DS managed to twirl his leash around his neck. I got him out of that, but it was a scary 30 seconds or so.

Many airports DO have play areas. I've started to see more of them right by the gate, even. The real question is, is the play area anywhere near the terminal(s) that you will be using? You might be able to check out an airport's webpage to find out if they do, and where.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#7 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 AM

i'd just bring the cheap one. and I use two bungy cords and strap it on to my wheeled carryon (I have tried numerous baby carseat helper things and this is my fav LOL). If you want to RF you need to make sure you in a bulkhead because other wise (at least on every flight we have been on) the seat in front of the RF seat can't recline and that person throws a fit on long flights. Bulkhead is best either way because if your LO legs are long enough they can kick the seat while FF...lose lose for the person in front of you. Car seats have to be either in a window seat or a middle middle seat so not to block anyone from exiting in an emergency. Two car seats can NOT be next to each other...so if your friend plans on bring a car seat you will not be sitting next to each other anyway. Strollers in the aisle is not legal, I'm not saying it doesn't happen.. I have seen plenty of odd things on international flights LOL. But the FAA wouldn't approve so I wouldn't bank on it, or even try it really. If you call the airline you should get a discounted ticket for a child seat. When call make SURE they put you in a Bulk head. I would check this over and over till the day you fly. Chicago has two children play areas in the airport. I haven't been to dubai with a child yet so I'm not sure if they do there. But from every other international airport I have been to most have play areas. I would look it up a head of time, and don't expect it to be near your gate LOL. Otherwise I find a close gate area that doesnt' have a flight soon and let him loose there. Most people are super friendly and many are very helpful.

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#8 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 AM

As for as issues with the Carseats. The FAA DOES permit carseats on flights (they have to have the sticker saying they are ok for planes on them--which all USA made ones do now a days). I carry a print off of the FAA rules on Carseats to "educate" the FA and I have a print out of my carseat info that states its ok for flying. Plus I have a copy of the liquid regulations from TSA to "educate" the TSA agents. Most airlines have the info online and it IS worth printing and taking with you!!!!! I have issues with the FA/TSA not knowing THEIR rules on half my flights!! With that in mind you should get a infant life jacket handed to you before take off...make sure you get one! (them telling you they will bring it if needed is NOT OK).
Also make sure you sign the little one up for frequent flyer number! LOL they get miles for their flights also. And you can have a special child's meals order for them as well.
Emirates is great! They actually have strollers you can borrow while in the Dubai airport! They have bassinetts on their flights (bulkhead) if your little one is less than 30incs and 11kg. How ever their only real fall back is you can NOT RF on the plane you have to FF... not a big deal at this age.

#9 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

just remembered that this friend also has a will-be 9 month old!

ok, so if i go with the friend, we will be traveling Delta(domestically) and PIA. If I go on my own(me, DS, grandma) I will be going emirates or ettihaad. i'm still not sure what I want to do!)

ok wow, so people actually have trouble getting their car seats onto the planes? eek! (i do know that some car seats are approved for aircraft and others aren't. and i also know that my car seats ARE FINE for an airplane. and yeah, i am pretty sure I want to RF him on the plane, not for safety, but for ease. I can better interact with him RF and feed him and stuff...

DS likes to sit in a chair, but are those seat belts really enough for a toddler? (not thinking safety as much as i'm thinking about my toddler escaping!) I would think he would be more comfortable in the car seat than in the seat on his own(and theres no way i'm holding him for so so so long!

I also still need to buy luggage(i think? I have a tote bag that I usually use for a diaper bag, and a couple of duffles, backpacks, that I could use for carryons...) I'm gonna try to get away without checking anything, but that might not really be a good idea(more to carry?) and maybe not even feasible(I have to bring gifts for the in-laws, some of which may not be allowed in carryons(large snack packages or drinks?)) but i'm still going to need at least 2 bags on the plane (for diapers, extra clothes, snacks, toys, laptop, and sanity)

anyone ever travel ettihaad before?

#10 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to her again, shes not taking any carseats. the little one will be on mom or dads lap for the flight, and the older one will be sitting on his own, in his own seat. So, they could sit next to each other in the plane, right? I really want DS to have a car seat, cause I want him to sleep in it. and hopefully, PIA will be good about a car seat on the plane(should i call them about it? will it matter? or does it just matter what kind of luck i happen to get?). I can always gate check the car seat if we don't use it on the plane for some reason, right? (probably wont bother using it on the 2 shorter flights)

so I think i will probably go with them.

Anyone other suggestions for international travel with a toddler?

#11 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM

they could sit next to each other with the car seat in the window and them in the next two seats or carseat in the middle middle (that would kind of suck though with a lap child also). But you will not be able to sit next to them with or without the car seat. Because two lap seat children can't be in the same row due to limited amount of airmasks.
When you book your tickets make sure you tell them you have car seat and ask for a bulkhead row! You can gate check the carseat if you like, make sure to have a bag to protect it.
Make sure you have snacks they will like for the flight because the airline food isn't that great LOL

#12 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

we have that thin plastic bag that came with the scenera, that should do, right?

and there wont be 2 lap children, just one. her DD is a lap child, her DS and my DS will have their own seats(her DS will be sitting in the seat, mine will be in a car seat in his own seat)

Is there a regulation on how many snacks or the sizes of what you can bring? can I bring homemade goodies, or do they have to be packaged?

#13 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 AM

i am actually leaving sunday to fly across the world with my toddler. on my own. still trying to wrap my mind around it.
we havent purchased a seat for him, he is under 2, and will be a lap child, we could not afford an extra seat - it's that simple, and there is no guarantee he will actually sit in it... even asleep, i would hate to spend 2000 and then have that seat empty.
i am bringing my own snacks / food. both homemade and pre packaged. if they take it away from me, so be it, ill figure sth out. most airports now you can find decent stuff. i've flown before on my own a lot internationally, and ive never had a problem with that. they might make you throw away drinks and such, but things like granola bars, nuts, etc, never seemed to bother anyone. im hoping it's still gonna be this way.
i dont think i will bring many toys, he is not into them anyway, and i cant imagine him playing with his toys on the airplane. i will bring several of his favorite books (thin), a bunny he likes to cuddle with sometimes, and a blankie he likes (i read somewhere that items like that make it easier for kids to "transition" from home to a new environment).
i will also be bringing a bag of PAPERCLIPS. my friend said she had it with her when flying with her toddler, and it kept her entertained for hours. they made bracelets, necklaces, etc. and if paperclips get lost, noone cares. i can totally see my toddler playing with something like that.
i will also be downloading sesame street on my iphone. my son is mostly tv-free with the exception when we are in somebody else's home and tv is on, but i think if he decides to throw tantrum in the midst of 12 hr flight, i will be ok with him watching some in order to keep my own sanity and that of other passengers.
when booking your ticket, make sure you allow for adequate layovers that will let your child run around enough. make sure you LET him run around, ive seen many a kid on intl flights that after being confined into a stroller in the airport, go completely wild on the plane.
make sure you have a sippy cup / binky (if he uses one) / your boob ready for take off / landing. swallowing will prevent your child's ears from hurting because of elevation change.
im also taking a stroller which probably is not an option for you since you have the care seat, but last year when we flew to HI, it was a huge help, either the baby was in there or the carry on and the baby in the carrier. there are also these things http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Todd...7634275&sr=8-2 that help you get the best of both worlds
also
something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Organics-...7634341&sr=8-2
is my favorite when it comes to portable pre packaged snacks. you unscrew them, and your child can just sort of suck on them, no mess!!! the only thing is that you have to watch sugar content in those. some companies relly put a lot in there! but there are some that are just mashed fruit, too.
anyway,
good luck!
#14 of 16 Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post
we have that thin plastic bag that came with the scenera, that should do, right?

and there wont be 2 lap children, just one. her DD is a lap child, her DS and my DS will have their own seats(her DS will be sitting in the seat, mine will be in a car seat in his own seat)

Is there a regulation on how many snacks or the sizes of what you can bring? can I bring homemade goodies, or do they have to be packaged?
Some airline have rules about how many minors can be in one row...if you all want to sit together its worth asking.
I have the cheap red gate check bag for my car seat you get at BRU. I have an expensive one for terminal checking. I would think that your bag would be fine.
As far as TSA is concerned You can bring as many non-liquid snacks as you want (they can be homemade). HOWEVER the homemade ones need to be gone or tossed when entering a new country or you can jump through some hoops and claim them and go throw the special customs lane (not worth it IMHO....but then I suck at cooking! LOL). As far as liquids go...the RULE is you can have liquids that you will need for your travel time (which can vary if you get delayed!) Now this varies TSA agent to TSA agent on how much that really is. You DO NOT have to test /"drink" any of the liquids for the agents (this is old and no longer valid). However they will/can squab the stuff (dry piece of paper then they add stuff to check for bomb stuff). And I have carried up to 2L of liquids on a flight! MAKE SURE to claim them BEFORE going through the metal detector/sending your stuff through x-ray. If you "fess" up to it early the TSA will more likely be nice to you with how much you have. If they find it and then you show them...it tends to put them in a foul mood.
Teethers and gel filled baby items are ok also. Plus your normal baby food jars. I take a ton of those individual fruit smoothie in a squeezy bag things with us.
I carry a print off of their rules so that if someone questions me I can "educate" them on what THEIR rules are. Now this is only while in the USA though. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm
Also I have a copy of the TSA rules for a carseat also so in case the flight attendant tries to tell me some thing else I "educate" them also.

#15 of 16 Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNova View Post
im also taking a stroller which probably is not an option for you since you have the care seat, but last year when we flew to HI, it was a huge help, either the baby was in there or the carry on and the baby in the carrier. there are also these things http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Todd...7634275&sr=8-2 that help you get the best of both worlds
also
I can't speak for all car seats but I own one of these and it SUCKS for the Britax roundabout... me AND my DH could barely get it on. We used it twice and gave up. And the angle that it was on there was no way I would put my kid on it while going through the airport.
I have also tried the http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-QR.../dp/B000JJK9EY and you have to put your car seat through the x-ray machine and it doesn't fit with this thing on. So you have to unscrew it and send the stuff through then rescrew it... PITA and very time consuming.
Here is the gate check bag I use- http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Gate...ef=pd_sim_ba_1

#16 of 16 Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM

I don't have much to add on the car seat front (eexcept that I personally wouldn't do it - I would just have DD on the seat if I wasn't going to use it at the other end).

I would recommend checking your luggage and having as little carry on as possible. You want to be as free as possible for kid wrangling during your layover. I would do a large-ish backpack and get a monkey leash for your child. You don't want to have to leave your baggage unattended while you run after your kids in Dubai - they might think it is a bomb etc. I would do a cross shoulder purse for passports, wallet etc then a backpack for diapers, toys etc.

I would def use Emirates - they are very good with kids I hear.

Plus make sure whatever airline you use have the individual screens that have the on demand videos/games.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page